Rainer87 matchvideo

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Hi Strangeloop! I am working hard on getting better, doing drills all the time and video analysing as well. We were doing drills again yesterday and I think I managed to recoil better than before, but still have long way to go. I will have competition coming up on 18.11 where I hope to put practice into action, we will see how it goes. I will post some vids of that as well.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I should have broken out the digicam for D@vid's time in our club. He had a really impressive advanced BH topspin vs incoming topsin at a meter away from table and could move to balls pretty well and make a mean hookshot. Added to the gig is the fact he is a LEFTY and his fade sidespins gave the RIGHTY club members fits. You would like to become as light as him and adapt some of his strokes to yur game. For now, you are doing the best or better than you can in your situation. I had it really bad trying to start out in this sport and counted the first 2 years in it as zero years, i could only play a couple matches maybe once a week after an hours drive. You are in a situation to improve and enjoy our sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I sure would have wanted to see that guys BH. I am lucky that I have nearest place to play only 5 minutes drive away from home. Ather place where most of the city best players are training is 20 minutes drive away, also quite near. I really like the sport, according to my wife even too much :).

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If your wife gets too much on your case about TT, maybe i can mail her one of my jerseys with our KFTTC stuff on it to feel better, maybe start a fashion revolution over there as the only owner of a Korean sponsored jersey even many TT people do not own...

My TT situation is 100,000% better since I came to Korea a few years back. My club is a 5 minute walk and a 6 other clubs are within 10-30 minute bicycle ride.

The Armed Forces Korean Peninsula Championships are approaching in Daegu (The city that hosted the World Athletic (Track/Field) Championships) in 10 days.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Hi again!

I had the best competition ever. Day before I managed to injure my lower back again. After finishing drawing with my kid, I tried to get up from small children chair, but I somehow I pulled my back. At first I thought I can say goodbye to my competition, but I felt a lot better in the morning. My back still didn’t let me to play 100%, but this didn’t keep my away from entering the competition. This has actually happened to me before and I saw doctor about it as well and they said that this is because of my behind the desk job. I also went to see physiotherapist about it and he showed me some exercises I must do to strengthen my lower back, also he recommended to go swimming. I didn’t fallow his instructions and now it stroke me again. I must taking care of my back more. Have you guys had similar problem? Maybe you know some good exercises?

Back to competition. I was seaded 23 by ranking and finish 12. I am ranked 189 at the moment in my country. I beat another Top100 (rank 78) player in my the second match and was very close beating another one (rank 57) in my last match of the tournament. I was leading with the sets 2:1, but lost the 4th set very easily. In the 5th set I was leading 5:4, but after changing sides, I started thinking that I can win this and started making easy mistakes and lost last set 7:11 and match 2:3. I was still happy that I managed to play against him so well, before the match I thought that I will go and get my ass kicked 0:3 :). In the middle of the tournament I also managed to beat 3:2 one female defender, who also plays near men Top100 level.

So, I am happy and I think you guys have something to do with it as well :).

I have full video on the second match and 2,5 set of the last match. Battery died in the middle of the last match, what a shame.

Video of the second match:

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
In your first vid, you were not exploding the BH stroke, you stopped the motion and it hurt your landing %. When you let teh shot go full, it landed with good results. Good save at 2:45 Changing spins against this opponet would get you easier points. He had a consistant soft block and made you lop 4-6 times. Your topspin serve at 5:25 to win game was huge. You looked like you were not comfortable reading 3/4 of his serves. Sad for opponent you finish on a net ball. He was giving you problems blocking. You could solve that by changing spins, so he doesn't use the same bat angle. He countered almost none of your attacks. You would have done better close to table. when your loop did not land deep, it was easy block or punch block that you had trouble continuing attack. Still, you found a way to win and you did that on your own proud. You made way too many errors attacking his easy serves, I would have cut a few of those to his BH or elbow and tried again on hte next ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
In your first vid, you were not exploding the BH stroke, you stopped the motion and it hurt your landing %. When you let teh shot go full, it landed with good results. Good save at 2:45 Changing spins against this opponet would get you easier points. He had a consistant soft block and made you lop 4-6 times. Your topspin serve at 5:25 to win game was huge. You looked like you were not comfortable reading 3/4 of his serves. Sad for opponent you finish on a net ball. He was giving you problems blocking. You could solve that by changing spins, so he doesn't use the same bat angle. He countered almost none of your attacks. You would have done better close to table. when your loop did not land deep, it was easy block or punch block that you had trouble continuing attack. Still, you found a way to win and you did that on your own proud. You made way too many errors attacking his easy serves, I would have cut a few of those to his BH or elbow and tried again on hte next ball.

