How is the Sardius?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Very fast. Very hard feel. Not much margin for error. I'm not sure who would like it. It is a very old design. I never knew anyone who used it for long. I have the sense it is mainly interesting to collectors.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I like the sardius along with fast ones such as the garaydia T5000. Top end players probably don't like them for the lack of "feel" and supposed dwell time. My footwork is pretty bad and I don't swing too big most of the time. So for me, it helps get speed/power/depth on little movement, lol... maybe not something to aspire to! But if you're not jumping around like a loop monkey, then it seems to do ok. Or if you're a smash player it can work well.

It's a real dead blade. Not much difference in feel between the good and the bad shots you do!

All in all, it's only a matter of preference. Some people like to use the hard, fast setups. Those accustomed to slower/flexible blades will most likely hate them for their game.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sardius is one of those rare blades the gives you the power of feeling like Rambo himself on your un-coordinated attempts at a real TT power swing, yet at teh same time, delivers the amount of sensory feedback and feel of one who is way past punch drunk. You hit, get hit harder, and don't feel it. Then, many hours later, you awake in the street gutter with a splitting headache covered with slime and debris all over you so much a sympathetic dog wouldn't be willing to lick you.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2016
Werner schlager used primorac carbon which is similar.
And he was world champion.
Only requirement Id say is that you play close to the table.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
While I would avoid it like the plague, and I would say that Der_Echte has given a pretty good review of the blade, I would also have confess I know a couple of pretty high level players who use the Sardius:

Ernesto Ebuen is one. His USATT rating was over 2600 for quite a long time. He is a little guy who has amazing touch. So, I guess he used it for extra power.

And Ludovic Lee Freithofnig, who is about 2300-2400. He also has high level technique and good touch. I know, when he decided to change from Clipper to Sardius, it was because he wanted a faster blade. It was actually after Butterfly stopped selling them. So he had his custom made.

So, a hard blade to use. And I wouldn't recommend it for most. But, I do know some pretty high level players who use a Sardius.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
While I would avoid it like the plague, and I would say that Der_Echte has given a pretty good review of the blade, I would also have confess I know a couple of pretty high level players who use the Sardius:

Ernesto Ebuen is one. His USATT rating was over 2600 for quite a long time. He is a little guy who has amazing touch. So, I guess he used it for extra power.

And Ludovic Lee Freithofnig, who is about 2300-2400. He also has high level technique and good touch. I know, when he decided to change from Clipper to Sardius, it was because he wanted a faster blade. It was actually after Butterfly stopped selling them. So he had his custom made.

So, a hard blade to use. And I wouldn't recommend it for most. But, I do know some pretty high level players who use a Sardius.

The last kid I played who used one was a student of Ernesto. It's popularity probably grew in the 40mm ball era and I am pretty sure it is a reasonable blade now.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Truthfully, I have hit with a bunch of uber-fast blades like Primorac Carbon, Sardius, Gergly in the last two years and I know I can handle them. I just know that I would be playing with more speed and less spin and I would be playing with less wide angles and more deep balls rather than balls that land closer to the net to achieve the extra angle.

So, to me, I value how wide I can shoot and what adding a hook to a ball that leaves the side of the table before it gets even half way to the baseline does for controlling the table. But, for some people, speed trumps angles, arc and placement.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Sardius blade is very fast. it does not vibrate.people like the speed of use. currently sold in Viet Nam. some Sardius old tag perfect condition is quite expensive

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Sardius is still the best selling blade in Vietnam. I don't know where the blades come from but people say Butterfly make them for the Vietnamese market only because it's so popular here.
People like it for the speed and hard-feeling (non-vibrate). It is used by at least 50% of professional players in Vietnam who would rate about 2400-2700 USATT (my estimate), this number used to be 80% or even higher, when the popular style was FH dominance. You can call it the legendary blade in Vietnam, pro players used it, club players also used it.

Actually I never had a Sardius but played with it a few times, it's very good for powerful FH loops/smash, drive and blocking. Not very good for shots that require touch like short pushes, short serves, serve return, flicking, fishing, lobbing, backhand. Of course you can still do those things if you have great touch. So I think it's good for players who have very good touch but not enough power.

Last edited:
Sardius is the old-school carbon if you can call it that. Fast stiff blade with little or no feeling at all for the ball. I tested it a few times just to know what it is like, felt like driving a ferrari on the interstate lol. It will probably serve those players well who want extra power in their game without bothering that much about spin or accuracy. To me it felt even faster than Bty Primorac and TB ZLC, two of the fastest blade that i can think of.
It is my guess that players who would like to spin and smash would benefit most from the Sardius.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl