Testing out Dian Chi booster (from china)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
When I boosted my rubber (4 layers) it curled up like hell, I've waited 7 or 8 days, but it barely flatten down after that time. I've just glued it to the blade, it was already playble, but I prefered to let it sit under a few dictionnaries ;)

So I guess 6 days is really the most you want to wait before you can glue it. In my opinion, the rubber is ready after 12 to 40h but it has to be compared to the 6 days method.

I don't really see the whole CNT (not just the Fab Five) preparing a their H3's on their shelves 6 days in advance... and calculating 6 days in advance to boost their sheets in order to have one ready when needed... I think they boost the new rubber (they change them every week or so if I'm not mistaken) one or two days before it's ready to play :p

I wonder what would happen with one or two layers.

It would be fun to really know what the Chinese team does but, I guess we cannot, because, if they do boost the rubbers after they come from the factory, it is against the rules. :)

says Hi, no thanks, I've found a place where I can get one...
Jan 2012
They get the rubbers boosted from the factory according to every players personal preference. And I don't think they use their forehand rubbers so long that it would need re-boosting(they get 20 fh rubbers per month in A-team). In that "Day with Xu Xin" video he said he changes his bh every seventh(? not sure if I remember correctly) and re-glues in the middle of the period, probably not reboosting though but just to ensure the bond between rubber and blade as the rubber is boosted and may be curling away and such.

Hi JustAlt,

I think it is very naive from you to think that the CNT play with factory tuned rubbers! They Dianchi or Haifu boost their sheets every time thy need to replace one. There is NO mistery about that. There is even a video where you can see Wang Liqin and Ma Lin boosting their sheets with Haifu oil. Also I don't think you can believe what Xu Xin says in the Stiga videos. For exemple he definitely doesn't use Stiga's rubber last time I checked. Stiga use his notoriety to promote the brand because he was already, from personnal choice, using a Stiga Rosewood.

Jan 2012
I wonder what would happen with one or two layers.

It would be fun to really know what the Chinese team does but, I guess we cannot, because, if they do boost the rubbers after they come from the factory, it is against the rules. :)

Personnaly I don't give a crap about rules like that. The ITTF doesn't even have the respect for its own set of rules, it doesn't give a damn about sport traditions. They proved that when they changed the size of the ball so it could more easily be seen on a TV screen, shortened the sets to be able to feed us more commercials beetwen games and avoid dumb people getting bored with the three sets in 21 points system, and skipping to another channel. The changing from speed glue to tensor rubbers is ONLY economical. It was made to make a lot of $. The health problem from speed was only the fake reason for this huge change. It's not cyanide gas so it's not lethal, it sure can cause health troubles on a a daily use over a whole life periode if VOC are deeply breathed. They didn't care about TT players lungs health. A bottle of speed glue was very cheep and could last for a long time. Now a sheet of Tenergy costs 57 euros and lasts one month max for a pro. Even though pros don't pay their rubbers, Butterfly make it's dough from non-professional players like us that either want to use the same set ups as their favourite players or just use it because marketing did what was to be done to make this rubber successful.

Don't fool yourselves. Most pros boost their rubbers. Some say they don't (Gauzy, Ovtcharov, you can read the interviews on this site), it is probably true because for ex Dima uses a very fast tensor rubber on a very fast carbon blade so no need for boosting. Others do but won't say it publicly. But every player who uses a chinese type of rubber HAS to boost it in order to be able to compete against tensor rubbers.

Btw, with one or two layers it will have the same effect as 4 but will be less softer and less faster.
Next time I boost I will try 2/3 layers only but on a 39° sponge instead of a 38°. I found it to be too soft after boosting.
The CNT does probably what's on the prott site (the guy behind prott is a former provincial team member, or was, so he knows about that). Maybe they use even more layers... :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Hi JustAlt,

I think it is very naive from you to think that the CNT play with factory tuned rubbers! They Dianchi or Haifu boost their sheets every time thy need to replace one. There is NO mistery about that. There is even a video where you can see Wang Liqin and Ma Lin boosting their sheets with Haifu oil. Also I don't think you can believe what Xu Xin says in the Stiga videos. For exemple he definitely doesn't use Stiga's rubber last time I checked. Stiga use his notoriety to promote the brand because he was already, from personnal choice, using a Stiga Rosewood.

I was just referring to the question about the players waiting for 6 days after tuning their rubbers. They don't need to, if they don't boost the rubbers theirselves. And even their blades are personally made and customized for them, so why not the rubbers? Why would they need to boost themself if it's done for them by their requirements and they only use the rubber for a couple of days?

says how to start a thread?
what i think that the way CNT boost their rubbers and they way we boost our rubber is completely different. i am quite certain that CNT have their so called"secrets in boosting a rubber", y wont they want the factory to tune it for them when they themselves can boost their rubbers in a way no one else in the public does?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Finished Boosting my Hurricanes 3 :) Here are the pic's of the process
Start
P1030951.JPG
First layer
P1030952.JPG
Sencond layer
P1030954.JPG
Third layer
P1030955.JPG
Fourth layer
P1030956.JPG

