T05, what hardness?

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
To me it feels between ESN45 and 47.5 harness. Ex to me feels a bit harder than Baracuda and EL-S (esn45) and a bit softer than G1 and MX-S (ESN47.5). The butterfly scale doesn't perfectly correlate to ESN harness its not an exact science, and its difficult to tell what the sponge hardness of any rubber is just from playing with it (ex 05, 64, 25 all share the same sponge hardness but feel differently due to the topsheet structure), but the general rule of thumb thats bee tossed around is just add 10 degrees to the Butterfly hardness rating to get the general ballpark ESN rating.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
What's the hardness of Tenergy 05 in ESN scale? I did quite a bit of research and have found a ton of conflicting info, some saying it's 46, others say it's 45, others say it's 47 or 47,5...
Does half a ° or a full ° in sponge hardness really matter to you (in actual gameplay) or is it general curiosity?
Scarfed already pointed out that you have to take pimple structure etc. into consideration as well regarding the overall hardness feel; sponge hardness is just one variable.

Anyway, if you want to, you can just google some Tibhar rubbers, for example the MX-P. On the backside, the hardness scales are compared, within a certain range, of course. Tibhar rates the sponge hardness of the MX-P from 35 - 36.5° JPN which equals 45.7 - 47.7° Euro, i. e. ESN.
So, if 36.5° JPN equals 47.7° ESN, then 36° (Tenergy) has to be like 47 - 47.2° ESN.
Furthermore it should be mentioned that the difference between these two scales is not always about 10. If a sponge is very soft (well below 30° JPN), then the difference becomes smaller (i. e. <10°) and if a sponge is very hard, the difference is getting wider (i.e. > 10°). For example 40° JPN equals 52.3° ESN.

Reactions: mikeytt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Tibhar rates the sponge hardness of the MX-P from 35 - 36.5° JPN which equals 45.7 - 47.7° Euro, i. e. ESN.
Unfortunately they don´t. Exclusive to the Evolution series the hardness rated is the overall hardness of the rubber.
There was a huge discussion about this on a German forum where an insider then explained this, and from that point on it´s been denoted in the catalogue (but not on the website) like this:

* Evolution rubbers: the hardness corresponds to the rubber hardness, not the sponge hardness only

Doesn´t change the maths, but I think it´s an information not so widely known.

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
IMG_20240313_174355.png

So now, you need a simple conversion chart to represent Tenergy Spring Sponge nominal hardness 36 Shore A by ESN Shore О scale.
Well, no problem for me to do noob ariphmetics, no brainer at all.

ULTIMATE ANSWER
-- 36 Shore A corresponds to around 47 Shore O.

Last edited:
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Does half a ° or a full ° in sponge hardness really matter to you (in actual gameplay) or is it general curiosity?
Scarfed already pointed out that you have to take pimple structure etc. into consideration as well regarding the overall hardness feel; sponge hardness is just one variable.

Anyway, if you want to, you can just google some Tibhar rubbers, for example the MX-P. On the backside, the hardness scales are compared, within a certain range, of course. Tibhar rates the sponge hardness of the MX-P from 35 - 36.5° JPN which equals 45.7 - 47.7° Euro, i. e. ESN.
So, if 36.5° JPN equals 47.7° ESN, then 36° (Tenergy) has to be like 47 - 47.2° ESN.
Furthermore it should be mentioned that the difference between these two scales is not always about 10. If a sponge is very soft (well below 30° JPN), then the difference becomes smaller (i. e. <10°) and if a sponge is very hard, the difference is getting wider (i.e. > 10°). For example 40° JPN equals 52.3° ESN.
Just curiosity, I wanted to compare it to my current rubber. G1 is 47.5 and t05 feels significantly softer.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
For comparison, Fastarc G-1 is 48.3° Asker C. And it's almost certain that ESN uses Asker C.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Unfortunately they don´t. Exclusive to the Evolution series the hardness rated is the overall hardness of the rubber.
There was a huge discussion about this on a German forum where an insider then explained this, and from that point on it´s been denoted in the catalogue (but not on the website) like this:

* Evolution rubbers: the hardness corresponds to the rubber hardness, not the sponge hardness only

Great "little" piece of info. Wasn't aware of the explanation in the catalogue.
By the way: Was the insider ML himself or someone else?

This user has no status.
Here's my take on this question.

It might be around the 47 degree range, but if feels more like 46 and if I were to just spit ball a number out, I would say 46. Although the sponge might be 1 number, it is also important to remember that the topsheet also has a "hardness" to it. Some rubbers have a hard sponge but a thin and elastic topsheet which feels softer whereas some rubbers have the opposite with an elastic sponge but harder topsheet. So it is very difficult to compare to other brands because of this.

And here is a prime example on top of my head. Xiom Vega Pro / X has a hardness of 47.5 as well as the Xiom Omega 7 Pro. However, at least in my experience, the Omega 7 Pro feels softer because the ball engages the sponge more there.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp

Tiz

This user has no status.

Tiz

This user has no status.
Jan 2023

You're right, in the English catalog they write rubber hardness for the Evolution series, and sponge hardness for the other products.