Rackets for two different styles...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Would it not be an advantage to a player to own different rackets and master different styles of play to be able to confuse the opponent? Does anyone do this?

Dino

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
cache.php

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
so on more advanced level is not normally encountered? Wake up one day and switch racket and style :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
so on more advanced level is not normally encountered? Wake up one day and switch racket and style :)

No, the higher you go the less common it is. Takes too much skill and precision when playing advanced levels. Below 2000, sure you could probably play 4-5 different styles and be fine! Anti spin blocker, chopper, retriever/lobber, and a two wing power looper!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
No, the higher you go the less common it is. Takes too much skill and precision when playing advanced levels. Below 2000, sure you could probably play 4-5 different styles and be fine! Anti spin blocker, chopper, retriever/lobber, and a two wing power looper!
That kind of describes me. I play mostly for the exercise. I get bored playing with the same paddle all the time. However, everyone says I play best with double inverted or inverted with SP.

The only advantage I see is that since I have played with all the 'junk' rubbers, I know how to play against them.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
That kind of describes me. I play mostly for the exercise. I get bored playing with the same paddle all the time. However, everyone says I play best with double inverted or inverted with SP.

The only advantage I see is that since I have played with all the 'junk' rubbers, I know how to play against them.

I never played with LP in example on a regular basis, and yet feel quite (edit: relatively ; ) comfortable playing against them ... but sure, knowing the rubber helps.

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!

Like others have said, it becomes less common as you move up the ranks.

Generally speaking, you have to be pretty good using LP or SP to make it at a high level - Most 2 winged attackers would blow you off the table unless you are really good.

So if you aren't using LP or SP all the time, you probably won't get to that level to be able to compete in the first place.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016

I'm pretty well versed with most of the rubbers, so I can be a good training partner for people depending on what they need to work on. LP/anti blocking style is very difficult to deal with, unless you're familiar with it. But go into a tournament with almost no games against that type of player... at equal skill levels, you will nearly always lose.

On the same token, quite a few players don't want to train with you using those styles! So go figure...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I was playing today with my Matador, T25, and Megablock. I don't play with this combination all the time. At first it was rough going for me since the Megablock could bounce back balls but without speed. Too many of these were killed. Later I got better at increasing speed and keeping the ball low. and forced more errors but it was rough. It took me a while to get into the megablock mode. The person I was playing with has been playing for 50+ years. The anti was not going to fool him and the slow returns were not going to challenge him.
Tomorrow I will play the same player. I will go back to either double inverted or with SP ( 802-40 1.8mm ) on the BH. I feed I can apply much more pressure with either SP or inverted on the BH. I am confident that I can play double inverted against this player and either shake hands or c-pen and keep him on the defensive.

I think what I am trying to say, and wish it wasn't so, double inverted rules.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I've messed around quite a bit with LP and it's great fun and it's a bit educational as a beginner to understand what works and what doesn't.

My experience is that it seriously messes up your instincts when you go back an forth. Imagine that you're a bit from the table and you get a deep push. Playing will LP will ingrain the instinct to chop the ball instead of looping the ball if you have inverted on the BH. The same applies if you get into a situation where you need to fish with your BH and you have LP on the BH... this is extremely tricky.