You are very right, at some point I got already anoyed that I made so many mistake attacking his serves. I didnt give up and kept attacking them. They were not difficult, but somehow I still failed. Maybe I should do a similar drill when my partners serves long the same serve and I must attack with my FH or BH , I will give it a try today.
Also true about BH, for some reason I thought I will go for "safe" stroke, but I failed most of the time trying. When I went exploding the BH, I succeeded most of the time.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Rainer.. Congrats on the good performance. Competitions/matches are about game plans. It doesn't matter if you have better loops or not. You have to find a way to outplay the opponent or push him out of comfort zone and confuse him.

In this match up, you obviously have a good attacking game and your opponent is a blocker and counterhit player. You are the better mover. Why do you always have to hit the first ball? Since your opponent is not comfortable initiating the attack, you should push a few here and there and get a loose push and pounce on it. What's happening is he knows you will attack at the first opportunity and is ready for the block. Sometimes you should just hang back and not let him figure out which ball you will attack and where. A push can be very effective against people who don't move and loop well. You can keep it short, long, fast, heavy cut/no spin. It's risk free too. Doing this too much however will blunt your attacking instincts little bit but with practice you will know when to push and when to attack and you learn to mix them according to the situation & opponent. You can save some energy at least. Just my opinion.

Hey but no matter.. You stuck to your attacking game and beat him with your consistency. Keep putting in the hours at practice. You have improved a lot!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Hi Strangeloop!

I have to initiate the attack, because I like it. Attacking is the satisfaction I get from is game. When I am attacking I feel I am in my comfort zone, ofcourse when I get balls to land on the table. You just cant keep pushing with that guy, he will punish you. He has very strong smash and he can smash throu anything with FH and BH. I dont know why he isnt attacking more often in single games, in doubles he is attacking more often. Maybe I am uncomfortable opponent for him and also I didnt give hime change to attack, that was my game plan and it worked. I was little bit lucky as well, but I certainly deserved this victory.

Here is this second video I wrote about, shame that I dont have full video of the match, I think I played very well overall.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Like how you moved him at 1:26. You seemed to try flicking just about every serve of hiz. Try a short bump or a fast push deep right at him or wide FH. That will give him something to think about. he waz too ready to counter your flick or loop it. You missed a lot of his serves that you should have made. You did not seem to see the spin or ball well, or you were not determined or confident to return some. That gets better when you get better at TT and can read spin better.

One thing I saw you do is serve to his extreme BH. he did not attack those as he didn't reall have a BH loop. Why not make a fast loop right down his FH line since he vacated it? I do this a lot with those who can only cut return my cut serve to their BH. The other option is to stay at table, do not step around FH, and make a BH spinny loop right back at the. If that doesn't win the point, you get an easier ball to deal with as you choose, hopefully with a steparound FH kill shot. You kinda did that at 2:17 with a fast BH after a fast serve right at his elbow.

Haha, a reverse serve at 3:23!

I see that when you are making those nice, deep spinny BHs and try to use a FH on the next shot, you are only stepping around halfway. You need to practice a lot more the complete pivot. You need to make the right foot go from planted behind you, to a rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise behind you. maybe even make left foot go forward a bit to make a complete step around and weight transfer forward for the return. Opponent isn't fast blocking those and the ball will not come back very far, go going for a little 1/2 step forward as part of the step around FH preparation is good for you for these blocked balls from your BH topspin.

