Ideas for makeshift return board/spin "measurement" device

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

And that is exactly why I asked Archi to post this video. In his video of him playing you can see the contact is flat. In the video where he is self hitting you can see he is trying to spin but getting very little and hence the balls bounce lazily away from the wall behind after they hit it. It also seemed pretty obvious to me that his rubber was WAY TOO DEAD, and even when it was new it probably wasn't very good for spinning the ball in the first place.

Now, spin contact, I don't think that is very hard to learn. Especially since the basic technique of his strokes, AS NextLevel, has pointed out before, is fundamentally sound.

His strokes are not the problem. Learning the correct contact for spin would probably be easy.

But, I have a feeling the rubbers are too dead for effectively learning brush contact.

So, for Archi's spin contact to improve, my guess is, new rubbers would be really worthwhile.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Could you post a video of yourself doing the same drill so we can see the contrast? Curious.

Hehe I was going to make the effort to make a video but the Killerspin video already demonstrates what I was going to show. It will probably be better than my own video with all that explanation, camera work and video quality. So txs for saving me the trouble :D

says what [IMG]
I should probably grab myself a few decent sheets, then.

Although it's not that I don't know how to brush the ball at all. It's more so a case of I can't control the spin on the way down, and if I use the same arm motion I do when serving heavy, I'll be picking up the ball from the corner of my room.

Learning to spin hard, but then make the right contact to bounce it up will help my strokes, correct?

I did a few hours of hitting thrown balls today and I concluded that I have still a very slight flat hit bias in all my strokes. The angle is correct, but the contact often does not go over the side of the ball, but travels slightly into the ball. I understand that I'd want to try to slice a peel off, but right now I'm taking a small chunk off the side. I don't have this problem in serves, because I've been practicing it the correct way for as long as I can remember.

Maybe because my rubber is not very reliable in terms of generating spin on contact, I have some "insurance".

Either way, what do you guys think is the best way to train this problem away? A video of you performing the drill wrong, then right with some explanation would be good.

Should I just strive to not hit so flat and keep missing balls until I get it? Is the rubber far too dead and crappy to ever be worth improving with?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
the rubber far too dead and crappy to ever be worth improving with

Although it's not that I don't know how to brush the ball at all. It's more so a case of I can't control the spin on the way down, and if I use the same arm motion I do when serving heavy, I'll be picking up the ball from the corner of my room.

Learning to spin hard, but then make the right contact to bounce it up will help my strokes, correct?

I did a few hours of hitting thrown balls today and I concluded that I have still a very slight flat hit bias in all my strokes. The angle is correct, but the contact often does not go over the side of the ball, but travels slightly into the ball. I understand that I'd want to try to slice a peel off, but right now I'm taking a small chunk off the side. I don't have this problem in serves, because I've been practicing it the correct way for as long as I can remember.

Maybe because my rubber is not very reliable in terms of generating spin on contact, I have some "insurance".

Either way, what do you guys think is the best way to train this problem away? A video of you performing the drill wrong, then right with some explanation would be good.

Should I just strive to not hit so flat and keep missing balls until I get it? Is the rubber far too dead and crappy to ever be worth improving with?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says what [IMG]
the rubber far too dead and crappy to ever be worth improving with

That's what I'm starting to think, too.

I'm really wanting to get a few sheets of Dawei XP2008 because it seems like a steal, but I can't find a place that sells it here/won't molest my wallet with delivery costs way overseas. Any suggestions?

This user has no status.
That's what I'm starting to think, too.

I'm really wanting to get a few sheets of Dawei XP2008 because it seems like a steal, but I can't find a place that sells it here/won't molest my wallet with delivery costs way overseas. Any suggestions?

Whats your budget and current blade if i may ask?

says what [IMG]
Whats your budget and current blade if i may ask?
Budget is "I don't know if I'm gonna eat tomorrow, so I can't really use my money" and my blade is a crappy ALL premade.

I guess as a general figure, if I get to a position where I can spend money, I'd be willing to use total 60EUR or so for a complete setup. Shouldn't be a problem because I'd just need a slow blade and some decent rubber. Buying a Palio blade for less than my budget is appealing to me, but I can't invest the money right now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Budget is "I don't know if I'm gonna eat tomorrow, so I can't really use my money" and my blade is a crappy ALL premade.

I guess as a general figure, if I get to a position where I can spend money, I'd be willing to use total 60EUR or so for a complete setup. Shouldn't be a problem because I'd just need a slow blade and some decent rubber. Buying a Palio blade for less than my budget is appealing to me, but I can't invest the money right now.
You really should send Carl 10 Euros for saving you from yourself. But I am sure you need the money more than he does ;).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

So, here are the two basic things:

1) if you actually knew how to brush for real, the ball coming down would be very easy to control because you know the right contact. With the right contact that exercise is very easy. And with new rubbers that grab well you can learn it.

