W968 any version?

This user has no status.
Hi all again,

Now i have a budget to order the blade i was dream about, but can't afford the most expensive version of it, the version i found is the cheapest i can afford, it is DHS Hurricane Long 5 National which is coded as "W968".

If i buy any version i find online that is almost half to 1/4 price of the other version that is called by a players names and $$$$$, will it be that good enough? I mean i am not asking for 200% quality performance, but will it be for example better than Long 5 and 5X commercial ones? Will it be better than Long 5 W968 Provincial one i found less than $300? i found the numbers version at around $460-500, is this legit and original copy or a fake copy of the very expensive ones?

I am waiting your answer to see if i can decide quickly before the budget will be gone elsewhere of products.

This user has no status.
And once i decide about it, then which rubbers to use with it? I keep lying to myself that only H3 NEO National BS is the best FH rubber for any Long 5 blade as it is designed for it, but i can be open mind to use another rubbers that can be better performance with it, i don't lack power or speed, but sometimes i prefer a controllable fast rubber than just a rocket machine rubber for ultimate power that i can't keep releasing it whole games, i have this rubber on my long 5X and i am ok with it, but it is not as effective of my playstyle as T05 or Hammond Z2 or Fastarc G-1 or thin version of MX-P, only when i boosted it by a coach and played it first time i felt it was right, but after that it is normal, and i also tried unboosted one, i felt like i will be dead before i can turn it into a dragon ball weapon.

For backhand, i prefer softer as i always mention before, but i can't tell if the soft version can be a great idea on this blade or it will be a disaster and time for me to move to a medium one instead, i tried H3 NEO commercial 37 deg on Long 5X and it is like great for 2-3 backhand winners and 10 times lost points, while with Vega Europe on another blades it was like 10 winners and 3-4 lost points, bottom like is that i prefer to give the speed/power to slower soft rubbers than trying to give CONTROL to fast/speed rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I've been used it for about a year now, my suggestion is to just get the provincial one. I have both, and I can't tell the difference between the national and the provincial one when I strike the ball well. The main difference is that the provincial one has a smaller head and a thicker handle. The smaller head makes it less head heavy, which some people prefer but isn't a big deal for me, but the thicker handle feels waaaaay more solid in my hand. The difference was huge, as I can get good contact with the ball much more consistently with the provincial version without the blade wiggling around in my hand.

You can fix the issue by adding grip tape to the national version, but that's a compromise that some may not be willing to make. Just for reference, I'm 5'8 with relatively small hands. I'm using the grip tape fix now as I invested quite a bit of money into my national one, but even then I considering just get a new provincial one (mine is 2nd hand with some splinters, got it for cheap). I already have like 6 HL5 variants though, so I really don't want to add another one lol.

As for your other questions, the W968 is definitely better than the regular Long 5. It feels a lot more solid especially on really powerful loops. The regular Long 5 is flexy but feels like it bottoms out a bit, like you start losing good rebound after a certain point.

I don't like boosting either, and I've found the D09C to be a very good replacement for boosted H3. I didn't like soft rubbers for my BH. The W968 is hard to activate, it feels very mushy at lower power. Combined with soft rubbers it felt extra mushy (I tried T05FX, T05, T64FX, D09C, D05, Nittaku H3, H3, H8-80), but when you finally hit hard enough to activate the blade the rubber starts bottoming out. I liked the harder rubbers the best out of that group, except unboosted H3 which feels very muted and dead.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
I've been used it for about a year now, my suggestion is to just get the provincial one. I have both, and I can't tell the difference between the national and the provincial one when I strike the ball well. The main difference is that the provincial one has a smaller head and a thicker handle. The smaller head makes it less head heavy, which some people prefer but isn't a big deal for me, but the thicker handle feels waaaaay more solid in my hand. The difference was huge, as I can get good contact with the ball much more consistently with the provincial version without the blade wiggling around in my hand.

You can fix the issue by adding grip tape to the national version, but that's a compromise that some may not be willing to make. Just for reference, I'm 5'8 with relatively small hands. I'm using the grip tape fix now as I invested quite a bit of money into my national one, but even then I considering just get a new provincial one (mine is 2nd hand with some splinters, got it for cheap). I already have like 6 HL5 variants though, so I really don't want to add another one lol.