If/when opponent makes a block, even if it is slow, and the block goes to your elbow, you are out of position to make a strong shot. it forces you to bend too much, sometimes you make the shot enough to win point, but often, you lose the point right there. The problem comes from either weight transfer too far back that makes you move back a little as part of recovery, or you stand too tall after the shot watching what is happening, instead of moving body for a FH kill on opponent's block. Either way, you are not moving soon enough. Get this worked on in practice. Even if it is not a game match practice. Have someone block your BH topspin, make your topspin predictable to a place partner knows, he blocks it in direction of BH corner, you are already moving right after the BH topspin, you need to move right foot all the way around and move left foot forward a bit, so you are now standing to the left of the BH corner in a very open stance ready to finish the ball. You can in this position hit to any area of the table, because the good positioning allows this. If you did not step around all the way, it is very difficult to hit for power cross court. Your opponents appear to be wise enough to know this.

Another multiball drill you can do is have a partner get 3 balls in his had. he feeds you one cut to your BH corner, you BH topspin, once ball crosses net, he feeds you a no spin or light topsin to your BH corner, you already stepped around like described above and you make a strong shot on balance, partner now feeds a knuckle or light topspin ball to your FH corner right after ball crosses net. You use crossover footworks to get to that ball and make a finishing shot. Thsi drill is physically demanding and is only one of the drills my coach makes me do 3x a week. My training uses a lot of single ball (drill where player and coach use only one ball and are hitting it to each other) comination drills. She was a former defensive player, so she knows more than a little bit about blocking. We can do these combo drills with single ball often. These combo drills can really smoke you. (American expression for wear you out physically, like afterwards smoke is rising from your tired body)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Like how you moved him at 1:26. You seemed to try flicking just about every serve of hiz. Try a short bump or a fast push deep right at him or wide FH. That will give him something to think about. he waz too ready to counter your flick or loop it. You missed a lot of his serves that you should have made. You did not seem to see the spin or ball well, or you were not determined or confident to return some. That gets better when you get better at TT and can read spin better.

One thing I saw you do is serve to his extreme BH. he did not attack those as he didn't reall have a BH loop. Why not make a fast loop right down his FH line since he vacated it? I do this a lot with those who can only cut return my cut serve to their BH. The other option is to stay at table, do not step around FH, and make a BH spinny loop right back at the. If that doesn't win the point, you get an easier ball to deal with as you choose, hopefully with a steparound FH kill shot. You kinda did that at 2:17 with a fast BH after a fast serve right at his elbow.

Haha, a reverse serve at 3:23!

I see that when you are making those nice, deep spinny BHs and try to use a FH on the next shot, you are only stepping around halfway. You need to practice a lot more the complete pivot. You need to make the right foot go from planted behind you, to a rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise behind you. maybe even make left foot go forward a bit to make a complete step around and weight transfer forward for the return. Opponent isn't fast blocking those and the ball will not come back very far, go going for a little 1/2 step forward as part of the step around FH preparation is good for you for these blocked balls from your BH topspin.

If/when opponent makes a block, even if it is slow, and the block goes to your elbow, you are out of position to make a strong shot. it forces you to bend too much, sometimes you make the shot enough to win point, but often, you lose the point right there. The problem comes from either weight transfer too far back that makes you move back a little as part of recovery, or you stand too tall after the shot watching what is happening, instead of moving body for a FH kill on opponent's block. Either way, you are not moving soon enough. Get this worked on in practice. Even if it is not a game match practice. Have someone block your BH topspin, make your topspin predictable to a place partner knows, he blocks it in direction of BH corner, you are already moving right after the BH topspin, you need to move right foot all the way around and move left foot forward a bit, so you are now standing to the left of the BH corner in a very open stance ready to finish the ball. You can in this position hit to any area of the table, because the good positioning allows this. If you did not step around all the way, it is very difficult to hit for power cross court. Your opponents appear to be wise enough to know this.

Another multiball drill you can do is have a partner get 3 balls in his had. he feeds you one cut to your BH corner, you BH topspin, once ball crosses net, he feeds you a no spin or light topsin to your BH corner, you already stepped around like described above and you make a strong shot on balance, partner now feeds a knuckle or light topspin ball to your FH corner right after ball crosses net. You use crossover footworks to get to that ball and make a finishing shot. Thsi drill is physically demanding and is only one of the drills my coach makes me do 3x a week. My training uses a lot of single ball (drill where player and coach use only one ball and are hitting it to each other) comination drills. She was a former defensive player, so she knows more than a little bit about blocking. We can do these combo drills with single ball often. These combo drills can really smoke you. (American expression for wear you out physically, like afterwards smoke is rising from your tired body)

I don’t think I tried flicking and attacking everything, but yes, overall my game plan against anyone is to start attacking first if possible. Against him I feel I didn’t have chance to do it all the time, but yes, maybe I tried too often. I know in the fifth set, I lost the game because of that. At 5:5 it was his turn to serve and tried flicking both of them and failed. At this point I shouldn’t have risked so much, I understood that later myself.