2) If what you do for heavy serves would end your ball further than the palm of your left hand as in Brett's video and you couldn't swing to spin heavy and have the ball spin fast but not go far, then it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY--as your most recent video shows--that you really know how to make the refined contact for spin contact. The instability and unsteadiness of how you hold your blade face in that simple exercise also shows that to be the case. You can't make that contact without the blade face being stable and while you are holding your racket the blade face is wobbly.

The good news is, if you admit to yourself that you may not know something and that you may not know what you don't know, then you just might be in a perfect position to learn what you don't realize you don't know.

Let's see if I understand this: you are talking about in that little touch exercise? If your contact is correct when the ball is dropping, it will help you learn the feel of barely grazing the ball but getting the rubber to really grab the ball. This will not help your strokes. And perhaps your strokes are fine. But it will help your contact. And without more refined contact and a more stable blade face, it will be quite hard for you to learn to spin the ball well. FOR THAT YOU WILL NEED RUBBERS THAT CAN GRAB THE BALL. Anyone who looks at that video and can make the right kind of contact can see that the ball is slipping off your rubber which means that, even with the right contact, that rubber doesn't have enough grip to grab the ball well. Therefore you are handicapping yourself by trying to learn good technique with equipment that is not capable of performing the technique.

The only person you will handicap is yourself though.

It may very well be that those rubbers are not allowing you to learn the contact of looping.

Again, someone who loops well may be able to loop with your rubber. But not because the rubber is good. Instead because the player's contact is good. But trying to learn to create the right kind of contact with dead rubber isn't likely to go well.

I've seen plenty of guys with seriously dead rubber able to serve with decent spin. But the real test of how good your spin contact is, on serving would be, being able to serve heavy, and short. Like the contact on the serve at the beginning of the killer spin video. Or like some of the contacts Brett makes when he is spinning the ball and catching it. A few of those are really heavy with soft contact and a relaxed forearm/wrist whip. So if you are trying to make heavy spin contact and the ball flies across the room, it is worth knowing: THAT AIN'T IT! If you put all your effort into spinning the ball, there shouldn't be much foreword momentum on the ball. Your racket should pull past the ball while the ball is on the rubber.

@Suga D: can you post that pull ball vid you created for Professor PNut?

Either way, what do you guys think is the best way to train this problem away?

The first thing would be simple: you need new rubbers Brah! Get em! You could get cheap ones. You could get Dawei 2008XP. You could get Chinese Tacky rubbers:
They are good for spin contact, last a long time and are pretty cheap. You could get real equipment: Baracuda, Aurus Soft, FX-P, FX-S. Those are good rubbers for learning to spin.

Should I just strive to not hit so flat and keep missing balls until I get it?

Not unless you are into pain and punishment. This is a futile cause with the rubbers you are currently using.

Is the rubber far too dead and crappy to ever be worth improving with?

Now you are getting the picture and why so many of us could see in your first video that you flat hit and didn't make spin contact.

And that was why I asked you to try that exercise. That exercise made clear exactly what we were seeing. You need to learn the right contact. It shouldn't be too hard for you. But you need rubbers that can grab the ball.

I recommend you might as well get an acceptable blade while you get the rubbers. It can be decently inexpensive. Like Yinhe/Galaxy 896 blade is $16.00 (USD). Rubbers in the price range of $8.00-$20.00 per sheet: there are dozens of excellent rubbers you could get.

Say you got:
Galaxy 896: $16.00
Dawei 2008XP $8.00
And you splurged on the FH rubber and got Air Illumina Delta $18.00

The total price of the setup would be $42.00 and a place like Colestt would give you a build a combo deal of $40.00 or so. If you went budget and got 2008XP on both sides, the total price would be $32.00 and the combo price at Coles is $30.00.

Other popular rubber options might be things like 729 Focus III Snipe for $14.00.

You do need new rubbers. It might be fun to just spend a few extra $$ and get a whole new setup.

Good luck bro. Without good rubbers, like the Killerspin video says, it is hard to learn the proper contact technique.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
I've played with some cheap Chinese blades and rubbers before, and I really liked the feel even thought it was a thick blade with 2mm sponge on both sides. So I will probably try to get my hands on an 896 and two sheets of 2008XP.

I can probably handle a better forehand rubber, but I'd rather take the economic AND simple path, having same rubber on both sides. Speed and placement is really not an issue, so as long as it can spin, I'm fine.

It's not that I don't want new equipment: I'd not even have a problem buying two identical setups so I have a backup and a blade I can lend to whoever I play, and I do have money. I have enough money on me to buy a pretty expensive blade with tensors on both sides and not use up all of it at once, at least.

