JTTA: Selection System to be Revamped for Paris 2024

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
And WCQ has pulled out of WTT CS Incheon 2024. The lineup (FZD, WCQ, ML, and LJK) was announced last month, 2 days before WCQ lost to JWJ at WTTC 2024. The intention is written all over the wall.

https://weibo.com/7360795486/O69MOdvb2
草莓牛奶特别甜
12小时前
来自 微博轻享版
王楚钦退赛
@草莓牛奶特别甜
WTT冠军赛仁川站丨中国队参赛名单
【男单】樊振东、马龙、梁靖崑
【女单】孙颖莎、王艺迪、陈梦、王曼昱
2-22 14:05

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
Jan 2018
Table Tennis Kingdom has published a sneak peek of Hirano's interview taken in late February. She looked back on the Road to Paris and said the turning point was the match against Yokoi at Zennoh Cup Funabashi 2022.

五輪代表、そして中国戦での勝利。平野美宇の変貌「いくら苦しくても逃げないと決めていました」
https://world-tt.com/blog/news/archives/171224
2月末に平野美宇のインタビューを行った。彼女に長い代表選考レースの中でのターニングポイントを聞くと、22年11月の国内選考会(福岡)での横井咲桜(ミキハウス)戦を挙げた。「横井咲桜選手と2回戦で当たりました。1-3の5ゲーム目、3-6くらいで負けていてタイムアウトを取って、その時に天井を見ながら、『これで私のパリも終わりかもしれない』と思ったんです。『これで終わっていいのか、あと5点で終わりか』と、自問自答して、さすがに「やばいぞ、これで負けたらだめだ」と思ったら、フルゲームの11-9で勝つことができて、そこから勢いに乗れました」(卓球王国最新号より)。

パリ五輪代表選考レースは、昨年夏から伊藤美誠とのマッチレースになった。伊藤と平野は小さい頃からのライバルであり、東京五輪ではチームメイトとして団体銀メダルを勝ち取った仲間でもある。その関係性を問うと、「自分の中では伊藤選手が結果を出した時には負けたくないと思って、自分も頑張ってここまでやってこれたと思います。もちろん尊敬もしていますし、リオの時に伊藤選手が15歳でメダルを獲得したのを見て、私も年齢が若いことは言い訳にできないと思っていました。そこから本気で頑張るようになったし、小さい頃から伊藤選手に負けたくないと思っていて、他の選手とはまた違う存在でした」と語る平野。

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
And WCQ has pulled out of WTT CS Incheon 2024. The lineup (FZD, WCQ, ML, and LJK) was announced last month, 2 days before WCQ lost to JWJ at WTTC 2024. The intention is written all over the wall.

https://weibo.com/7360795486/O69MOdvb2
Scenes when Fan and Ma are unable to stop the opps, and it's a guy that Wang is really good at beating that wins the tournament 😄😄😄😄
The uproar on Weibo by Datou's fans will be unparalleled.

Jan 2018
Yes, at Lemino but a premium plan is required.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Yo mama.

https://tleague.jp/schedule/detail.php?id=739
Kihara/Nagasaki 1-2 Sasao/Aso (5, -12, -8)
Harimoto 1-3 Sun Mingyang (-7, -9, 7, -7)
Hirano 1-3 Hayata (-8, -11, 3, -6)

Hirano's streak comes to an end.
Powerhouses collide, but Nissay Red Elves are the victors this year. I expected more from Abyell given the level of talent they have. But only a small number can play in a team matchup. Hirano losing to Hayata is not surprising. I thought Miwa would have beaten Sun Mingyang though. Anyway, I did see Hayata try a BH serve. Even though she didn't win the point, she set herself up well:

Jan 2018
Miwa has lost to Sun Mingyang 3 times in a row. An absurdly small sample size?

She is already past the age of Ito when she first beat DN at the Asian Olympic Qualification for Rio 2016 and has yet to defeat a core CNT player at this point. All right, she plays double-inverted, so by this time next year, if she doesn't beat one of them, then her odds of surpassing Hirano (ATTC Champion at exactly 17 years old, after going through DN, ZYL and CM) are not good.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Miwa has lost to Sun Mingyang 3 times in a row. An absurdly small sample size?

She is already past the age of Ito when she first beat DN at the Asian Olympic Qualification for Rio 2016 and has yet to defeat a core CNT player at this point. All right, she plays double-inverted, so by this time next year, if she doesn't beat one of them, then her odds of surpassing Hirano (ATTC Champion at exactly 17 years old, after going through DN, ZYL and CM) are not good.
Sun Mingyang was one of the Ito clones, right? She hits the ball pretty hard, a more powerful rallying game than Ito I think.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Powerhouses collide, but Nissay Red Elves are the victors this year. I expected more from Abyell given the level of talent they have. But only a small number can play in a team matchup. Hirano losing to Hayata is not surprising. I thought Miwa would have beaten Sun Mingyang though. Anyway, I did see Hayata try a BH serve. Even though she didn't win the point, she set herself up well:

For a pips player, Sun's backhand is really similar to a normal inverted rubber's backhand

Jan 2018
More lame excuses from Ito (well, technically it is Murakami) for skipping the T.League playoff SF and F. The reason? Because the ball used is not the same as the one used in international competitions and Ito is a player much more affected by the ball. Hmm, she played rather well with the Yinhe seamless ball at Singapore Smash 2024, which won't be used for WTT CS Incheon 2024 (DHS seamed ball)...

