Match strategy for a Left handed player

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi,

I am a left handed player and many a times after my loss I encounter the comments from several people which are like "You don't play a typically lefty's game".
I have tried asking them to elaborate but I have never received any response worth consider. It appears to me that people who observe, may be knowing it but have difficulty to put in in words.

I would now request you guys to please help me out by:
1. Pointing out what are the strengths of a typical left handed player?
2. What is a lefty's game? (firstly, is there anything like this at all)?
3. What are the most widely strategies by left handed players?

Interestingly, I was reading about this on internet and I found that hitting a inside-out forehand is considered to be lefty's strength, if so, then I am doomed because I really don't have that much agility in my movement that I can do this consistently.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions which are relatively easy to incorporate other than going to China and practicing with CNT?

Thank you for your help.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The trouble a lot of RH players have vs Southpaw is when lefty opens with FH. The ball goes to the crossover differently and often to the bh side. Many RH players are not comfy rallying with bh or do not want to step around to use fh and risk opening up the wide fh. Its all silly as the rh player has the same strengths vs lefty.

Maybe you play a lot of bh shots or hit your fh shots to his fh...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
There is a lot of potential in service for lefties. I am a lefty and I almost always use a sidespin serve. Also, I have found that if you put more sidespin on your shots, righties don't expect the bounce into their body. Of course, good players will not lose points from this, but this is one of the things that is advantageous for lefties. Also, like Der_Echte said, don't hit the forehand to forehand unless it's unexpected. Also, do the same thing for slams.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
When I said this...

"Maybe you play a lot of bh shots or hit your fh shots to his fh..."

I mean that saying that could be a reason why RH players say you play like a RH player. When a LH player uses a lot of BH, the RH player generally gets to use FH.

Conversely, as a RH player, a lot of Lefty players hate playing vs me as I have a good BH. Nothing like a good BH to equalize that strangeness lefties bring to RH players. My BH shot can be done suddenly without much backswing, so hard to predict the course. Plus, my BH flip is good and lots of lefties like to leave the ball low/tight to BH side thinking that is safe, which it NORMALY is vs RH players.

As I said earlier, RH players have the same strengths vs a lefty, but the Southpaws face a lot more RH players than RH players face, so they have more experience and do not crumble automatically vs an opposite hand player.

Reactions: agold