I still haven’t used to attacking down the line with FH. I do it, but very rarely, most of the time it wins me the point, so why not do it more often? My fear is that shooting down the line with FH from BH corner leaves my wide FH open. Is it that most of the time my opponent block to my wide FH and I should predict that?

I tried my reverse serve only couple of times during in that competition, in practice I do it all the time. I still haven’t got confidence do use it regularly in competition. I need more practice with it.

Very true about to elbow shots and my step around technique. I don’t feel comfortable making FH shot after step around, I guess this is because I don’t step around all the way, I am still in BH oriented stance rather than in FH. You have mentioned this to me before. I am trying, but old habits die hard, I must but more effort in it.

I have tried that last drill before, but not with multiball. That crossover step is very difficult, I know the technique, but in drill I don’t know how to use it. I guess I have to start doing that drill all the time to start getting it right. I know it doesn’t come itself, I must put hours and hours to it.

Thanks again coach!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I'm not much of a coach Rainer, but more of a TT friend who can point out a few things for you. That crossover footwork after stepping around the FH corner doesn't come right away. Don't expect it to become natural the first week, or even first month you train it. If your partner can block OK, you can practice the BH open / Step around BH corner to make FH topspin, and crossover footwork to wide FH corner for finish shot all with single ball. My coach does both for me. We do the multiball version of it when I am pretty much smoked and she is trying to finish me off. (She has a very high rate of finishing off us players in lessons!)

As you noted earlier, when you let your opening topsin stroke go full, you landed more shots. The difference between a veteran player and one who is not is late in the game when it counts, the veteran does not fail in those shots so much, but can keep his play consistant under pressure.

Another popular tactic to get a player who has a good FH is to make a spinny loop deep to his FH corner, a hookshot is even better as it breaks away from him more, causing him to move more. You do that, and he will only attack the ball if it was not deep. You will get a ball back that you can handle. His BH corner is now totally vacant. if you stepped around all the way, you can hit the return anywhere with power and control.

Similar tactic is to open heavy to his BH corner, he will usually move a step, block,and try moving back into position. This is the exact moment you move forward with your BH and make a fast Bh shot right back at his BH corner! He will likely be off balance and not expecting that.

Just somethings to think about.It is good to have more options, but confusing if you have not in your mind decided which ones work for you and to immediately use them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Another season is over for me and I am very satisfied with it. I got a lot of help from this forum. Special thanks to Der_Echte for thorough comments. I have been mainly training my FH and BH openers and finishing them with stronger FH loop. Also, lately I have been doing a lot of footwork exercises. Still, it all needs a lot of work, but I think overall I have improved in all aspects of my game this season. During break from the competition until September I hope to improve even more, especially my serves.

Here is my latest matchvideo from this Sunday (21.04) against my main trainingpartner, I beat him for the very first time (for the ones who dont know me, I am the one in green):

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
In game one, one I could see right away is when you stayed close to teh tabel and used BH opener, you got a winner or the next ball to finish. I saw that when you backed away from the table and tried a BH against incoming topspin, you missed 5 or more of those giving your opponent free points. You could probably do a better job vs this opponent staying close to teh table and blocking on BH or making counterdrives with control. Your BH?FH combination was working really well for you throughout the match when you stayed close enough to the table. I would say to try to work on staying close to the table when you can and move back only when you must for FH counterlooping, which you made a number of nice FH counterloops with a good step to your wide FH. You moved well enough to get to a lot of balls, but especially game one, you were too far back to make those BH topspins agianst his drives, if you were 1/2 meter closer, it would have been much higher percentage as the ball would be more in your hitting zone.