As for your other questions, the W968 is definitely better than the regular Long 5. It feels a lot more solid especially on really powerful loops. The regular Long 5 is flexy but feels like it bottoms out a bit, like you start losing good rebound after a certain point.

I don't like boosting either, and I've found the D09C to be a very good replacement for boosted H3. I didn't like soft rubbers for my BH. The W968 is hard to activate, it feels very mushy at lower power. Combined with soft rubbers it felt extra mushy (I tried T05FX, T05, T64FX, D09C, D05, Nittaku H3, H3, H8-80), but when you finally hit hard enough to activate the blade the rubber starts bottoming out. I liked the harder rubbers the best out of that group, except unboosted H3 which feels very muted and dead.
WOW, that is exactly what i needed, because i am opposite of you, i like bigger head and thinner handle, i use grip tape on my L5X handle and it is perfect, i need the grip tape for all mt blade in all cases because my hand getting sweaty a lot so it is slippery then.

Well, i am ok with T05/T05FX in the past long time ago, i tested D09c and D05 of others blades ands find them not bad, preferred more 05 of the two, but it could be kind of blades they use, can be both good at certain blades or both bad on another blades too, so i can't judge only from very few times tests, but Tenergy 05/05FX both tested perfectly on so many blades before i gave up Tenergy due to prices, and i remember i tried Tenergy 80 on my first Long 5X on both sides, and it was bad for both sides really.

This user has no status.
How long do you play table tennis, and how many supervised training hours do you do per week?
How long as just fun and hobby maybe long enough but can't consider it as top level or reliable years of playing, but i don't care as it won't stop me buying or trying or playing.

I didn't have supervised training hours per day or week or month, i only took like 5-6 hours total with few different coaches, and few hours free with one high level player who is a coach too, but i can't tell you that i am a high level player, but i want to know why you asking or what is your point here?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
How long as just fun and hobby maybe long enough but can't consider it as top level or reliable years of playing, but i don't care as it won't stop me buying or trying or playing.

I didn't have supervised training hours per day or week or month, i only took like 5-6 hours total with few different coaches, and few hours free with one high level player who is a coach too, but i can't tell you that i am a high level player, but i want to know why you asking or what is your point here?
I think he's asking your level because your first post asks if the cheaper versions are "good enough."

Whether a blade is good enough for its cost depends quite a lot on what the player is capable of.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
WOW, that is exactly what i needed, because i am opposite of you, i like bigger head and thinner handle, i use grip tape on my L5X handle and it is perfect, i need the grip tape for all mt blade in all cases because my hand getting sweaty a lot so it is slippery then.

Well, i am ok with T05/T05FX in the past long time ago, i tested D09c and D05 of others blades ands find them not bad, preferred more 05 of the two, but it could be kind of blades they use, can be both good at certain blades or both bad on another blades too, so i can't judge only from very few times tests, but Tenergy 05/05FX both tested perfectly on so many blades before i gave up Tenergy due to prices, and i remember i tried Tenergy 80 on my first Long 5X on both sides, and it was bad for both sides really.
I think the HL5x has the same handle, so if you like it with grip tape then the national one should work well for you.

I used to play with the TB ALC with T05, I liked it quite a bit, think they pair really well and I initially bought T05 both sides for the HL5. I really didn't like it for the HL5 though, and when I got my W968 I gave it a try as well and still didn't like them. I didn't particularly like the D05 for the W968 or HL5, I feel like it doesn't really accentuate its main quality which is the flex without feeling flimsy unlike a lot of flexy blades which are slow. The D09c I felt paired the best with it because it also likes to hold the ball, and like the HL5 it also has a soft touch with soft touch, but really holds the ball and shoots it out like a rocket when you hit hard and never bottoms out. In other words, I felt like the D09c is like the rubber version of the W968.

I tried H3 40 degrees boosted with 2 layers of Seamoon and it feels very similar, but with a slightly lower throw and even more spin. I don't like the hassle of boosting though, and I don't like how the new H3 isn't tacky anymore, so I just stuck to D09c.

Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
I think he's asking your level because your first post asks if the cheaper versions are "good enough."

