More soreness on my right side after working out

Hi TTD community. I've been training TT more seriously and intensively since last year. Thing is I've started to feel more soreness on my right side while exercising (like in pull-ups, push-up, bulgarian squats) than my left one, guess it's because that's also the side I work the most on the table. I'm worried that I'll get many muscle imbalances and look funny 🤪. I do some isolation for my left side but still feel the right more sore at the end of the day. Have you also experienced that? Should I just ignore it and focus more on my training instead? Thanks in advance 🙏

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I think it is normal to look imbalanced. I think if you look at Nadal, his left arm is a lot bigger than the right arm.

I don't really care just as long as I look good on the table...i.e. beating everyone in my path!

But in all seriousness, if you are concerned about that, I think it is best if you hire a personal trainer and figure out what types or kinds of exercises you can do for your left side of the body. My usual rule of thumb is, when in doubt, hire a professional!

Reactions: Kolev
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I'll echo what JJ said above: don't get too freaked out by small imbalances. We all have them.

That said, if you continue to primarily feel sore just on your dominant side, you may want to evaluate your form through video.

Make sure the bar (or your body) is not lopsided and that you are pulling/pushing evenly.

Include more unilateral work for both the lower and upper body:
  • Keep the Bulgarian split squats
  • Lunges, single-leg deadlifts, single-leg hip thrusts, skater squats, etc.
  • Dumbbell presses and rows
  • Dumbbell / D-handle arm / shoulder movements
Then just give your body time.

By default your non-dominant side is less trained than your dominant side is, so it needs time to catch up. You are also less coordinated on that side, so you need time to dial things in on the neurological side of things as well.

You won't close the gap completely, but you can even things out to a fair degree.

When doing unilateral work, the standard practice is to match reps between limbs, starting with your weaker side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hi TTD community. I've been training TT more seriously and intensively since last year. Thing is I've started to feel more soreness on my right side while exercising (like in pull-ups, push-up, bulgarian squats) than my left one, guess it's because that's also the side I work the most on the table. I'm worried that I'll get many muscle imbalances and look funny 🤪. I do some isolation for my left side but still feel the right more sore at the end of the day. Have you also experienced that? Should I just ignore it and focus more on my training instead? Thanks in advance 🙏
My right arm was always stronger than my left, and I can tell you for sure that TT didn't make it more imbalanced. In fact, TT helped BOTH my shoulders to get bigger, and both my forearms to get stronger. I think that if you train both sides equally while working out, the body will balance itself out for the most part. Minor imbalances are normal and natural, and if you are not a competitive bodybuilder I wouldn't worry about it.

I think it is normal to look imbalanced. I think if you look at Nadal, his left arm is a lot bigger than the right arm.

I don't really care just as long as I look good on the table...i.e. beating everyone in my path!

But in all seriousness, if you are concerned about that, I think it is best if you hire a personal trainer and figure out what types or kinds of exercises you can do for your left side of the body. My usual rule of thumb is, when in doubt, hire a professional!
Yeah, any racket sport will lead to muscle imbalances, specially in tennis being very physical demanding. Nadal is an extreme case imo... 😶

rafas-arms.jpg

His """"weak"""" side is great, but his strong one... dayum!

I'll echo what JJ said above: don't get too freaked out by small imbalances. We all have them.

That said, if you continue to primarily feel sore just on your dominant side, you may want to evaluate your form through video.

Make sure the bar (or your body) is not lopsided and that you are pulling/pushing evenly.

Include more unilateral work for both the lower and upper body:
  • Keep the Bulgarian split squats
  • Lunges, single-leg deadlifts, single-leg hip thrusts, skater squats, etc.
  • Dumbbell presses and rows
  • Dumbbell / D-handle arm / shoulder movements
Then just give your body time.

By default your non-dominant side is less trained than your dominant side is, so it needs time to catch up. You are also less coordinated on that side, so you need time to dial things in on the neurological side of things as well.

You won't close the gap completely, but you can even things out to a fair degree.

When doing unilateral work, the standard practice is to match reps between limbs, starting with your weaker side.
Definitely gonna try recording myself, maybe I'm pushing/pulling more with my right side without knowing...
Also, could you suggest any unilateral exercise for the obliques? I've tried side crunches but don't feel much activation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Definitely gonna try recording myself, maybe I'm pushing/pulling more with my right side without knowing...
Also, could you suggest any unilateral exercise for the obliques? I've tried side crunches but don't feel much activation.
Cable or banded chops/lifts are great. You could also try side planks, single-arm farmer's carries, cable crunches (down with a twist to each side), crossing/twisting leg raises, etc.