Let's play a game: Name a player and list their best matches

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I think many here watch a lot of table tennis games and it would be great to see matches in this way that perhaps others would have missed. You can post any player, past or present. Repeating a player is allowed as well as I'm sure many will repeat the major ones.

I'll leave Ma Long and Zhang Jike to the others :)

1. Jan-Ove Waldner: I'm sure he would have played even better in older matches but they are hard to find in good quality. Apart from the match in 1997, it's just great to see Waldner's cleverness in the later matches.

2. Timo Boll:

3. Xu Xin
  • Take your pick of any Xu Xin vs Fan Zhendong clash. They're all great.
  • Grand Finals 2013 vs Ma Long Xu Xin plays like a god here. Most impressive performance by him that I have seen.
  • vs Timo Boll 2009 Qatar Open Boll had beaten ZJK in the previous match but Xu Xin had every answer to Boll's game here.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Wow. Great Idea.
This is way better than argueing. :cool:

Well, one of my all time favourites is the Pro Tour Grand Final 2013 between Ma Long and Xu Xin. I can watch this match over and over. (But i could only find the short version. If someone got the link to the full match feel free to correct me)

Ma Long's Block at 1:58
Xu Xin fine touch sidespin at 4:08
Ma Long's Block at 6:40

One of the classic matches i love to watch is between Jan Ove Waldner and Mikael Appelgren from 1982.
Those two weren't that much older than me, but they were lightyears away from my playing level. (I just started playing a couple of months earlier).
They were so good and i could hardly hold a racket properly... :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
Wow. Great Idea.

Well, one of my all time favourites is the Pro Tour Grand Final 2013 between Ma Long and Xu Xin. I can watch this match over and over. (But i could only find the short version. If someone got the link to the full match feel free to correct me)

One of the classic matches i love to watch is between Jan Ove Waldner and Mikael Appelgren from 1982.
Those two weren't that much older than me, but they were lightyears away from my playing level. (I just started playing a couple of months earlier).
They were so good and i could hardly hold a racket properly... :)

wow the difference in speed and spin is so big.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Wow. Great Idea.

Haha, I meant to post the exact same match for Xu Xin but accidentally posted another one. Here is the full match

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
My favourite match ever
Austrian Open 2011: Ma Long vs Zhang Jike

Both players played amazing!

Everything was great about that match. From the sleepy Zhang Jike who woke up after the first set to the nerve-wracking 7th set between both of them. It also makes me miss the half-distance play with the older ball. The commentator with the thick austrian accent was also great. Even better if you understand German. JAAANG JEEKE!

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D