I need help with technique: FH loop / top-spin against short backspin ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
- Step in with your right leg

- Start your backswing at about the height of the table or only slightly below

- closed racket angle

- accelerate your waist, then forearm and wrist

- Dont be stiff, make an accelerated swing where you hold tight the moment you hit the ball

- ( as you always should ) brace your core, keep tension from your front foot throughout your legs into calves, glutes and your abdomen

- go up at the moment you hit the ball

- hit the ball when its at the highest point or when its just coming down

- hit the ball near its "back of the head"

When I find a video of it and I remember it, I can send it in.
most chinese players are pretty good at it.
Ma Long vs Lin yun ju in a match from a year ago, he sometimes did it.
As righty vs the pendulum serve of the lefty, it can sometimes happen.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
- Step in with your right leg

- Start your backswing at about the height of the table or only slightly below

- closed racket angle

- accelerate your waist, then forearm and wrist

- Dont be stiff, make an accelerated swing where you hold tight the moment you hit the ball

- ( as you always should ) brace your core, keep tension from your front foot throughout your legs into calves, glutes and your abdomen

- go up at the moment you hit the ball

- hit the ball when its at the highest point or when its just coming down

- hit the ball near its "back of the head"

When I find a video of it and I remember it, I can send it in.
most chinese players are pretty good at it.
Ma Long vs Lin yun ju in a match from a year ago, he sometimes did it.
As righty vs the pendulum serve of the lefty, it can sometimes happen.
yes Ma Long! I wanna do the Ma Long stuff. I wanna surprise my club mates and do more victory dances.

This user has no status.
I am tired of just cutting / pushing short backspin ball; too passive for my taste. I want to learn a new technique to include in my arsenal of T3H D34DLY techniques.

I want to learn how to topspin ( attack ) short backspin or half-long backspin balls.

Help please. Videos?
Theres no way you can loop a short backspin ball reliably outside of chiquita. 2nd best option is sideswipe. It creates a fast sidespin ball which can be quite disgusting for the opponents to deal with. You can even control whether it produces sidetopspin or sideunderspin which makes it even better.

Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
It is not as reliable as a chiquita or sideswipe but most often it will be a loop kill. So if it can be done at above 65-70% of the time i think it is worth it. I also like to that shot btw. I wonder what blade/rubbers are best suited for this kind of shot? I'm thinking hard rubbers ( so less spin sensitivity from the server ) and sticky or semi sticky such as 09c would be best ( so more spin for the ball to land on the table )? I usually perform them very aggresive with brush like motion over the table. MA Long seems to hit it more rather than brush it hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
T I think at low levels often the best option is to do a long push against short and half long balls and then attack the next push which likely will be long. Doing a "scrape" loop off the end or a chiquita can certainly be done but it takes a lot of practice to be good at it but pushing it until you get a long push and then attack that is often a more high percentage option.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
T I think at low levels often the best option is to do a long push against short and half long balls and then attack the next push which likely will be long. Doing a "scrape" loop off the end or a chiquita can certainly be done but it takes a lot of practice to be good at it but pushing it until you get a long push and then attack that is often a more high percentage option.
Oh now I learn the term: scarpe loop.

I tried returning my mates' short push backspin with this scrape push yesterday and I failed 100%.

Yes, I could just push long; but I am in the business to look cool, not win. Winning is just by-product for me. 😎

• Haha
Reactions: TheProfessor
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

I tried returning my mates' short push backspin with this scrape push yesterday and I failed 100%.

Yes, I could just push long; but I am in the business to look cool, not win. Winning is just by-product for me. 😎
I made up the term:). I would say it is a normal loop but you have to avoid hitting the table and get really close.

I read somewhere that at the high level a long push is getting en vogue again. Like in china it was always a no-no to ever push long but now with the plastic ball some prefer to push long and hit the first counter loop rather than risking to hit a bad open up loop that gets crushed.

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Tony,

I am such a spin idiot. Are you feeding the player half long topspin or backspin? To me it looks like topspin or no spin but the way she loop is as though the incoming ball has backspin. I am such a idiot on spin reading. I am confused.

