Long pips vs spaghetti-string tennis racket.

says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
t2000pasta1.jpg

Google for more info. But in summary:

The spaghetti-string tennis racket is known for its unpredictable spin and bounce, which is due to its double string bed.

ITF banned this rackets in 1978 because it allowed players with lower standing to beat top players!

LOL. Doesn't it like the long pips in table tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
View attachment 29094

The spaghetti-string tennis racket is known for its unpredictable spin and bounce, which is due to its double string bed.

ITF banned this rackets in 1978 because it allowed players with lower standing to beat top players!

I'm surprised they haven't made a better LP yet.

1) a LP where you can just block incoming topspin shots with the same block as inverted
2) LP that has more catapult
3) LP that gives more unpredictable spin effect. Like why not make some pips harder or longer or just something crazy

I think I would be a really good LP player. But its too early for me to change yet

Reactions: Kopp
Nov 2022

1) a LP where you can just block incoming topspin shots with the same block as inverted
3) LP that gives more unpredictable spin effect. Like why not make some pips harder or longer or just something crazy

I think I would be a really good LP player. But its too early for me to change yet
If it exist, ITTF will ban for good 😂

But then, they will have to ban all LPs as well to be fair.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews

Imagine butterfly long pips with high tension, also aspect ratio rule ruined possibility #3.
Putting booster on rock hard long pips sponges, weird af.

Reactions: blahness and Kopp
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
View attachment 29094

I've said it a million times but people are stupid and don't seem to understand. Lp is a rubber that requires time and practice to make effective like any other rubber, inverted or not. If you have problem playing against them then go practice and become better.

Same thing has been happening in gaming for decades, controller nerds have been saying that we have an unfair advantage by using keyboard and mouse. It's our input method, deal with it. And they did, they shut up, practiced and now a bunch of pros have made controller viable.

If you find something unfair or whatever, it's because you're a bad player. Good players shut up and then practice like their life depends on it. Do that and you'll come out the other side a better player.

I'm tired of hearing that pips have an advantage, they don't. If they did then top 100 would be filled with them. What they have is a bunch of disadvantages, and the inherent lack of own spin generation is one of them.

May 2020
Read 1 reviews

There are a bunch of long pips that are on the limits of what the ittf allows, from length, thickness and spreading. The new ball just destroyed defenders, now only lp blockers are really viable.

Reactions: Kopp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
So the governing organization of a sport banned strange equipment because it gives an unfair advantage to unathletic players??? Hmmm wonder why they did that? Maybe because it takes away from the game and gives players who are not athletic to be competitive. No different than LP.......

Sure it may take some time to adjust strokes and timing but it doesn't require the same athletism, skill, stamina, power, speed etc that normal equipment requires to play at top levels.

Reactions: Kopp and blahness
This user has no status.
Spaghetti strings are actually more akin to inverted rubber. They generate more spin through extra string movement.
Yes interestingly, this appears to be somewhat like the tangential elasticity concept of modern inverted rubbers to really increase the spin. If tennis had this I would be really interested to try it out!

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Reactions: blahness
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
1999 was when ITTF got rid resolutely of the toxic rubbers once and for all. The notorious "long grass" rubbers were gone first. Yes, we aware of the argumentation ITTF had made for such a decision. It was as follows
-- ITTF doеsn't want the sport to take character of a game of chance.

The frictionless anti rubbers should be next to go out of the sport, we believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: blahness
Jan 2018
It's sad that Super Spinpips became collateral damage. One could argue it was more inverted than inverted rubbers. So much fun to play with.

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
IYO, is this one of the reasons why ITTF changed the ball from 38 to 40+ or just coincidence?
It was pure coincidence. They wanted to make the ball bigger and heavier to make it slower so the cameras can catch it easier and make the sport more compatible with the TV. But it backfired and instead of rallies now we have serve/recieve and 2/3 balls, with the rallies being rarer than ever. Pros will find the way to win, not play for the TV, the Germans may be smart, but sometimes they overlook the obvious.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Today's game in tennis uses similar tech, just evolved differently and over time.
I owned two of them back in the day. It was speed glued inverted, not long pips. You could impart more spin that was possible with normal strings. People couldn't come to net, topspin lobs would go right over you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'm tired of hearing that pips have an advantage, they don't. If they did then top 100 would be filled with them. What they have is a bunch of disadvantages, and the inherent lack of own spin generation is one of them.
Best thing/sense I read on TTD for a while.

LP is very difficult to master (TB thinks its easy, going to be a long wait until he starts to use them)
The disadvantage of LP outweighs the advantage. Same for me as CP vs Shakehand

The biggest advantage for LP is opponent unfamiliarity.
The moment that advantage is gone, the threat level decreases many folds.

If LP or Anti is so "GREAT", then where are these champion players?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
View attachment 29094

I think spaghetti strings are like microwaved or other illegally treated pips.

Legal long pips aren't unpredictable, you only need to understand the spin reversal and adjust to it.

Reactions: matzreenzi and Kopp
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Best thing/sense I read on TTD for a while.

LP is very difficult to master (TB thinks its easy, going to be a long wait until he starts to use them)
The disadvantage of LP outweighs the advantage. Same for me as CP vs Shakehand

The biggest advantage for LP is opponent unfamiliarity.
The moment that advantage is gone, the threat level decreases many folds.

If LP or Anti is so "GREAT", then where are these champion players?
Exactly. Over the years I've had teammates with lomg pips, some of them blocked, others were defenders. I've trained with them and never had to even sweat to beat anyone with their styles in the league. If you know what to do against them, there is no threat.

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
IYO, is this one of the reasons why ITTF changed the ball from 38 to 40+ or just coincidence?
Not really, defenders did not win any major tournaments decades before the ban, it was a non issue for ittf.

The reason the 38mm ball was banned was that ittf wanted to reduce the dominance of serve and reduce third ball kills and thus create longer rallies.

That is why they created a bigger ball and banned speed glue, they thought it was too short rallies and too many 2-3 shot rallies.

Only worked partially because rubber technology got better and players got more athletic and strong.