【卓球】伊藤美誠、Tリーグプレーオフ欠場は「ボールの影響大きい」日本生命指揮官が経緯説明
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202403230000965.html
日本生命レッドエルフ(レギュラーシーズン2位)の村上恭和監督が、同チーム所属の伊藤美誠(23)がプレーオフを欠場した経緯を説明した。

「今大会には出るか出ないか迷っていた」と伊藤の様子に言及しつつ、3月27日開幕のWTTチャンピオンズ仁川(韓国)に万全の状態で臨めるように話し合ったことを明かした。「伊藤はボールの影響が大きい選手。(Tリーグでの)このボールと国際試合のボールは違う。慣れるまでに時間がかかることもあり、本人の選択を認めました」。現在8位の世界ランキングを1つでも上げたいとの伊藤の思いをくみ、今大会は欠場になったという。

【卓球】伊藤美誠 Tリーグ準決勝を欠場…村上総監督「WTTに向けて調整したいと」
https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/articles/-/296529
 村上総監督は試合後の会見で「伊藤は五輪の代表には外れたが、国際試合に出て世界ランクを上げようとしている。この試合に出るか出ないか迷っていたが、この後のWTTに向けて調整したいと」。「WTTチャンピオンズ仁川」(3月27日開幕、韓国)への調整を優先した。さらに「ボールの影響が大きくて、国際大会とTリーグではボールが違う。ボールに慣れるには時間がかかるので」との理由も挙げた。

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: KiwiPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Table Tennis Kingdom, 2024-May
(a ¥880 magazine that costs $30 in Vancouver)
Some excerpts from a 5 page interview (pg 124-129) with Hirano. (This is a ”gist of” translation).

Q: when did you feel the Trials would be difficult?
H: in the 2nd Trial (‘22-09), I lost to Hayata in the QF, and also in the positioning match, coming in 8th. But the next Trials (‘22-11) cumulative points will determine the five girls going to WTTC Team. I must be in the SF - Champion range to be selected. Otherwise the point gap will widen after WTTC, ending my selection process. I felt all these will be decided in the 3rd Trial. In the two months between ‘22-09 to the next Trial, I must improve my game and get good results. Through diligent training to reach the championships became an important turning point.
Q: what kind of training did you go through?
H: because the 2nd Trial’s position determines my placing in the matrix of the 3rd, and I was 8th, I knew I’ll run into Ito. Because of that, I practised a lot with Kihara, and worked out strategies playing against pips with her. At the Funabashi Trials, I was able to beat Ito, my first time since World Cup 2016.
But before that in R2, I ran into Yokoi trailing 1-3. In the 5th game, at 3-6, I took a TO. I looked at the ceiling, thinking “this may be the end of the Road to Paris for me”. I asked myself “is this how it ends? Just 5 more points and it ends for me?” I felt “no way! If I loose these 5 point, then it’s all over!”. Anyway, I ended up winning 11-9 in the decider. From that time on, I found my momentum.
Of course every tournament is important but that match with Yokoi was critical. The following matches vs Ito and Shibata in the QF was also very important.
Q: when did you feel there was a chance for Paris?
H: the ‘22-11 Trial was only a decider for WTTC Team. I got in, and I can feel Paris a “maybe…” During the ‘23-07 Trial at Tokyo, I lost to Ito in the SF and came 3rd. From that point on, myself, Hayata and Ito started to pull ahead and created a gap with the others. There was only one more Trial plus the All-Japan National, it was obvious the race was between me and Ito, so I have a 50% chance.
Q: along the way, Hayata pulled way ahead, it became a you and Ito race. You two were Doubles partners for a long time, of the same age and have a different relationship than others…
H: in my heart, every time Ito gets good results, I just don’t want to lose, not to her. That effort is what got me here. Of course I respect her, when I saw Ito at 15 getting a medal at Rio, I realized youth cannot be my excuse. It was from that time on that I really started to work at my game.
Since I was kid, I have never wanted to loose to Ito. To me her existence is unique.
Of course, of the same age in the same arena including Hayata, between the three of us the competitions are numerous, but I don’t have any particular sentiments. In the All-Japan, I felt instead of winning against so and so, I would rather say my objective was to get to the front rank, beat all Japanese facing me, and guarantee my getting into second place.
Q: only 5 months to Paris, in Busan you took out a CNT, did this increase your confidence?
H: Before this WTTC event, my thoughts were “get to 2nd place or no podium”. That was my only consideration. In Busan, when we were able to put them into such a tight spot and ended up losing, I felt unprecedented regret. In the past my attitude of (loosing to) CNT was always:”(China) is very strong”, or “it’s so difficult”. But this time, immediately after we lost, I felt remorse.
My instant reaction was, for the first time, “I want to beat China fort Gold in Paris.” I hope in Paris, whether in Team or Singles to win.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
WTT CS Incheon 2024
Hayata 2-3 SYS

Hayata says again SYS is 3 (levels) above her and that she has 0 possibilities of beating SYS. Hmm, this is not something hard work can make up.