Whether a blade is good enough for its cost depends quite a lot on what the player is capable of.
I ask because i am not if others did buy that and found out that it is not close or that good of original one of W968 so maybe it is just a fake one, but i try to trust the sellers and trust people opinions and experiences here, i bought all my DHS blades from different sites and all are great quality, but sometimes the price big difference making it suspicious, that is all, nothing else.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
mmexport1709289020802.jpg

Wait for these 2 . A newer version of the #968.

This user has no status.
I think the HL5x has the same handle, so if you like it with grip tape then the national one should work well for you.

I used to play with the TB ALC with T05, I liked it quite a bit, think they pair really well and I initially bought T05 both sides for the HL5. I really didn't like it for the HL5 though, and when I got my W968 I gave it a try as well and still didn't like them. I didn't particularly like the D05 for the W968 or HL5, I feel like it doesn't really accentuate its main quality which is the flex without feeling flimsy unlike a lot of flexy blades which are slow. The D09c I felt paired the best with it because it also likes to hold the ball, and like the HL5 it also has a soft touch with soft touch, but really holds the ball and shoots it out like a rocket when you hit hard and never bottoms out. In other words, I felt like the D09c is like the rubber version of the W968.

I tried H3 40 degrees boosted with 2 layers of Seamoon and it feels very similar, but with a slightly lower throw and even more spin. I don't like the hassle of boosting though, and I don't like how the new H3 isn't tacky anymore, so I just stuck to D09c.
The handle of Long 5X is slightly thicker than Long 5 non X, but it wasn't a bother for me, i have DHS Hao III which is thinner handle and that was the main reason i went with DHS line then, i even bought that clone/replica of Long 5 from Stuor and i like their handles too either ST or FL, so i am ready for W968 anyway, i started to prefer more of ST nowadays so that i am keeping two some ST blades just in case including two Long 5X ST because W968 is only FL i found.

The point with Butterfly rubbers mainly T and D is that they are expensive, they didn't last with me long enough, maybe due to the weather or i didn't take care of them well enough, but i also felt like it is just a marketing, even Nittaku rubbers are expensive because they are made of Japan while you can find better rubbers at lower prices, so i try to keep myself away as long i can from Butterfly rubbers, but i really felt like maybe it is time to return back to BTY rubber finally, and only i was thinking about T05FX for my BH as it was my favorite rubber in the past paired with Butterfly Jun Mizutani ALC and DHS Hao III and something else i forgot [maybe Zhang Jike blue dragon that i sold].

For now my choices for this W968 as rubbers are one of the following:
1. FH: H3 NEO National BS 40deg, Tenergy 05, Dignics 05, Hammond Z2.
2. BH: T05FX, Vega Europe, Rakza 7 Soft, Dignics 09C maybe.

This user has no status.
W968 is origin from Long 5. Just special modified for players. If you have good enough technic, go for the # version. Otherwise go for a 250 province version.
I think what i am trying to say or ask is that if i buy that W968 which cost about $480 is that the same performance of the other W968 which cost about $900 or another number version of W968 that cost about $1800? So i that $480 same as the one of $800 or $3000 ones? I can't afford $800-10k ones, but i can afford the National one that is about $480 [i can get it for about $460], what will you say???

says Looking for the BH killer shot
says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews

Well not only determines the skills you have, how much of the setup you will be able to use, but also determines how easy it will be for you to notice subtle differences. And nothing can replace experience, but more experience :)

I also like to mention the psychological effects and motivation. If your motivation is "I want to have the best equipment I can effort, regardless of my capabilities, because it makes me feel invincible" than go with the national version of the W968 from a respected seller like prott.vip or any other seller, that you are aware sell genuine DHS blades. The blades will not loose much of its value, when you treat it well and you keep all documents and proof of being genuine.

If your motivation is to improve your game and you don't have much opportunity to have supervised/coached sessions, than it really does make much difference if you take a newer HL5, W968 provincial or national. The setup your are using has a very small window, where the blade performance well. Being able to leverage that small window, takes alot in footwork, stroke precision and experience in reading incoming spin.
Outside that small window, the blade will perform like any other blade for a fraction of the price.

So seriously ask yourself, given that money is a limited resource (at least this is what I read from your first post). Do I really enjoy it that much, playing with a national player equipment, that I'm willing to spent it.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not judging. I'm also playing equipment that is two levels above my capabilities, because I enjoy it and sometime also intrigued to get the really rare and expensive stuff, because I imagine the feeling of having such powerful setup, that only national team players in China have.

