Pro talks About Why He doesnt discuss his equipment

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
the day an amateur player no longer care about his equipments means:

1. He has turned pro and is sponsored: He no longer has free will.
2. He is no longer passionate about TT and is looking at other sports like padle or hardbat.
3. He is close to quitting TT
4. TT is a game played in the garage with his dad and mum.
5. TT is something you play on a cruise boat during a vacation with drunk / overweight tourist.
6. He is broke and paycheck is not due.
7. Kids diaper and milk powder needs restocking.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
the day an amateur player no longer care about his equipments means:

1. He has turned pro and is sponsored: He no longer has free will.
2. He is no longer passionate about TT and is looking at other sports like padle or hardbat.
3. He is close to quitting TT
4. TT is a game played in the garage with his dad and mum.
5. TT is something you play on a cruise boat during a vacation with drunk / overweight tourist.
6. He is broke and paycheck is not due.
7. Kids diaper and milk powder needs restocking.
Butterfly Flextra, Gozo? Are you on tranquilizers?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Butterfly Flextra, Gozo? Are you on tranquilizers?
Glad you notice.

My new coach approves and he has a different approach for me.

He tells me; spin first. Even if it is slow and high is still alright. Next, learn how to loop at different placement and spin variety. So I now try ro loop slow and spinny and attempt at various spot on the table: BH, FH and middle spot.

Some of the more recent loops are, ahem, beautifully archy. ( Shameless self praise )

This user has no status.
Glad you notice.

He tells me; spin first. Even if it is slow and high is still alright. Next, learn how to loop at different placement and spin variety. So I now try ro loop slow and spinny and attempt at various spot on the table: BH, FH and middle spot.

Some of the more recent loops are, ahem, beautifully archy. ( Shameless self praise )
Slow spinny loops are boring. You can't beat smashing a fast loop past someone and then seeing the look on their face.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Glad you notice.

Have you been body snatched? Who is this coach? Why are you listening to him? What changed?

• Haha
Reactions: Johnniedarko
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Have you been body snatched? Who is this coach? Why are you listening to him? What changed?
Let's just say I am trying the Prof. Hulk persona for a change and see how it goes.
IMG_8424.jpeg

p/s It is mostly you guys fault really. You guys made it sound flat-hitting is like a dirty word. Looping is cool and all..

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I agree with him.

Timo Boll had a video where he weighed out all the Butterfly rubbers he got and chose the exact weight. Us mere mortals do not have money for that. I think it is that Lin Yun-Ju and other players got to use Tenergy 05 hard before that was available to the general public.

From my personal experience my backhand can adapt to C-1, Rakza 7 soft, BlueFire M2, Vega Asia, Vega Japan, etc. pretty easily. They really are about the same. Yes if you go harder like G-1, Rakza 7, BlueFire M1, Vega Pro, Vega X, yes they are different.

I think most ESN rubbers are more alike than different.

I am done testing different rubbers. I literally either use Hurricane 3 neo blue sponge v.s. Sanwei Target National on the forehand or one of the above softer ESN rubber on my backhand side. I am done experimenting. My current big task is to wear down all the rubbers I have bought. Since C-1 and Rakza 7 literally would not die, it might take a long time for me to wear down my current stock.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
I think it’s okay to choose what’s better for you, in first year of tt journey. If you didn’t have prior experience - how should you know what works for you? I saw a huge amount of an amateurs that using t05 and Timo Boll ALC, Viscaria etc. They train a lot and they doing pretty good. They have feeling, they have proper stroke and spin.

But to start from allwood with some hybrids with accent on a training, is much more healthier way to start.

I remember, my first setup was Ma Lin soft carbon and two Rakza x - man I can’t loop normally with it, and had no clue what carbon and pretty fast tensor is.

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Indeed a lot of pros have little to no knowledge in equipment compared to the EJs here. They probably just pic one that they like and most likely stick with it for a while
Ding! ding! ding! Correctomundo!

Case in point:
  • My previous coach plays with Sriver == ( post speed-glue ban ) ==> Tenergy 05 all his professional life.
  • He has the privilege of never paying a single penny for the rubbers.
  • Of course that was during his days representing my country.
  • Now he only knows Tenergy 05 and nothing else.
  • If you ask him what rubber to recommend, it would be Tenergy05 or Rozena for the budget conscious player.
  • My current coach it seems is Donic sponsored.
  • Will he be the same?

• Point is, if you want to ask about rubber, you need to talk to the EJ community. Why are you staring at me?

Ha, Olav! Great player, (a lefty:love:). Funny, though, that he blurts out that he is no longer a professional. Has always been a perennial talent and played several years in Germany. Since this season he has been playing for my old club in Belgium which I was a member of for about six years anyway. I never knew, though, that first-team players would play "for free", and now even act on the European stage.:ROFLMAO::censored:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Stiga has a showroom in Stockholm where consumers can come and try out pretty much all their blade and rubber combos. Really great way to find out what works for you without EJ'ing through the full range.
Is that what they call stockholm syndrome?
Falling in love with your captor (free racket setup testing?).

Reactions: kindof99

Tiz

This user has no status.

Tiz

This user has no status.
Jan 2023
"55 I don't think you'll find it anywhere". Well Stiga Dragon Grip (which by the way is on the FH side of my paddle) has 55 degree ESN and came out 2 years ago. There you go Olav, you learn something new every day!
Anyways jokes apart I do agree that beginners should focus more on proper technique, but EJing is so much fun!
Oh and OMEGA 7 China Ying has 60 degrees ESN, don't tell Olav!