Help with rubber selection

This user has no status.
I started playing again 2 years ago after a long break and initially was using Geospin Tacky. I also tried Sun MaxTense rubber but much preferred the control I got with Geospin. I'm very happy with using Geospin Tacky on my backhand as I normally hit or block topspin but push chop. However, I'm looking for a rubber on the forehand that will give me a little bit more speed and lift than the Geospin while still having plenty of control and spin. Does anybody have any suitable recommendations?

This user has no status.
Tacky rubbers are what you use and want a bit speed. Try dhs neo skyline 3. If you are using poly balls, according to the reviews you can use dhs skyline 3-60. I haven't used 3-60 though, hence can't give you a solid information.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'll have a look at that one. I was considering DHS Hurricane 2 and 3 or the NEO versions.

This user has no status.
Thanks. I'll have a look at that one. I was considering DHS Hurricane 2 and 3 or the NEO versions.
Hurricane 3 is a bit on spin side. Skyline 3 is on speed side. Hurricane 2 is a different and difficult rubber to play as per reviews. Skyline 2 is a pure spin rubber. Since you need speed, this rubber won't provide you that.
And yes, go for neo versions. That would be easier to play compared to traditional non neo rubbers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Chinese rubbers are way harder to use and you won't be able to make much use out of it. Their tacky and hard sponge would mean that you would have to brush the ball really well to be able to unlock its potential. However from your description before you seem to struggle to hit the poly balls which you shouldn't be cause they don't have a huge difference. I would still recommend Rakza 7 or the bluefire, acuda or coppa series from donic. Chinese rubbers are way different and these rubbers I recommended will be more forgiving and allow you to put out more spin and speed you will ever get out of chinese rubber at your level. Hope you find what you are looking for! :)

Reactions: russell
This user has no status.
Chinese rubbers are way harder to use and you won't be able to make much use out of it. Their tacky and hard sponge would mean that you would have to brush the ball really well to be able to unlock its potential. However from your description before you seem to struggle to hit the poly balls which you shouldn't be cause they don't have a huge difference. I would still recommend Rakza 7 or the bluefire, acuda or coppa series from donic. Chinese rubbers are way different and these rubbers I recommended will be more forgiving and allow you to put out more spin and speed you will ever get out of chinese rubber at your level. Hope you find what you are looking for! :)
He is using already chinese tacky rubbers. And neo series are dynamic rubbers, compared to traditional chinese rubber. Hence it should be okay for him to use dhs neo rubbers.

This user has no status.
He is using already chinese tacky rubbers. And neo series are dynamic rubbers, compared to traditional chinese rubber. Hence it should be okay for him to use dhs neo rubbers.

From what I have used, hurricane 3 neo and hurricane 3 doesn't have much of a difference because again its like traditional chinese rubbers which just the neo sponge which is basically still at the hard range. The topsheet is basically the same so it wouldn't have much of a difference. They are cheap so that's one thing its got going for it but I am 100% sure that you wouldn't be able to improve as quickly and it could hurt your game. (speaking from experience lol)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
For starters I like any DHS Neo but H3 NEO is a good first choice for the FH. For the BH I like IQUL 1.8mm sv or reg. Recently I have been playing with reg.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
Chinese rubbers are way harder to use and you won't be able to make much use out of it.
Why?

Their tacky and hard sponge would mean that you would have to brush the ball really well to be able to unlock its potential.
Well yes but then the fact they are tacky means you CAN brush the ball and the ball won't slip of the rubber.

[quote[
However from your description before you seem to struggle to hit the poly balls which you shouldn't be cause they don't have a huge difference. I would still recommend Rakza 7 or the bluefire, acuda or coppa series from donic.
[/quote]
coppa is old. I have played with the rest. I prefer Rakza 7. It is faster than the DHS Neos but it cost a lot more. Unless playing back from the table a fast rubber isn't required.

Chinese rubbers are way different and these rubbers
I don't think they are way different, just a little different.

I recommended will be more forgiving and allow you to put out more spin and speed you will ever get out of chinese rubber at your level. Hope you find what you are looking for! :)
Faster rubbers like Rakza and Bluefire may be harder to control that the slower DHS rubbers. Basically it is a matter of buy and try but it is cheaper to start with the cheaper Chinese rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I would suggest Hurricane 3-50 soft. It has lots of control, softens after a while and the spin is good. For me it can be the closest actual approximation to Geospin Tacky (which is tacky, light, slow).