says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
After a lot of speculation whether Ma Long will play in the Singles of the London 2012 Olympics is finally here.

longhistory.jpg

Photo by: Kiyoshi Ota / Getty Images

It's official, Zhang Jike and Wang Hao will represent China in the singles event at the London 2012 Olympics. Ma Long will join them both in the team event.

Full article here

Reactions: meskinshirazi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Interesting that they kept Zhang Jike and Wang Hao from last year , but in the women team they switched Gue Yan with Ding Ning . They said that Gue Yan was injured , but she still dominated in the WTTTC .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
It's hard to believe that your team has the #1 player in the world and you're benching him for singles(!) After all, he didn't get to #1 by losing. I think he should have replaced Wang Hao, big wins or no.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Nice points covered, I believe the decision in making Ma Long play team event boosts Timo Boll's chances dramatically in the singles!

Timo Boll vs Zhang Jike or Wang Hao are 50/50 I think..

says Hello feels free to add me.It's a great honor to have...
says Hello feels free to add me.It's a great honor to have...
Apr 2011
For my point of views, i think Liu Guoliang did not put Ma Long in single events because he looks Ma long performances in World Cup and World Championship.Event though Ma Long performances very outstanding in both events but it stills cannot capture Liu's eye.For me,Liu's has a little bit of concern on Zhang Jike even though Ma Long also good as him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
How about the fact that if they had replaced Wang Hao or Zhang Jike by saying they're sick or injured they couldn't have played in teams either? There was conversation about this in another thread but it seems to be completely ignored here.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
its imposible

Its imposible that Ma Long wont play in the singles event because he is now the best player of the world and he is in his best performance.

Its not the same win the team avent than win the singles event. Its ridiculous that ma long wont play in the singles event.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
How about the fact that if they had replaced Wang Hao or Zhang Jike by saying they're sick or injured they couldn't have played in teams either? There was conversation about this in another thread but it seems to be completely ignored here.

I absolutely agree with this. It's been mentioned clearly, but people's affection to Ma Long seems to be stronger than their ability to recall this information :p There is no reason to kick Wang Hao or Zhang Jike from the Olympic team, since they have met all the requirements in the past years. Ma Long hasn't, and there are only two spots, so he is out of the Singles. That's the situation, and given the situation, I think this is a fair choice. What isn't fair is that there are only two spots per country, but China has no influence on that. So their choice is justified. But the ITTF (under the pressure of table tennis being kicked from the Olympics) made this restriction. It is sad, but I don't think you can blame anyone in the table tennis world for this.

Well, maybe Ma Long. He could've just won the WTTC and avoid the fuss...

This user has no status.
It's hard to believe that your team has the #1 player in the world and you're benching him for singles(!) After all, he didn't get to #1 by losing. I think he should have replaced Wang Hao, big wins or no.
on the other had wang hao has a lot more experience as he played in two Olympics and ans even has 2 silvers in the singles.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
i think its time for Ma Long leave china.. It is shame. World No. 1 will not play? They are kiding? :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

This post is accurate. Most of you are missing the fact that,

Wang Hao and Zhang Jike qualified for the singles event.

Ma Long did not.

If Liu Gouliang replaced Zhang Jike or Wang Hao with Ma Long, then China would not be able to play in the team event. Ma Long has known for a long time that he would not play in the singles event.

The shame here is that, China is so dominant that, if they sent more than 2 players they would probably win all available medals which the Olympic committee does not want. This is why they threatened to take Table Tennis out of the Olympics. The ITTF did what they thought was the best thing for the sport by changing how people qualify and how many people can qualify for the singles and the team event.

The real issue, the big problem with the qualification process is that, Wang Hao and Zhang Jike qualified for the singles event in the Olympics based on their rankings in May of 2011. If they used the rankings of say, March or April of 2012, things would be different.

Liu Gouliang did not have much choice in the matter. To put Ma Long in would mean that he has to take someone else out and he has to abandon the idea of even competing in the team event. That would not be a good choice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Then it would be a grand slam contest!
Go Zhang Jike and Wang Hao!

and to clear things up, as said by some, the qualification is not solely based on the 2012 Asian Olympic Qualification but the rankings and performance from the past year (which is rather odd for a qualification system)..

It is pretty much obvious for quite some time though that Zhang Jike and Wang Hao will play singles and Ma Long will accompany them to play team..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
WHAAAAAAT! I'm upset about this news... What is wrong with the Chinese?
I will prefer to see Ma Long playing the singles rather than Wang Hao...
I really don't understand this decision I mean it's obvious that Ma Long played really well at every tournament this year; but maybe LGL still think that he won't be able to handle the pressure that Olympics Games recquired is not yet satisfied with his performances or maybe (and still think that!) he prefer Wang Hao!

GO ZHANG JIKE!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
WHAAAAAAT! I'm upset about this news... What is wrong with the Chinese?
I will prefer to see Ma Long playing the singles rather than Wang Hao...
I really don't understand this decision I mean it's obvious that Ma Long played really well at every tournament this year; but maybe LGL still think that he won't be able to handle the pressure that Olympics Games recquired is not yet satisfied with his performances or maybe (and still think that!) he prefer Wang Hao!

GO ZHANG JIKE!!

You should read the posts. Liu Gouliang did not have a choice. Ma Long did not qualify to play the singles. Wang Hao and Zhang Jike did. If Liu Gouliang pulled one of those two out so that Ma Long could play in the singles, then China would forfeit its ability to play in the team event. I believe that is how things were.