Over the last 10 years the famous German table tennis star Timo Boll has really put table tennis on the map in terms of competing with the powerful Chinese.

The Chinese magazine ‘Ping Pong World’ published a recent interview with the Chinese head coach Liu Guoliang. Liu expressed that he was feared by Timo Boll and Liu compared him with the legendary Jan Ove Waldner of modern times. Liu did say that if Boll was to reach Waldner’s heights he needs to be a bit more viciousness in his game. Liu also described his experiences with Boll of the table and said how he is a very nice, well behaved man.

Liu Guoliang quoted that, ‘Timo Boll has earned our respect’.

timo_boll_22_12_08_large.jpg

Photo by Zhao Weizhen

Liu Guoliang’s interview below with the Ping Pong World magazine.

The last two world championships Timo Boll hasn’t competed against a Chinese player. In 2007 Boll had lost to Ryu Seung Min and in Yokohama Boll had suffered an injury that forced him to withdraw from the competition. However, in Rotterdam Boll has a lot of confidence and was ready in fighting form. Before the semi final commenced, I said to Zhang Jike that this semi final will have a lot more attention than the final if you reach it. As Boll beat Zhang Jikes team make in the previous round ‘Chen Qi’ this posted a serious threat on the Chinese team and this is why we had to focus.

I believe Timo Boll has learnt so much in the last 4 yearsand he is now a lot, lot stronger then back in 2008. Back then Boll posted 9 losses against our Chinese players, but since the glue ban Boll has adapted and played better and his defeat to our Chinese team has been halfed.

Boll is for sure our biggest thread against the world in TT but he is lacking that kind of confidence and viciousness that Jan Ove Waldner had. This is why Boll has never succeeded and we have been pressing into to him over the last few years. Boll lacks the certain confidence.

However saying all that, that was before! Boll is now very much more matured. I have found over the years that foreign players tend to mature later in sport as they learn the sport later then us. Also their inherent physical fitness is better compared to ours and their time playing is also longer than us. Although saying this, Europeans don’t use this to their advantage. It can be said that the equivalent of a 30 year old European is a 25 year old Chinese player. That is why it is only now that Timo Boll started challenging the Chinese team.

I find Timo Boll is a very well behaved person. He also has a great ability to learn new things and tries to blend in with us which is important and great. Last year after the shakehand vs penhold tournament, Timo joined in with us at dinner and was offered western food. However Boll chose to eat hot pot with us. Timo Boll is accepting to learn the Chinese culture.

Timo Boll has definitely raised the pressure against us and that’s why he is a worthy opponent and that’s why I have the up most respect for him. Because of this, I will not let our team slip in the slightest! Our profile of the legendary Timo Boll

For the main article click here. Liu Guoliang for Timo Boll