Ma long defeated by Koki Niwa!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
It was only their first encounter. Table tennis is about consistency and adjustment. Let us wait for their next encounter.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Someone said Ma Long changed his backhand rubber to DHS Gold Arc from Tenergy 05. His backhand was really lacking. Don't want to make excuses. Niwa capitalized on a weakness and tactically he was brilliant. But, perhaps Gold Arc did not help Ma Long. His backhand has been much better than that in the past months. If he is using Gold Arc, he might not be fully used to it. That sort of seems strange to me that he would not be used to it with all the training that the Chinese team does but....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Someone said Ma Long changed his backhand rubber to DHS Gold Arc from Tenergy 05. His backhand was really lacking. Don't want to make excuses. Niwa capitalized on a weakness and tactically he was brilliant. But, perhaps Gold Arc did not help Ma Long. His backhand has been much better than that in the past months. If he is using Gold Arc, he might not be fully used to it. That sort of seems strange to me that he would not be used to it with all the training that the Chinese team does but....

I guess they should rename it to Bronze Arc then ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews

That is just a rumour. I have posted a picture of what he used at WTTTC here http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1129-Chinese-Team-Bat-pictures!/page8. He still uses Tenergy but it's 64. And for the Gold Arc and Gold Arc 3, they are coming in May or June.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is possible that he switched to Gold Arc 3 after the World Team event. He played amazing at World Team. Did not drop a game. I don't know anything. But, it is possible that he switched after the World Team event and is still not fully used to it, or it is not quite the right rubber for his backhand. And he dropped games in several matches in the Olympic trials, so he was not ripping through people the same way last weekend. And, in my opinion, the World Team was a bigger pressure situation because:

1) he knew that he had several chances to qualify.

And

2) He knew that no matter what he did, the ITTF rules determined that he was not going to be playing in the singles event in the Olympic Games.

We also know that Ma Long is using a DHS blade and might have reasons to use DHS rubber on forehand and backhand so that he uses DHS equipment exclusively. Could be contractual and/or national pride.

But there is no doubt that he got nervous and fell apart when he could not handle Koki.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
He wants to achieve god level. UNTOUCHABLE. The tenergy 64 is faster than the 05. He might be trying to develop killer shots on both wings. Their coaches must know why they do so. He already has an awesome backhand. You might see it when it is the first shot with his backhand or when he is away from the table. In a close rally they do not overpower it with the backhand for cosistency purposes(IMO). Now if he is going to DHS for his backhand then it must be just like mr. carl said ... contractual or national pride OR they might have developed a tenergy clone.
But there is no doubt that whenever you change equipment you need some time to fully adapt and play its full potential.

This user has no status.
Reporter: Ma Long lost in the recently concluded Asian Olympic Qualifier. Has this affected his condition?

Liu Guoliang: Losing doesn't really matter. What is important is the adjustments. Losing before a big competition is not necessarily a bad thing as it helps in the process of improvements.

This is what Liu Guoliang answer the to loss of Ma Long to see full article http://tabletennista.com/2012/4/zhang-jike-wang-hao-ma-long-will-be-in-the/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fb-link&utm_term=zhang-jike-wang-hao-ma-long-liu-guoliang-chinese-men-team-2012-london-olympcis-table-tennis&utm_content=fb-page&utm_campaign=fb-links

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Good find yurybarquero. It is interesting that Liu Gouliang will not say who will play singles and who will play only team, even though, it seems like that has been determined by the qualification process. We will see if he is able to change things or he goes with what it sounds like he has to go with.