ITTF World Team Table Tennis Championships Finals Busan 2024

This user has no status.
Caught up with the highlights and way too many pages in this thread... I noticed Chen flicked almost all of Hayata's serves. She still won in the end, but I would be SWEATING if that happened to me on that stage.

I hope Jang is alright. He almost passed out after his first match? Anyone heard what happened exactly?

I did read today Dang Qiu complaining about the fact that it was only his second time on table 1. The German teams have been complaining about not enough time with the balls/tables/main hall at these international events repeatedly.

Did Alexis rage? (Livestreams are geo-blocked)

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
absolutely incredible action all around. definitely stuck on the idea of playing harimoto twice but things could have been completely different too so who knows. what an effort from Korea Men and Japan Women. super excited for this final. Felix is magical and Fan is unshakable. Cant wait, think ill wake up early for it to watch live.

This user has no status.
Tbh Chen Meng just won by serving and receiving better, and all the mind games about the serve placement were just excellent. Miwa had the skills but was tricked left right and centre by Chen Meng's tricky serving. Feels bad man - I think Miwa has all the advanced skills but she really needs some more experience especially in terms of serve reading and tactics.

Reactions: dingyibvs
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Tbh Chen Meng just won by serving and receiving better, and all the mind games about the serve placement were just excellent. Miwa had the skills but was tricked left right and centre by Chen Meng's tricky serving. Feels bad man - I think Miwa has all the advanced skills but she really needs some more experience especially in terms of serve reading and tactics.
Shes young, so she has chances to progress

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Caught up with the highlights and way too many pages in this thread... I noticed Chen flicked almost all of Hayata's serves. She still won in the end, but I would be SWEATING if that happened to me on that stage.

I hope Jang is alright. He almost passed out after his first match? Anyone heard what happened exactly?

I did read today Dang Qiu complaining about the fact that it was only his second time on table 1. The German teams have been complaining about not enough time with the balls/tables/main hall at these international events repeatedly.

Did Alexis rage? (Livestreams are geo-blocked)

I also wonder what happened to Jang, what if he was not unwell. What if he played at the same level in his second game. He could've beaten FZD and Korea could've won

This user has no status.
In my humble opinion, team Japan made 4 grave mistakes:

1. Not playing Hirano in position 1 or 2. They wasted their best player on Wang Yidi.
2. In retrospect, not playing Miwa in position 3. Her inexperience was magnified in the final.
3. Hayata trying to play a rhythm disruption game against SYS on the big stage instead of going all out forehand. That was the only time she had a semblance of advantage in the rallies.
4. Late timeout at 1-1, 8-9 in the final match. At 8-7, Miwa had already lost 3 points in the forehand crossover. That game was too, too crucial.

Miwa had all the tools to beat Chen Meng, but not the experience. She beat Chen Meng in nearly all of the open rallies, but made too many fatal service and receive errors. But she can't be blamed for her age. Congrats to JNT for giving us one of the best finals we've seen in forever, congrats to Hayata for finally cracking the big 3 (the real ones), congrats to Ito for reintegrating into the team, and to Hirano for proving all her naysayers wrong by being the only player in the WTTC final to have a 100% win rate (even SYS dropped one match). To Kihara, I wanted to see you running up to your Kinoshita BFF Miwa when the championship point was won, but alas it was not to be. Still, it's great to see the five of them working together as one team. Perhaps Ito will reconsider the P card position and maybe Japan can regroup to take the bigger Olympic team gold, however slim their chances may be.
Agree - Hirano is the only one with a win against Sun Yingsha and she wasn't given the opportunity to repeat her feat.

Miwa is definitely better suited to be the 3rd player not the 1st.

Reactions: Tempest/Comet
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's pretty stupid to "go by the books" IMO, no other sport does it. Coaches of other sports change up the line up for any number of reasons all the time, for the "hot hand", for matchups, for mind games, for whatever reason. These types of rigid rules are just to offload the responsibility of choice making. If CNT had lost, Ma Lin can just blame the rules. If he'd made his own selections and they lost, then all the blame would fall on him.
It is stupid if coaching systems don't allow for playing favorites and that is a problem in this system where the coach is also the personal coach of some of the players. It's an issue inherent in most national teams selection so you have to be careful with the calls you make, especially if they will not be accepted by your top players. It ultimately takes losing or coming close to losing for some changes to be made. If WMY had gotten to the semis of the world championship instead of CXT, a lot of these issues would have magically disappeared.

Picking players because of this or that can ruin team cohesion. It would be interesting to know for example how Ito ended up playing against Romania instead of Harimoto.

Reactions: dingyibvs
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
It's interesting to consider what the result might have been if Hirano was the 1st/2nd players. While we understand the desire to give Miwa an opportunity, an experienced player like Hirano could have handled the pressure and mental demands of such a crucial match.

Miu Hirano's past experience and victories in major tournaments (e.g. championed 2016 World Cup & 2017 Asian Championships) could have intimidated the Chinese players, giving the Japanese team & herself (Miu) a psychological advantage.

