Question about Shakehand variations

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
What the hell is a standard grip. And why did arch get to decide what the standard is. I want a vote on what the standard shakehand grip should be. I think a player as new as arch shouldn't be the one to decide what a standard grip is. Especially when he hasn't had time to test different grips thoroughly on a way that Carl or Nextlevel have fiddled with their grips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Archosaurus
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Oh. And why hasn't anyone linked that experttabletennis dudes video of different shakehand grips yet. I know I'm not the only one to keep thinking of that video as some reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says what [IMG]
What the hell is a standard grip. And why did arch get to decide what the standard is. I want a vote on what the standard shakehand grip should be. I think a player as new as arch shouldn't be the one to decide what a standard grip is. Especially when he hasn't had time to test different grips thoroughly on a way that Carl or Nextlevel have fiddled with their grips

That's a good point. Is a standard grip decided on how many players play with it, how neutral it is, how deep or not deep it is?

Do different coaches teach different "standard" grips?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Oh. And why hasn't anyone linked that experttabletennis dudes video of different shakehand grips yet. I know I'm not the only one to keep thinking of that video as some reference.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

He has some good ideas, and I used to reference the video, but as I understood table tennis better and worked with more experienced players and coaches, I came to form my own views which are not quite the same as his.

says what [IMG]
He has some good ideas, and I used to reference the video, but as I understood table tennis better and worked with more experienced players and coaches, I came to form my own views which are not quite the same as his.
I used to like his content as well, but the presentation is a bit like, well, how a forum goer would present it.

On top of that, and this is just my personal bias and not a representation of reality, but I don't really hold English table tennis to too much of a high level. Maybe I've just missed all of the good ones.

Well, whatever Ben is, at least he is not a self proclaimed player of ONE YEAR who posts detailed analysis and advice on pro level play on the internet on his own website. I won't go pointing any fingers, but I think I understand how you guys see me, when I read that site. ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews

I really like how he explains what some grips helped him with and made other parts more difficult, this can really help players realize that there is no perfect grip for them. They really have to just find what's comfortable for themselves and go with it.

Your video and advice helped me far more than that video ever could. Explaining that grip change will just happen as I learned to anticipate balls and to not fight the change the way I was when trying to change my grip was more helpful than I could imagine. I believe I actually shot up quite a bit in level from the advice I've gotten from you more than any other video has ever helped me.

says what [IMG]
I really like how he explains what some grips helped him with and made other parts more difficult, this can really help players realize that there is no perfect grip for them. They really have to just find what's comfortable for themselves and go with it.

Your video and advice helped me far more than that video ever could. Explaining that grip change will just happen as I learned to anticipate balls and to not fight the change the way I was when trying to change my grip was more helpful than I could imagine. I believe I actually shot up quite a bit in level from the advice I've gotten from you more than any other video has ever helped me.
I'm curious as to what video you're talking about. I'm slowly realizing just how good NL is (He'd be 2200 if he could move like lightning) so I'm gonna listen to whatever he has to say.

Reactions: hopper
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I used to like his content as well, but the presentation is a bit like, well, how a forum goer would present it.

On top of that, and this is just my personal bias and not a representation of reality, but I don't really hold English table tennis to too much of a high level. Maybe I've just missed all of the good ones.

Well, whatever Ben is, at least he is not a self proclaimed player of ONE YEAR who posts detailed analysis and advice on pro level play on the internet on his own website. I won't go pointing any fingers, but I think I understand how you guys see me, when I read that site. ;)

Ben is actually a 2100-2250 player (he is top 200 in England IIRC). A lot of his stuff is thoughtful and intelligent and often correct at the basic level and even if not at an advanced level it has merit. As a good coach once told me, coaches disagree all the time, and not always in ways that show that both of them are making sense. It can be personality or preference or training that drives biases. Shuki's approach is the right approach to it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews

What do you mean by that? Ben is damn good! I think he has been playing tt for about 15 years at a high lvl.

England has had alot of good players like right now Sam Walker, Paul Drinhall and Liam Pitchford. Not to forget guys like Gavin Evans who were dominating the juniors scene even against China. Unluckily he got injured and had to stop playing.

I reccomend you go and listen to the podcast he does. They are amazing!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What do you mean by that? Ben is damn good! I think he has been playing tt for about 15 years at a high lvl.

England has had alot of good players like right now Sam Walker, Paul Drinhall and Liam Pitchford. Not to forget guys like Gavin Evans who were dominating the juniors scene even against China. Unluckily he got injured and had to stop playing.