If it is topspin or no spin, the balls should all be flying off the table, yes?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Tony,

I am such a spin idiot. Are you feeding the player half long topspin or backspin? To me it looks like topspin or no spin but the way she loop is as though the incoming ball has backspin. I am such a idiot on spin reading. I am confused.

If it is topspin or no spin, the balls should all be flying off the table, yes?
my fed was no spin
the ball is half long and will dip
the training was to hit the ball around table height.
due to the location of the ball, you can't hit forward so can only hit upwards
this will be the same motion if it was underspin too, with only timing being different.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
my fed was no spin
the ball is half long and will dip
the training was to hit the ball around table height.
due to the location of the ball, you can't hit forward so can only hit upwards
this will be the same motion if it was underspin too, with only timing being different.
In my usual game play, if the ball has no spin, and I were to loop upwards, the ball will surely fly over the table. Why is she able to get the ball on the table. Is it due to her brushing the ball thinly?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2023
Read 1 reviews
I am tired of just cutting / pushing short backspin ball; too passive for my taste. I want to learn a new technique to include in my arsenal of T3H D34DLY techniques.

I want to learn how to topspin ( attack ) short backspin or half-long backspin balls.

Help please. Videos?
Do you play close to the table? Cause there are two ways to loop a backspin ball, looping when the ball passes the endline and drops similar to Tony's video (with backspin) or the easier but harder to master is to loop (you can flat hit it too) the ball right after the first bounce before it reaches its peak.

If you generally play close to the table then try the latter, when your opponent pushes the ball wait for it to hit your side of the table and then quickly hit it while it's still rising up. If you hit the ball as it's reaching its peak then you can use all that upward momentum of the ball to your advantage. If you time it right, you can flat hit it since the upward momentum nullifies the backspin.

The hard part is that hitting over the table is not easy and getting the timing right is a bit difficult. Give it a try as it doesn't require a precise technique but rather needs quick movement and timing.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023

Good motto to live by, look cool not win.

This user has no status.
In my usual game play, if the ball has no spin, and I was to loop upwards, the ball will surely fly over the table. Why is she able to get the ball unto the table. Is it due to her brushing the ball thinly?
Body usage on the loop has two parts, you have to lift the ball with your right leg and then press it down on your left. A lot of ppl do the former but not the latter and this is why the ball tends to fly off when its topspin - theyre always giving a lot of lift to the ball but never pressing it back down. The girl is using the body perfectly to control the trajectory and pressing the ball down at the end of the stroke. It's not about thin brush at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Body usage on the loop has two parts, you have to lift the ball with your right leg and then press it down on your left. A lot of ppl do the former but not the latter and this is why the ball tends to fly off when its topspin - theyre always giving a lot of lift to the ball but never pressing it back down. The girl is using the body perfectly to control the trajectory and pressing the ball down at the end of the stroke. It's not about thin brush at all.
In other words, it's more of a right to left weight transfer rather than down to up. For most loops the racket goes forward more than upward. The girl misses long often because she's not going forward enough. Sometimes she tanks into the net because she didn't time the acceleration well, but she'd adjust for the next ball incorrectly by lifting more which when timed correctly results in missing the table.

This user has no status.
In other words, it's more of a right to left weight transfer rather than down to up. For most loops the racket goes forward more than upward. The girl misses long often because she's not going forward enough. Sometimes she tanks into the net because she didn't time the acceleration well, but she'd adjust for the next ball incorrectly by lifting more which when timed correctly results in missing the table.
Yes you can tweak the amount of lift and pressing down easily with your body instead of with the arm.

There's also 2 ways of looping half long balls. One is a slow spinny loop (which the girl is doing) where you wait for the ball to drop - the other one (my preference) is much more forward and hitting focused - you never wait for the ball to drop, just for it to come off the end of the table. Imo both are very difficult and the girl is training more of the former. Especially against good servers sometimes it is very easy to misjudge where the 2nd bounce will land.