Yes, you could use a LOT more viriety on your depth of serves, but it was not such a liability vs this opponent who only made a drive on only a few of your long serves. He was more than 1/2 the time giving you what you wanted. You could have gotten a few more balls to loop on BH if you served short and heavy to his short BH.

He knew he lost and accepted it before the finish.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
In game one, one I could see right away is when you stayed close to teh tabel and used BH opener, you got a winner or the next ball to finish. I saw that when you backed away from the table and tried a BH against incoming topspin, you missed 5 or more of those giving your opponent free points. You could probably do a better job vs this opponent staying close to teh table and blocking on BH or making counterdrives with control. Your BH?FH combination was working really well for you throughout the match when you stayed close enough to the table. I would say to try to work on staying close to the table when you can and move back only when you must for FH counterlooping, which you made a number of nice FH counterloops with a good step to your wide FH. You moved well enough to get to a lot of balls, but especially game one, you were too far back to make those BH topspins agianst his drives, if you were 1/2 meter closer, it would have been much higher percentage as the ball would be more in your hitting zone.

Yes, you could use a LOT more viriety on your depth of serves, but it was not such a liability vs this opponent who only made a drive on only a few of your long serves. He was more than 1/2 the time giving you what you wanted. You could have gotten a few more balls to loop on BH if you served short and heavy to his short BH.

He knew he lost and accepted it before the finish.

Thanks Der_Echte for your comments! I watched my video again and I must agree with you, when I stayed close to the table I was more stable and efficient with my attacks. I will work more on staying closer to the table.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I failed to mention you are obviously progressing.

I am not saying you should never be away from teh table as you moved well enough on FH to get to some balls you attacked strongly and won a lot of those rallies where you moved and got in a good FH. What I mean is you attack and control the point much more effectively closer to the table, especially with your BH. You do not make too many BH attacks too far from the table. Your opponent was pinning you dwon on BH wing and giving the ball to you shorter than you expected. You tried to attack a lot of those balls, but were too far back for the ball to be in your effective hitting zone, hence you missed a lot of those chances. You will have to find a better balance of where to position yourself when you move back. You get too far back and try to attack and the results are effectively the same as self-destruct - opponent only needs to get the ball to fall earlier and you go for the bait.

All of this (being in a decent position for whatever oppoent is doing) does not straighten itself out in a few sessions. It takes a lot of deliberate thought and practice and failure. If you find yourself too far back and a player gives you a ball that is shorter than you want or it drops too early, try to make a connecting shot where you brush the ball and return it low over the net with a light defensive topspin. If you impact the ball low enough, maybe opponent does not see the impact so clearly. Also, if you keep it low, the ball is difficult to time with you spin. Result is you get an error in attack or the next ball is much easier to pick up the attack. A lot of higher rated Korean amatures use this shot a LOT and it sets up their offense when they do not want to strongly attack a certain ball or it is not so high percentage to try to attack strongly.

Another shot to consider at the amature level is the BH chop. situation is you are away from the table and made a strong FH shot going towards your wide FH. Opponent stay at the table and blocks the ball to your BH. You are too far away to make a crossover step and attack the ball strongly with a BH loop. it is simply too low a percentage shot to get the position and make that shot. Too difficult to do on the move compared to FH. What you do is make a BH chop. You have a few options. Whatever you do, you impact the ball below table height and keep it low, first bounce on table either short or very deep. You can go for heavy spin, which is nice, but opponet can read that and simply bump it back, maybe even short. A more effective shot is a FAKE heavy chop, a shot where you impact the ball with a mostly open bat, and right after impact, you follow through all the way. The result is a very light spin chop that is almost a no-spin ball. Opponet sees this as chop and will want to attack it strongly, usually with a lifitng stroke or a bat angle that is too open. Opponent often loops this ball long and out, sometimes WAY out and looks at his bat and wonders what just happened.

I use that shot a lot when I get out of position too far back and opponent blocks a ball to my BH that I will likely lose the point if I try to attack it. That one shot has saved me a lot of points where the opponent had the initiative and control over the rally.

Those are two options for you if you find yourself too far back and get a ball to your BH that is out of reach for a strong attack on BH. Another thing to do is stay closer to the table, but we all never stay close to the table like we have a one meter rope tied to us.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Thanks! Sometimes when I feel I am not improving I watch for inspiration my older videos from 2011 and 2012 and compare them with newest one to convince myself that I HAVE IMPROVED :D.