I reccomend you go and listen to the podcast he does. They are amazing!

Don't mind Archo. He likes to pretend he knows things he knows nothing about and thinks that reading about a subject and plagiarizing other people's content without understanding the context for the original statements makes him sound like he knows what he is talking about.

Go through his posting history and see if you can find some of the stuff he wrote about playing vs a chopper. Then realize and understand that he has never played a real chopper. Or how many times he has said that if it works in theory it should work in practice even if he had never done what he was pretending to be an expert on.

One day he will understand the value of speaking from experience and why someone who does know the subject, any subject, can see through the bluster and the silly pretending to be an expert.

But, he's still a smart kid and he is learning and getting better at refraining from doing this. And we like him in spite of how foolish he sometimes sounds.

And for sure, for someone who is at best 1200 and has no real players to play with, he definitely talks a mean game about all he "knows". [emoji2]

We are all just hoping that some day he wends his way to a real club and gets real experience playing real players and working with real coaches. When that happens, the world will be a better place. [emoji2]

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The more nuanced and useful video because it actually looks more closely at what they do even with their supposed neutral grips.

A nuanced video, but not telling you what happens even with a neutral grip.

I think that first video really gets at the issue in a pretty complete and useful way. The second video is good as well but they go much more in depth in the first video.

Truthfully, after the first video NL posted from PingSkillz, I don't know that anything else need to be said. But...in spite of that....here goes nothing......

So, here is actual information from me on my grip. If any of you have seen footage of me hitting a FH, you can immediately see that my wrist drops like crazy. Has it always? I don't know. But I suspect that that was not what I did when I was a kid or when I started trying to learn how to play when I was 44. And when I was trying to teach myself, before I could spin the ball, I somehow got the idea that having my wrist like that was part of what you did to spin the ball so I started doing that. My head got something wrong and I started doing an exaggeration of what should be done. And I have been doing it for quite a long time now.

I want to say I can't stop; It is ingrained in me now; It feels very natural. However, I know that those statements are almost true but are not actually true.

Now, a few years ago I played with changing my grip. I did it several times and played around with a few things. The first change which started all the others: a friend of mine who is a passionate maniac and has very strong opinions but often asserts things as though something that is useful in some way, is what EVERYONE has to do. For instance, after getting his butt kicked by Der_Echte (NextLevel, this is SmashFan, hehe), and then learning that Der_ uses a cheapo rubber on his BH, this guy said, "Oh, then all we need to do is get Der_ T05fx for BH. That will help."

Anyway, so this guy showed me his grip, told me it was the grip ZJK uses and that everyone should use it. This is an extreme BH grip. And the truth is, I still play around with it because it is amazing how easy it is to spin the hell out of the ball or over the table loop on BH when I do. But hitting a FH from that grip is totally odd until you are used to it. And with the extreme flexibility of my wrist and my tendency to drop and hook my wrist, it was sort of like a double hook. [emoji2]

An aside, I have watched this guy recently and noticed that he doesn't use the grip that he was telling me I should use back then. My guess, actually is, that he continually is making adjustments to his grip and doesn't even realize it. Someone comfortable with their grip and at a level that he is at, will likely be doing that.

Anyway, while fixing, breaking apart and rebuilding my FH, Edmund Suen convinced me that I was not ZJK and I should use a different grip. His suggestion was more "neutral". He also tried in vain to get me to stop dropping my wrist. Anyway, at first I ignored him and played with one version of a grip where I switched grips a decent amount for FH and BH. It was easy because the switch was very simple. But it was flawed because, when I switched to FH the grip was too unstable because of where on the handle my thumb dropped. Then I played with one neutral grip. At a certain point I decided to change to a different grip that was also neutral. Then eventually, talking to a friend who is a tennis player I tried something that gave me what I felt and feel is most sensible for me. It is my current grip: with this grip, as my hand and wrist change angles for FH or BH, my grip switched a bit, but the switch is natural and I am not trying to switch. This grip was the only one that instantly felt natural and there was almost no adjustment period where I worked to get used to the new grip. It was more like I was just grabbing the racket in a way that unconsciously felt like home.

At this point, I must confess that, I am not actually 100% sure what my current grip is because it changes shot by shot, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I have my base BH grip and my base FH grip. When I am hitting BHs and lock into BH whether in training or a match, I will sometimes shift into that extreme BH grip. Now it is hard to switch to a FH grip from that, but it is almost the same grip as what I use for my big hook FH instead of my regular hook FH. Hahaha.