早田ひな 世界1位の孫穎莎に14連敗 フルゲーム大善戦も2-3逆転負けで初勝利ならず準々決勝敗退
https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2024/03/30/0017488757.shtml
 孫穎莎は最強中国の中でも断トツで世界ランク1位を走っている絶対エースで、早田はこれまで未勝利。今年2月の世界選手権団体戦(釜山)決勝でも対戦したが、1ゲームも奪えず0-3と完敗。「本当のエース対決になったときに力不足をすごく感じた。孫穎莎選手が本当のエース」と脱帽し、「今は(勝つ)可能性がゼロ。私の3つ上くらい(のレベル)にいる孫選手にどう近づくか。ボールの軌道、(ボールの)捕らえ方、メンタルもケタが違う。今の中国は孫穎莎選手ほぼ1人で成り立っていて、そこを倒さないと中国自体が揺るがない。どう亀裂を入れていくかが大事」とターゲットとして照準を絞っていた。

Jan 2018
Ito admits the XD gold and at the same time the failure to get WS gold at Tokyo 2020 have become the source of pride, regret and pressure, how she couldn't shake off the aura and how she erected a wall to keep others out.

In the more detailed interview with 47news, Ito even admits she felt the best she could do was WS bronze. As for the selection race, Ito admits her style is not suited to that kind of selection as people get used to it the more she becomes exposed. But on the other hand, she is the type that wins by getting used to other players and if she doesn't keep playing overseas, then her game becomes stagnant. It is a style that fits Japanese players but it is boring, and that is why she has not been able to move up.

卓球女子・伊藤美誠、東京五輪金メダルで失った「笑顔」がパリ五輪落選で復活した理由「ボロボロでも…」
https://hochi.news/articles/20240326-OHT1T51247.html?page=1

伊藤美誠は泣きながら母に伝えた「卓球が嫌になった状態でやめたくない」 五輪選考レースが終わった今だから明かせる当時の思い、そして世界ランク1位へ新たな挑戦
https://www.47news.jp/10659656.html
https://nordot.app/1139775773269246338?c=39546741839462401
 国際競争力を重視して世界ランクで代表を決めた東京五輪と違い、パリ五輪は国内外の大会成績に応じたポイントで決める方式だった。重視されたのは、6度の選考会や2度の全日本選手権など国内の成績だった。「世界ランキングであれば絶対にいけるという確信はあったけど、何度も選考会をやるのは自分にとって不利だ」と感じた。

伊藤は海外勢では少ない「表ソフト」と呼ばれる粒々のラバーをバックハンドに貼って戦う前陣速攻型だ。ミスを恐れず台に近い位置から速球を打つことで回転が不規則なナックルボールが出やすい一方、何度も対戦すると慣れられてしまう。また、自身と同様に異質ラバーを使った相手との対戦では苦慮したという。

「異質ラバーの選手に対し、自分は試合を重ねることで相手のボールに慣れて勝っていきやすいタイプ。でも海外の試合を頻繁にやれるわけではなく、成長がほとんどできなかった。どちらかというと日本人に合わせた卓球になって、面白さが欠けてしまった。それが上に行けなかった理由でもあった」

「小学4年ぐらいから海外の試合にいっぱい出させてもらった。海外で成長したと思っている。すごくアグレッシブな卓球だからこそ、日本人もびっくりした。自分の卓球だからこそ海外に合う。海外の感覚や面白さを受けてプレーしていた。そういうのが必要だと感じた」

国内戦と世界ツアーを並行して戦う過密日程でコンディション調整に苦しんだ。選考レース中、体調不良や腰の痛みなどで満足にプレーできないことも多かった。

「海外にいても日本に合わせちゃう変な嫌な感じがあった。海外で成長したい気持ちがあったから海外も行くと選択したけど、海外と日本で毎回(使う)球も違うし、移動も相当疲れてタフな状態だった。それも刺激と思えば良かったけど、体が自然と悲鳴を上げた」

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
WTT CS Incheon 2024
Hayata 2-3 SYS

Hayata says again SYS is 3 (levels) above her and that she has 0 possibilities of beating SYS. Hmm, this is not something hard work can make up.

早田ひな 世界1位の孫穎莎に14連敗 フルゲーム大善戦も2-3逆転負けで初勝利ならず準々決勝敗退
https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2024/03/30/0017488757.shtml
I think she's just being humble, and she's getting really close. She had a couple 2-3 losses against CM too and eventually won at the WTTTC. Sun needs to be careful to avoid that happening at the Olympics. All that 13 wins will be for nothing then.

This user has no status.
I think she's just being humble, and she's getting really close. She had a couple 2-3 losses against CM too and eventually won at the WTTTC. Sun needs to be careful to avoid that happening at the Olympics. All that 13 wins will be for nothing then.
Ryu Seung Min had 0 wins against Wang Hao before the Olympics, and look at what he managed to do.