Thank you for intresting idea! I use BH chop very rearly. Usually I try to loop it back with my BH too strongly and I rearly succeed. I think I should used softer BH loop or try to fish it back, or sometimes use chop instead. Like you said, it is BH loop from far is too risky and low percentage shot for me. Sometimes I try loob it back, but my loob is too week and my opponents kill it easily, especially Meelis. AS we are training partners, we know each others game very well. As I know it is an issue for me, I have been learning fishing with my BH as well, as fishing is more difficult to smash. Offcourse varity in play is most important. Anyway next time in practice we will play this scenario through and we will try defferent options with BH return. We will see how I will succeed with chopping.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Even vet players in my local club who know me hit my fake BH chop long and at and get pissed off. Both loopers and J-Pen hitters often knock my light chop out long, often by a meter or more. They do this as they know I can also make a heavy chop. It is real easy to make a light spin chop that is essentially a no-spin chop because if you do not get to plant your lead foot well, you will no leverage to make spin and control, yet teh full arm swing and follow through make it look like you are really loading up the spin. Since the ball is spinning (but at a much lower rate) it can be hard to judge the amount of spin. The BH chop on a wide BH ball where the athlete is moving to ball from wide FH corner is a very safe shot that lands with a high percentage. The possible spin variation is a great thing about this shot that makes is safer and more effective than fishing, unless you are able to place the ball deep. I can get away with shallow placement as my familiar opponets often mis-read my ball.

On another note, my NFL football team just drafted an excellent Estonian athlete (Margus Hunt). Dude won both Discus AND Shot Put in WM Junior Athletics. Wow, he has a chance to make a big impact in our league.

To practice the chop how one would really use it in a real match... Stepo around the BH to loop a ball down teh line to your opponent's FH corner. Have partner block teh ball crosscourt to your wide FH. You get to use crossover or fast 2 step footwork in succession to get to the block and loop it to middle of table. Partner blocks the ball to your BH side. Not really wide, but even center of table is enugh as it is real difficult for you to recover form your crossover move. You will have zero chance to recover and step around to make a FH attack. Zero chance. Trying to make a strong BH shot on the move under pressure is suicide. This is where you make one crossover step and reach teh ball in one step, drop waist and bump the ball when it is a bit below the table. You do not make a lot of spin, but follow through like you did. Try to keep the ball low, but if it is a little high, you can still get away with it sometimes. have partner try to attack the ball to finish the point. Try practicing making variation of heavy and light spin.

This shot is a great way to stay in a point as it lets you recover position and your shot is much more difficult to finish that it appears. if oppenent decides to push your lower chop, he will often pop it up as he thinks it has more spin. This a chance for you to move in and finish the point. Another way to practice this is to have partner try to push your chop and you to go on attack. The slowness of your chop lets you get back into the point to either defend or attack. This is a much more valuable shot than you would consider it to be.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This is an excert from Coach Larry Hodges collection of tips he wrote for USATT magazine and this one talks about what I have been describing.

Backhand Chopping in an Emergency You are stuck out of position away from the table on your forehand side of the table. Your opponent quick hits the ball to your wide backhand, and you can't possibly get to it and make an effective backhand drive. What do you do? This is the perfect time to chop the ball. Not only is it easier to do this shot from out of position than a more aggressive backhand drive, but it's a good change-up. However, many players don't use this shot because they don't think of themselves as choppers. You don't have to be a chopper to be able to throw in a good chop now and then. Just remember three principles, and your backhand chop will start to rescue you out of what was before an impossible position.
First, let the ball drop to table level or even below. Second, contact the ball more toward the back of the ball, not the bottom, with your racket facing more forward, not so much up, and graze the ball with a mostly downward stroke. Many players chop too much under the ball, and so pop it up. (Top choppers can do this, but that's a more advanced technique involving letting the ball drop almost to the floor, and vigorously chopping the ball with a very fine grazing motion.) Third, most topspin-style players tend to chop off the end since they aren't used to the way a backspin ball floats long. So try chopping so the ball hits your side of the table – and watch it float to the other side!

Original Link........

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/55