In all those grip changes, one thing I realized is that my self hitting drill was something that allowed me to change grips and get used to a new grip much faster.

One of the first things NL saw the first time we played is my tendency to drop and hook my wrist on FH. He is not alone. He spent about 30-45 seconds looking at the possibility of me getting my wrist to a more neutral position. We even have that on video. Hahaha. Others have tried as well.

Michael Landers has spent a decent amount of time talking to me about the value of having a grip that can make subtle and not so subtle shifts for different shots. One thing he emphasized to me is that I should work on having a down the line inside out shot (a fade). Matthew Khan actually made me work on this a bit as well. And then I started realizing how to undo my wrist hook.

So, a few times, recently, I have played with a friend's robot and have worked on being comfortable with hitting fade shots. I have noticed that in doing that it opened my comfort to shifting my grip in certain ways that I never was comfortable with before. I honestly never was comfortable contacting the inside of the ball. I am so used to contacting the outside of the ball with my FH that even contacting the back of the ball was hard to get used to. But using a robot and slowing things down made me comfortable playing with those contact points with my FH.

In playing around with it and looking at footage of what feels like my wrist being neutral and how dropped my wrist still is when it feels like the wrist is in a neutral position, I know I now can have my wrist neutral. But that feels bad to me. And it feels like my wrist is lifted.

I have noticed for a long time that my grip shifts from shot to shot. The basic shift from FH to BH or from BH to FH is something I usually don't notice. But once in a while, doing drills, I will feel myself switch grips in the middle of a transition. But most of it is pretty unconscious.

The basic deal is, when I hit a BH, I am holding with my index finger and thumb against the rubber and adjust my wrist and forearm angle so my racket is closed. The fingers on the handle are very relaxed and not even really holding. And I definitely can take them off and hit BHs with only the index finger and thumb holding like in a serve grip.

On my FH it feels like I turn my wrist open and back. From video footage, I know that I don't. But I am still shifting my wrist a lot and that forces my thumb to be on the the angled top of the handle instead of on the blade face. And as I do actually open my wrist to contact the inside of the ball for fade shots, my thumb shifts a little towards the side of that wedge shaped angle at the top of the handle.

I am still holding with the thumb and index finger but the role of the index finger on the blade face is much more vital in the touch of my FH strokes; the thumb presses some part of the top of the handle but not to the extent it does on BH. And on FH the fingers on the handle are still relaxed but they are holding some. So, with a BH I could hold with a serve grip and my fingers completely off the handle. But with FH I have a feeling that would not work so well.

I will see if I can make some photos of grips later on in the day.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Great discussion! Thanks for sharing your experiences! :)

Little Offtopic: How about a TTD meeting in LYT-Club i will arrive in NY the 8. of July and stay there for some days.
Now are you guys interested? :) Plz tell me if you have time. Or if not i can come visit you at your club if possible.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
How many days? You start using my grips and your coach will wonder who hypnotized you. Of course, you could blame it all on the Goon Squad and tell them all to jump off the Crooklyn bridge for jollies.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I don't know exactly propably not too many.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I'm not sure if I ripped Smash fan a new one. The score indicated that... I won 3-0 and Carl saw a lot of the action and antics... but it felt like Smashfan was toying around (and paying for it) and not even half serious until game 3.

In SF's favor, it IS kinda tricky to play vs me the first time, especially on serve receive. When opponent is dead set to serve to my BH, I can make them pay. So first match and Rambo first blood don't really have much relevance in the long run.

Sent from my SM-T350 Tab nsA using Tapatalky BH

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
NL, if you did any more videos like that, we'd need to pay you. And just because I don't like something doesn't mean I think it's bad.

Carl, I'd really want to play some (genuine) 1200's. You'd be surprised because they're damn near identical to the people I do already play.

Well, apart from the under-rated juniors who have been training for the past year and will be bumped up to 1500's anyway. :p

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Great discussion! Thanks for sharing your experiences! :)

Little Offtopic: How about a TTD meeting in LYT-Club i will arrive in NY the 8. of July and stay there for some days.
Now are you guys interested? :) Plz tell me if you have time. Or if not i can come visit you at your club if possible.

Boogar: make a new thread on this subject and let's try and set that up. It will be fun.

July 8th is a Friday so I won't be able to be there because of work and family obligations. But Saturday and/or Sunday July 9th and 10th might be options. All that being said, However, Matt Hetherington may be at LIly Yip Table Tennis Center that day.