Who do you think will win the Qatar Open 2018?

• Fan Zhendong

Votes: 51 67.1%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Simon Gauzy

• Tomokazu Harimoto

• Marcos Freitas

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
I meant international games . It seems playing international is different especially mentally in comparison with super league . I just say how a top ( overrated indeed ) chinese player like LGY can lose 4 to 0 ????!!!!!!!
You're being a bit unfair :) As far as I can see (that's not saying much), what tipped the balance in Calderano's favour are services and variation. And this is also what puts off Chinese players' games against European players most consistently. See Waldner in his time, Schlager at WTTC 2003, Samsonov even late in his career against quite a few top CNT, etc.

The level of table tennis on the international stage outside of China has improved lately. A few players are not so far with their footwork and power that they can't hold their ground against FZD for at least a couple of exchanges (they still lose the rally on average): Calderano, Kristian Karlsson, Groth, Ovtcharov, Pitchford recently, Youngsik, Gauzy, Harimoto in his own way and many more. At times they have found patterns that worked well for them (for instance: Karlsson vs FZD recently, FZD had trouble with a shovel serve to the middle or forehand... He'd open with a banana flick to the middle, Karlsson would counter/kill with his BH to FZD's wide forehand; or Groth vs FZD at Qatar Open yesterday: Groth losing the match at 9-7 up in the third game -_- but he was doing good until this point).

The thing is, CNT players are used to the tough games and pressure; so they'll buckle up, adjust their game (good coaching), play that little bit more steady than the opponent and win. However, LGY could not get into the game at all. He couldn't receive Calderano's serves well for most of the match, so he didn't get into the rally that often and whenever he did he'd meet more opposition than expected. He couldn't find his rhythm with Calderano's touch FH at the net and BH variation (placement, pace and spin). I think LGY would much rather face an all out aggressive player like FZD and counter the hell out of him.

The opposition on the international stage is probably higher than a couple of years ago, so it's unfair to compare LGY's performance to young ML's or ZJK's. ML had to go through quite a few losses before peaking too, and ZJK... wait where is ZJK? In a gala dinner? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
You're being a bit unfair :) As far as I can see (that's not saying much), what tipped the balance in Calderano's favour are services and variation. And this is also what puts off Chinese players' games against European players most consistently. See Waldner in his time, Schlager at WTTC 2003, Samsonov even late in his career against quite a few top CNT, etc.

The level of table tennis on the international stage outside of China has improved lately. A few players are not so far with their footwork and power that they can't hold their ground against FZD for at least a couple of exchanges (they still lose the rally on average): Calderano, Kristian Karlsson, Groth, Ovtcharov, Pitchford recently, Youngsik, Gauzy, Harimoto in his own way and many more. At times they have found patterns that worked well for them (for instance: Karlsson vs FZD recently, FZD had trouble with a shovel serve to the middle or forehand... He'd open with a banana flick to the middle, Karlsson would counter/kill with his BH to FZD's wide forehand; or Groth vs FZD at Qatar Open yesterday: Groth losing the match at 9-7 up in the third game -_- but he was doing good until this point).

The thing is, CNT players are used to the tough games and pressure; so they'll buckle up, adjust their game (good coaching), play that little bit more steady than the opponent and win. However, LGY could not get into the game at all. He couldn't receive Calderano's serves well for most of the match, so he didn't get into the rally that often and whenever he did he'd meet more opposition than expected. He couldn't find his rhythm with Calderano's touch FH at the net and BH variation (placement, pace and spin). I think LGY would much rather face an all out aggressive player like FZD and counter the hell out of him.

The opposition on the international stage is probably higher than a couple of years ago, so it's unfair to compare LGY's performance to young ML's or ZJK's. ML had to go through quite a few losses before peaking too, and ZJK... wait where is ZJK? In a gala dinner? :rolleyes:

I dont know maybe you are right in some points like lin didnt get in to the game or didnt expected hugo to be this aggressive . but the Top chinese player should be ready for every kind of players . and true... its unfair to compare him with young jike and ma long . Their level is out of reach remembering their peak . unless lin get grandslam lol .. lets wait for the future games . maybe lin will find a way to prove himself . If u want to know where is zjk now see this .. haha https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...7-Zhang-Jike-News-Pics-Videos-amp-more/page11 Good news :cool:

Reactions: talbon
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Thanks Ping but it's still blocked in the US and nowhere to be found on Turner Sports. I'm going to ask USATT for my decades of dues back for the portion sent to ITTF, or free use of the new coffee machine at ITTF HQ in Switzerland.

Instead of talking about coffee machines in Switzerland you could just install either HOLA (or any other free VPN software) or TOR within a couple of minutes and enjoy at least FZD vs Calderano...

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
I'd like to see more points in camera angles like this, but with 720/1080p60fps, because fast people
b15e46e8dc27e3efe513e0dc840611b9.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
This final would be even better if was with Ding Ning (yeah, I'm Ding Ning's widow) with either of them winning [emoji39]

I'm really glad LSW won!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thanks Ping but it's still blocked in the US and nowhere to be found on Turner Sports. I'm going to ask USATT for my decades of dues back for the portion sent to ITTF, or free use of the new coffee machine at ITTF HQ in Switzerland.

I have the same issue with the broadcast rights or whatever.

I have 2 possible solutions. Try the ITTF Facebook page, they sometimes live stream big games.
https://www.facebook.com/ITTFWorld/videos/2122529081110417/ - FZD vs Calderano on now

Otherwise try Opera browser, has a built in VPN.

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Stream:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FITTFWorld%2Fvideos%2F2122529081110417%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>