Learn the Reverse Pendulum Backspin serve. It has helped me a lot!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
Read 1 reviews
Greetings,

No, it's not just yours and in fact, it is one of the things I don't like about the serve. The main reason why I still use it occasionally is that the mere use of it still gives opponents trouble at my level and that my backspin is heavy enough to get me at least one point when I first use it as most people initially put it in the net because they don't respect the motion. And if I can get a point at 9-9 to 10-9, then the reverse topspin just ends the game.

What I really want to do is to be able to find a grip out of which I can comfortably serve both Pendulum and reverse. It's one of the reasons paradoxically why I prefer my backhand serves. It's for the same reason most people don't like the backhand - I can serve backhand reverse and backhand regular fairly competently.
In the second Waldner video I posted, at 1:06 he does a RBS against Chartres - the slow-motion replay shows it clearly. His action is very smooth - even with the handle above the wrist.

Needless to say, it's important to find a easy technique to do this serve lest you end up with RSI - as Baal appears to have done.:(

As regards backhand serves, I don't actually use the backhand side of the bat for my "backhand" serves.

If anyone remembers Jonyer's backhand serve, where he stands square-on to the middle of the table, he - and others - are only able to swing the bat through 90 degrees before the end of the handle fetches up against the wrist bone. My variant is to turn the bat over as I begin the swing so that I'm actually serving with the forehand rubber - this way, I'm able to swing the bat through 180 degrees, getting considerably more spin on the ball. Changing stance and position behind the table gives me even more options and spin effects.

Kindest regards,

James

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Actually I just stopped hitting that serve over a year ago and the pain is gone, but now I am not going to try it again. The best way to prevent a repetitive use injury is to stop the use that is causing the injury. Other shots and serves are not a problem for me (at least in the wrist), just the RPS serve. Of course there are all the other joints in my body that complain loudly, but that is another matter.

My hook serves are good. (Hey isn't that Per Gerell over there?).

Last edited: