Need help fixing forehand technique

This user has no status.
I don't think izra and I disagree at all. Our different degrees of emphasis might simply be a mental bias which doesn't amount to much in practice. After all, I have been bashing my students on the head this past week about lifting the ball off the table by swinging upwards with open paddles. I have told them that they must either try to dominate the ball with force or dominate it with spin. Most of them try to use slow touch and weak spin, which is the worst combination in the world.

my thoughts exactly.

says what [IMG]
This and what follows is some pretty good stuff. That process of getting someone to sort something out for themselves is good teaching whereas Archie's idea of just doing the work for the person.....well, I think how you let this unfold was quite well done.

Perhaps you've not considered that the idea of MI + A is NOT to figure out the student's MI + A, and then just implant your own MI + A for them to follow. The idea is to guide them towards a better one.

For example, Ross had a driver who was always exiting a corner on an oval circuit too far from the outside wall. He was losing time by not letting the car run free and accelerating freely. He didn't want to hit the wall, understandably, but he was several feet away from it.

An hour had passed, with the race team leader shouting at him over the radio to exit the turn faster and being constantly told to let the car run closer to the wall. They had made no progress.

Ross got on the radio, and told the driver to report the distance from his car to the wall as he exited the corner.

4 feet. 3 feet. 2 feet. Eventually, 1 foot. It took only a fraction of the time they had spent to now, and the driver never again had problems with not letting the car run free.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Archie, go back and read Izra's comments. If you can figure out what he is saying, you may learn something. It is obvious that Izra is a teacher. And it is obvious, you are still doing the same old same old.

But I will confess, you do provide plenty of entertainment for the forum.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says what [IMG]
Archie, go back and read Izra's comments. If you can figure out what he is saying, you may learn something. It is obvious that Izra is a teacher. And it is obvious, you are still doing the same old same old.

What is it that I am doing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015

That's for sure. I'm still on the fence whether Archosaurus is a very subtle troll who does this for sh*t and giggles or he's just your typical 'know-it-all' teenager, willing to dispense advice on a very wide area of subjects. Dunning-Kruger effect comes to mind too. A lot.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
That's for sure. I'm still on the fence whether Archosaurus is a very subtle troll who does this for sh*t and giggles or he's just your typical 'know-it-all' teenager, willing to dispense advance on a very wide area of subjects. Dunning-Kruger effect comes to mind too. A lot.

How clearly do I have to spell out "This is not my idea, I'm just bringing it here"?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I was not referring to THAT particular post, but rather overall body of work. Your last comment on chopper thread is a good example of this, IMHO. I got the impression you don't have exposure to good playing partners and up till now played with a dead premade, so what are you basing your 'how to play choppers' advice on?

Time will take care of this - when I was 18 I thought I knew how world works and most of others( parents included) were ignorant. Needless to say, few years later my opinions changed.

says what [IMG]
I was not referring to THAT particular post, but rather overall body of work. Your last comment on chopper thread is a good example of this, IMHO. I got the impression you don't have exposure to good playing partners and up till now played with a dead premade, so what are you basing your 'how to play choppers' advice on?

Time will take care of this - when I was 18 I thought I knew how world works and most of others( parents included) were ignorant. Needless to say, few years later my opinions changed.

I'm not sure if you understand my writing properly, but please pay attention to the bolded text:

Don't take what I said as given, though. I don't have very much experience playing choppers, or in general.

There might be a scenario, especially in lower level play, where you might want to pin them to one side and feed them a certain kind of ball.

You might want to push more, and not risk it with very high level shots that you might not be able to pull off consistently. So insight from someone who is closer to your level and has extensive experience playing choppers is better.

EDIT: Hell, I'll make it easy for you.

Here is what I claimed as my basis:

"What I've heard from people who are good against choppers is that--"

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Archie, just the idea that you jump in over and over again on stuff you clearly and absolutely don't know, even if you are quoting someone else, or saying something like, "don't take what I say as given," is what keeps getting you in trouble. If you have never played a real chopper and your loop is not really a loop because the arc is caused by the ball being slow, not because the magnus effect on the ball forces the ball to curve in the air against the trajectory of the forward momentum, then why wouldn't you read and learn instead of commenting and repeating your consistent silliness that makes everyone scratch their head and wonder what drugs you have been taking.

One of the keys to knowing that Archie is a troll even if he doesn't know he is and doesn't mean to be, is that, after saying stuff that is totally wrong and kind of weird, and presenting it in a way as if he does know what he is talking about, then, anyone who makes a comment on anything he says, he comments back, over and over, repeatedly.

So, in a thread where Archie starts out with one comment that kind of hijacks the thread [NOTE: THIS THREAD ONCE WAS ABOUT THEKNIFE'S FOREHAND] by his 4th or 5th comment, he is arguing with 3 or 4 different people and trying to turn all of them into slightly different arguments. And no matter what someone says after that, whether their comment is a response to Archie or if it is bringing the thread back to the original subject, Archie makes a comment responding to almost every single comment that follows.

So, troll, or unintended troll, there is no way around the fact that the end result is that Archie hijacks threads and his posting patterns can only be summed up as trolling.

I personally don't think he means to troll. I just think he is ADHD and more than a bit solipsistic. But the end result of him arguing with 5 different people in one thread about 5 different things--while the antics are almost as entertaining as kukamonga's purposeful trolling about fake Butterfly blades--is that Archie is a troll. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And comments like this:

How clearly do I have to spell out "This is not my idea, I'm just bringing it here"?

Are absolutely part of the pattern. What does it matter if you are quoting someone who knew what he was talking about if you don't actually know what the guy was talking about and you are using it to mean something different that is still off base?

You could go back and read NextLevel's comments on that and see if you can understand what they mean too. NL was pretty clear on this. But what he said flew right over your head and you went on arguing with whatever the next comment was without understanding, without understanding sooooo much.

There is this American Indian story. It is an American Indian Chief standing in the middle of the desert with a US Army General. The defeated Indian Chief is listening to the General go on and on about how much more the white man knows than the red man. After listening for quite a while the Indian Chief draws a circle around them in the sand that is about 6 feet in diameter and says, "if this is how much the red man knows," then he draws a giant circle around the first circle that is about 60 feet in diameter and says, "and this is how much the white man knows," then he stands and points with his finger towards the horizon and turns in a circle pointing all the time at the horizon and drawing an imaginary circle, "than that is how much the white man doesn't know!"

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
a very nice thread with wonderful posts[emoji106] [emoji106] from NL and Izra. Actually the best teaching method will always be based on personal experience and trainers who really try to push and pull out every best in his players.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I am not sure if you are serious , its not funny. I have not seen a more clear and concise video of the modern forehand stroke explaining things more clearly. And regarding the arc , I find it quite natural .
It is a very funny video. Whenever I talked with a coach or an advanced player about arcing the FH trajectory, I was told something like that: NO, NEVER DO IT, JUST NEVER, LISTEN TO ME, NEVER EVER, JUST SIMPLY NEVER, FORGET ABOUT IT.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It is a very funny video. Whenever I talked with a coach or an advanced player about arcing the FH trajectory, I was told something like that: NO, NEVER DO IT, JUST NEVER, LISTEN TO ME, NEVER EVER, JUST SIMPLY NEVER, FORGET ABOUT IT.

I think sometimes, the issue is interpretation. The stroke arcs naturally - it's a matter of degree. And some people do funny things with their elbows and wrist to arc the stroke which makes it worse. But I have seen 2200 players deliberately arc their strokes by turning the wrist inwards and I find that for me, that is my best and most consistent stroke.

Last edited:
Reactions: izra
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews

I think they ment you shouldnt force the arc, because its a natural movement.