But at the end of the day, I tell myself, spending 500$ on a table tennis blade compared to other things I can buy for this money, I will not enjoy it for very long.

This user has no status.
As for none pro, that perform 95% similar. So just go for the cheap one, if you buying the # version ,get the #15-25, those are better quality and better price.
Yes, i will get the # version, i found two sellers, one defined exact numbers versions he has and the other nothing but only W968 randomly numbers with very slight less price then other seller, so i don't know if i should go with that random number to be send for very slight less price or the fixed known number to choose from [#23 & #28].

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Yes, i will get the # version, i found two sellers, one defined exact numbers versions he has and the other nothing but only W968 randomly numbers with very slight less price then other seller, so i don't know if i should go with that random number to be send for very slight less price or the fixed known number to choose from [#23 & #28].
23/28 it's just fine, less than 500 it's OK price, ask the seller show you photos, the surface darker is better.

This user has no status.
Well not only determines the skills you have, how much of the setup you will be able to use, but also determines how easy it will be for you to notice subtle differences. And nothing can replace experience, but more experience :)

I also like to mention the psychological effects and motivation. If your motivation is "I want to have the best equipment I can effort, regardless of my capabilities, because it makes me feel invincible" than go with the national version of the W968 from a respected seller like prott.vip or any other seller, that you are aware sell genuine DHS blades. The blades will not loose much of its value, when you treat it well and you keep all documents and proof of being genuine.

If your motivation is to improve your game and you don't have much opportunity to have supervised/coached sessions, than it really does make much difference if you take a newer HL5, W968 provincial or national. The setup your are using has a very small window, where the blade performance well. Being able to leverage that small window, takes alot in footwork, stroke precision and experience in reading incoming spin.
Outside that small window, the blade will perform like any other blade for a fraction of the price.

So seriously ask yourself, given that money is a limited resource (at least this is what I read from your first post). Do I really enjoy it that much, playing with a national player equipment, that I'm willing to spent it.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not judging. I'm also playing equipment that is two levels above my capabilities, because I enjoy it and sometime also intrigued to get the really rare and expensive stuff, because I imagine the feeling of having such powerful setup, that only national team players in China have.

But at the end of the day, I tell myself, spending 500$ on a table tennis blade compared to other things I can buy for this money, I will not enjoy it for very long.
It will be my last spending for blades, not as replacement but as addition, i mean i won't add anything new after W968, but i can sell anything i have already and replace with something else, and also sell something without replacement to make my collection less or shorter by the time.

In fact i am as you mentioned about i just want to have that blade for fun and keep trying it, i wasn't looking for making myself better or improve a lot, in fact i play better with defensive blades or style nowadays more than offensive, but sometimes i play only purely for fun and i used Long 5X for example sometimes and i win nicely, another time i lose badly with any racket no matter what, so for me it was more like play whatever just enjoy it, and going for W968 isn't going to change that attitude, and because it will be the last one i will buy then it is like worth it that much i spend.

My game improved a lot in the past when i moved from different brands including Butterfly to DHS Hao III and i never looked back, and by the time i bought my first ever Long 5X i was having only 2 hours training with a coach who knows about my collecting and he just approved that i go buy Long 5X and i didn't regret, he can easily tell me it is too much and overkill and not of my level, but he didn't stop me, and i play ok with it just maybe the rubbers needs to be replaced or i have to increase up my level to match it, and if that blade worked nicely with me most of the time i can imagine that W968 will make a noticeable difference, and maybe it will push me also to try harder to be better to justify it, it is like if you have a Ferrari then you try to be Schumacher even never can or a racket in Tennis to mimic Federer, rather than i try to mimic Schumacher with Corvette or Porsche for example.

This user has no status.
23/28 it's just fine, less than 500 it's OK price, ask the seller show you photos, the surface darker is better.
No photos from the seller except the box only, one of buyers showed his one, shows clearly the W968 version and #23 on the side of the handle, didn't show more of the blade itself, so i don't know if that is enough confirmation, in all cases i am very willing to buy it and pretend it is original similar quality to the most expensive ones without me knowing, and definitely from all of your comments here i will see noticeable difference to my Long 5X which is nice, so i will decide between two sellers as i might get good number from the other one too even didn't mention, but i can always message them first and then they can send me few details or photos maybe.