Thing is, S could HTF any moment for me, and I might need the money. You can't eat rubber (At least it's not recommended) and table tennis won't pay my rent. :p

I'm still looking for any kind of job that would earn me any kind of money, because 27~ eur is only a few hours of work. But let's just say that you need several years of training just to sweep the damn floors in some place. It's absurd.

EDIT: I checked Colestt. Shipping would end up essentially doubling the price for the 33USD special with 2008XP. That's a lot of value down the drain...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Carl, we officially give you the title of Zen Master , now I can understand the practical benefits of practicing yoga !! I hope someday I get the privilege of learning that from you !!
Yeah. I agree. That is one good post. I wish I could hit the like button more than once. Gotta talk to Dan about that. Hahahahaha.

says what [IMG]
I think there is a place that sells similar stuff that ships to Europe for not a whole lot. Who knows one of those places? I remember Der_ linking to one when he was in Korea.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus
There are Swedish and German stores, and also one Finnish store that ships here, and the shipping costs are somewhat reasonable in the sub-10eur range for a few rubbers and a blade, instead of 25 eur shipping for just a rubber (Price of a few decent low end sheets!).

Only problem is, they basically only sell high end rubbers like Tenergy, Xiom, Stiga etc. I'd much rather spend just a little over 1/10 of the price on a sheet of tacky Chinese rubber that I like and that is more suited for my game, and the rest on another sheet and a decent blade. And maybe a few extra sheets. :rolleyes:

I have a lead for a job in the coming months, but there's no guarantee they'll need people. If I do land the job and own it, I'll make enough money to order a sheet of 2008XP everyday and not really feel it in the wallet.

Of course, life is not so simple. So I have to find more options for income right now. :(

says what [IMG]
I can see the slight lag in the contact and ball flying off.

Well, I have some good news. I'm turning 18 in a few days (21.4) so I got more than enough money as a present from a relative to order a few cheap sheets of rubber and even get something else I'd like and not have a bad conscience. It's basically free money and well in my 60eur budget.

So I will still keep looking for the cheapest and best alternative, because I still need to save the money, but I got some free income I can use on a hobby and my economic status also got cleared up a bit, so I don't have to save every single cent.

Maybe in the coming month, I will have acquired myself a few sheets of good beginner rubber and maybe a blade depending on what kind of deals I find. :eek:

I've not been terribly fortunate and definitely haven't got everything on a silver plate, but I really do feel like I receive some small tokens of good fortune when I'm screwed or I really want something. I never expect it, but it still comes. So I am very grateful. Hopefully in the future I can help other people with their troubles as they have helped me.

I'm still a bloody scrooge though, so don't expect me to immediately convince myself to buy anything if the delivery is too expensive or the price is not good or any other bullshit, unless of course the deal is amazing. :rolleyes:

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, good news that you will be able to afford something to make learning to play more possible. You really would be driving yourself crazy trying to learn higher level technique with the current setup you have.

And the contact in Suga D's video shows how, when you actually loop, the racket pulls past the ball and the racket speed is faster than the ball speed because your power and effort are going into spinning the ball and directing it forward. And that contact is not that different than the serve at the beginning of the Killerspin video where the racket moves forward and pulls past the ball and the ball is going slower than the racket but the ball is spinning a lot. You can see it in what Brett is doing as well. But that video of that loop that Suga D posted shows what is actually happening in good loop contact quite perfectly. You can't beat that.

Thanks Suga D.

That way of contacting the ball, there are many stages to get there. You first have to learn how to touch that very small part of the edge of the ball with a rubber that will really grab the ball. Then you have to learn how much to let the ball sink in while touching with that high angle. Then you need to learn the touch of holding the ball on the racket for longer. Then longer. Then you start feeling how to pull the racket past the ball while you are holding the ball on the topsheet. It feels pretty cool. Then you start being able to judge how much depth of impact and how much pull to apply for different shots. But when you can't do it, there is so much of this stuff that you can't really see or understand that is really happening in front of your eyes.

But you can't really learn that with bad equipment.

Which is why, for quite some time, so many of us could tell the information was off in so many of your posts on technique even though we may appreciate your enthusiasm. And with this stuff, until you can do that finer precision technique, it is really hard to understand that you are missing something.

If you go look for and read the threads where Pnachtwey was insisting he was looping when everyone could see he was not getting spin, you will see an extreme example of someone who couldn't fathom something that was beyond the ability of his current technique.

At least you can see that you have some things to learn. And I am confident you will learn them when you are able to get yourself something decent to play with.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here, I got this from Der_Echte. Try looking at

http://eacheng.net

There shipping to you might cost less than Cole's. And they may have more variety and you can choose from a larger assortment of inexpensive but good equipment.

I am sure he'll pop on here to give you some good info at some point.