However, it's impossible to predict with certainty what would have happened.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I bet all those new Taiwanese elementary school programs cost money? Do you think it gives Taiwan an unfair advantage over countries like say Vietnam who doesn't have the money to set up these types of programs for their kids? Perhaps the ITTF should add a 4th category to their chase for fairness - training? Maybe all countries should pool their money dedicated to training the youth so they can be spread evenly between all countries of the world.
You still missing the plot

did Taiwan get unfavourable advantage from ITTF DHS DF?
the 20min spot they got on T1 and T2?

stop being a dick now and read the article
even when all the money is pooled into together, it doesn't remove the triangle that China has, does it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

and when I say i'm not surprised, you know why
I do feel you need more and more people to talk about it, as it isn't right

T1 and T2 if can't be shared evenly, then rather no one uses it during practice sessions

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's interesting to consider what the result might have been if Hirano was the 1st/2nd players. While we understand the desire to give Miwa an opportunity, an experienced player like Hirano could have handled the pressure and mental demands of such a crucial match.

Miu Hirano's past experience and victories in major tournaments (e.g. championed 2016 World Cup & 2017 Asian Championships) could have intimidated the Chinese players, giving the Japanese team & herself (Miu) a psychological advantage.

I agree 100% with your conclusion. Maybe Wang Yidi would have handled the challenge that Miwa presented better? Hindsight is always 20‐20 but before a binary result event, it is really 50‐50. It's not like Hirano blew Wang Yidi off the table, it was always a competitive match despite the set score.

Chen Meng beat Hirano at WTTC in 2021 in Houston in a tight match. Sun Yingsha lost the last battle vs Hirano but Sun Yingsha is Sun Yingsha, she is always the favorite and was undefeated prior to the last match which went 7 games. It's easy to be confident about hypothetical. It's when it all blows up that we understand why conservatism reigns in such situations. China won (as expected) and Japan gave a good fight, which may have been expected by some but was far from certain to happen.

The other angle is that Wang Manyu would have shut Japan down. I understand this but we would have been confident about the same for Korean men with Wang Chuqin and Ma Long and it didn't happen. If Wang Manyu had beaten Chen Xingtong at the WTTC last year, she would be on her way to Olympics singles with confidence.

Reactions: Kopp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
You still missing the plot

did Taiwan get unfavourable advantage from ITTF DHS DF?
the 20min spot they got on T1 and T2?

stop being a dick now and read the article
even when all the money is pooled into together, it doesn't remove the triangle that China has, does it?
Someone posted that Germany Qiu Dang complained about Germany not playing much especially practice on table 1 and table 2 affecting them in the match vs Taiwan.

For dingyvbus, it is not a fairness issue to be addressed, Germany need to build a training hall and make it replicate table 1 and figure out how to bribe equipment manufacturer to get them tables and balls so they can compete with China.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
will they not show the MF live on the WTT Utube website ???
Depends on where you live. If it is covered by a local/regional contract, it will be blocked. If it is not, it will be available I think. But maybe I am wrong.

I am in the US so I watch it on espn3.com. But before the second day of quarters and semis, I used a VPN tuned to Canada and it worked fine for youtube.

This user has no status.

I agree think it's a bit too early for Miwa - it's like feeding sheep to wolves. Miu Hirano definitely had a better chance against both Sun Yingsha and Chen Meng imo. Even if Wang Manyu was playing it would be the same conclusion. I think they wanted to give CNT a surprise to mess up their expectations and preparation which was a nice try regardless. You can't be too honest in high stake matches like this, and being 1-2 down for CNT is placing huge psychological pressure on them to perform under pressure.

Reactions: Kopp and KiwiPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
From Ito’s Instagram:
Thank you for supporting the Japanese team until late at night every day. It seems like there are people who don't like the way I cheer for the players, and I think everyone has their own way of cheering. It's not like you can just say “Wow”. I'm just trying to support the players in my own way, so that they can play safely and calmly. And I think the other players are encouraging me, and doing everything I can to balance it all out.
It might be rude to say this here, but to be honest, I suppressed my frustration and told myself, I want the Japanese team and its players to win, so I had given a lot of advice.
If I don't support you, I definitely won't give you advice.
I’m not alone when cheering, and we can have fun talking and cheering without feeling lonely, which makes him a lot of fun.
I want them to feel the feelings of each player and to try to understand them in their comments and on social media. Also, I'm more concerned about the people who are rooting for the players who abuse the players or use abusive language. Each player is working extremely hard to score points one by one. Please join us in supporting these athletes so that they can do their best naturally and happily.
I will support you in my own way so that we can all win tomorrow too.
63860EF9-F7B6-4DCD-8961-7BC450B52F00.jpeg
63860EF9-F7B6-4DCD-8961-7BC450B52F00.jpeg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Someone posted that Germany Qiu Dang complained about Germany not playing much especially practice on table 1 and table 2 affecting them in the match vs Taiwan.

For dingyvbus, it is not a fairness issue to be addressed, Germany need to build a training hall and make it replicate table 1 and figure out how to bribe equipment manufacturer to get them tables and balls so they can compete with China.
When I raise that how the world is upping money to try catch China….
He brings out Vietnam or Mozambique
He is dodging the point pretty much intentionally, like hey its not China’s fault