Since the recent World Table Tennis Championships in Rotterdam there has been a lot of controversy regarding the Chinese Team and its domination to table tennis. Two major concerns are the development to the sport and the new insight to remove table tennis from the Olympic games.

sharara3_26_04_11_Large.jpg

Photo source: ITTF Asia / Pacific Office

Since the recent victory of the Chinese National Team it meant that China for the eighth time won all the gold and silver wear. The continuous domination has set off an issue, that the Olympic Committee may remove table tennis from the Olympic games.

In the photo above, ITTF President Adham Sharara said the claim is impossible!. The Americans have dominated the basketball for years, and the Olympic selectors haven't removed the sport.

Sharara quoted, “It is only the votes of all the members of the Olympic Committee that can decide on what sport to include or remove in the list. Currently, we have 215 associations which also means that there are 215 countries and (or) regions under us. And those countries / regions generally are also members of the Olympic Committee. They would not vote against the sport just because of the reality that China monopolizes the medals.”

Adding to this, Sharara wants to increase the number of associations that can enter the Olympics. The fact that only 2 participants from each association means this will eventually reduce the number from some associations.

Sharara went on to say, “A very serious problem is that there are some associations who want to give up their participation in world-class competitions because they have no chance to win the Chinese medals. So with the reform, they will only need to beat two Chinese players in order to win the Olympic championship. In that way, the enthusiasm will be back.”

Thus, this sent of the Chinese coaches as only 2 can now go. The women's head coach Shi Zhihao had this to say to Sarara, "I really don't understand table tennis any more".

Liu Guoliang the Chinese mens team head coach explained how he thought the timing was very bad and its a catastrophe.

Its said Timo Boll doesn't agree with this set up from the ITTF. Timo thinks it will only deprived a group advantage for the Chinese Team. This will only help non Chinese players and give them a higher probability of winning.

So TableTennisDaily members, who side are you on here? How should the Olympics work? Will this favour and possibly make Timo Boll crown 2012 Olympic Champion?

Check the original source: 2012 Olympics: Sharara versus Chinese Guoping

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I love watching the Olympics and rarely even get to see table tennis broadcasted on the air here in the states but I would definitely not be happy if table tennis was removed as a sport! As far as the rules go I'm not so concerned because I don't really know how it would affect things...I hope whoever is in charge will make the right decisions!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I really dont care whether China dominates or some other country.. its a human individual talent.. Its a sport and anybody who gives 200% to it will dominate it naturally.. Its just a fact tht China harbors those talents in millions! Other countries dont.. So nothing wrong if China puts so much effort and dominates it.. They deserve it.. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
It seems that lotsa people dont like China's domination over TT eh ?
2 players from each country means another easier setup and bigger opportunity for non-chinese player.
Its kind unfair for China though.
In the other hand Im happy to see the maximum of 2 chinese flags on the flag raise, maybe this is the reason that makes the raise of enthusiasm :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It's not only China who suffers. People like Ryu Seung Min, Patrick Baum, Christian Süss, Seiya Kishikawa and more are also affected by this rule. It is simply a devaluation of what should be the biggest prize in the sport. Shame on the Olympic Commitee.