This user has no status.
Hi guys, I've been reading this interesting thread and I have a long experience in boosting rubbers.
This Dian Chi Booster seems to work fine but unless you have racket control by mini-rae machine it isn't just worth buying it.
Dian Chi is really expensive and you can get the same, or even better boosting result with Paraffinum Liquidum (Baby oil too) and latex with much less money!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
How do you use latex for tuning?
Hi guys, I've been reading this interesting thread and I have a long experience in boosting rubbers.
This Dian Chi Booster seems to work fine but unless you have racket control by mini-rae machine it isn't just worth buying it.
Dian Chi is really expensive and you can get the same, or even better boosting result with Paraffinum Liquidum (Baby oil too) and latex with much less money!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Personnaly I don't give a crap about rules like that. The ITTF doesn't even have the respect for its own set of rules, it doesn't give a damn about sport traditions. They proved that when they changed the size of the ball so it could more easily be seen on a TV screen, shortened the sets to be able to feed us more commercials beetwen games and avoid dumb people getting bored with the three sets in 21 points system, and skipping to another channel. The changing from speed glue to tensor rubbers is ONLY economical. It was made to make a lot of $. The health problem from speed was only the fake reason for this huge change. It's not cyanide gas so it's not lethal, it sure can cause health troubles on a a daily use over a whole life periode if VOC are deeply breathed. They didn't care about TT players lungs health. A bottle of speed glue was very cheep and could last for a long time. Now a sheet of Tenergy costs 57 euros and lasts one month max for a pro. Even though pros don't pay their rubbers, Butterfly make it's dough from non-professional players like us that either want to use the same set ups as their favourite players or just use it because marketing did what was to be done to make this rubber successful.

Don't fool yourselves. Most pros boost their rubbers. Some say they don't (Gauzy, Ovtcharov, you can read the interviews on this site), it is probably true because for ex Dima uses a very fast tensor rubber on a very fast carbon blade so no need for boosting. Others do but won't say it publicly. But every player who uses a chinese type of rubber HAS to boost it in order to be able to compete against tensor rubbers.

Btw, with one or two layers it will have the same effect as 4 but will be less softer and less faster.
Next time I boost I will try 2/3 layers only but on a 39° sponge instead of a 38°. I found it to be too soft after boosting.
The CNT does probably what's on the prott site (the guy behind prott is a former provincial team member, or was, so he knows about that). Maybe they use even more layers... :p

I think you misunderstood my post and what I meant. I know all the pros boost. I have nothing against boosting. I think the rules are stupid. I think that the proof that it is not about health is that, safe materials that will boost a rubber with no health concerns are still against the rules.

But, a pro cannot advertise the specifics of how he is boosting because boosting is against the rules so if he was public about how he boosts rubbers, the pro would get in trouble. Even though ITTF does not seem to be doing anything about these rules a pro cannot go around showing everyone how they boost. Do you remember those videos of Persson and Waldner showing how to speed glue? And Persson sitting on his blade to make the rubber stick and talking about how he liked to do that. They couldn't do that without getting harassed and disqualified from tournaments these days. So I said:

Because I would like to know how they boost: how much they put on, how long they wait before they put the boosted rubber on their blades, what products they use specifically to boost, if certain pros use more boost than others. I would be particularly interested in what a player using DHS Hurricane or Skyline on the forehand and Tenergy 05 or 64 on the backhand does for each rubber.

So, again, it would be fun to really know what the Chinese team actually does. Because we all know they boost, but we do not know exactly how each different pro does it.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So.., nobody yet shortened the waiting to 3 days w/ Dianchi ? :rolleyes:

I'm just boosting a new sheet of Provincial Neo 39° 2.10.. I sure ain't gonna like waitin 6 whole days again..

I am interested to hear how it goes. I want to see what would happen if it was put on same day or next day. That is what I am really interested in.

This user has no status.
How do you use latex for tuning?

You can use latex instead of the much more expensive "water glue", which is nothing but watered down latex with little adhesive.
Latex remains soft and springy a long time and a few layers can make your set-up faster.

If you don't have mini-rae control just use baby oil or paraffinum liquidum to boost the rubber, then 4/5 layers of latex on the sponge and a couple on the blade to glue it.
With less then 20 euros (1L of oil= 4€ , 1L of Latex= 12€) you get a great booster

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

everything in table tennis is expensive in terms of cost . dian chi is a good booster because you dont have to peel of the water glue layer every time you boost and it lasts very long (3 weeks to 1 month) parrafin oil lasts about a week , so buying a booster like dian chi that you can keep it for a year isnt a bad economical choice imo...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
everything in table tennis is expensive in terms of cost . dian chi is a good booster because you dont have to peel of the water glue layer every time you boost and it lasts very long (3 weeks to 1 month) parrafin oil lasts about a week , so buying a booster like dian chi that you can keep it for a year isnt a bad economical choice imo...

Do you know if you can use Dian Chi booster with the old kind of glue or rubber cement that has VOCs in it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Do you know if you can use Dian Chi booster with the old kind of glue or rubber cement that has VOCs in it?

yes of course you can , i have boosted with dian chi , and then a thin layer of speed glue , results were awesome ! what a booster does actually is that it expands the sponge , the topsheet slowly stretches to match the sponge expansion and thus the ball bounces faster due to the tension of the topsheet

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
yes of course you can , i have boosted with dian chi , and then a thin layer of speed glue , results were awesome ! what a booster does actually is that it expands the sponge , the topsheet slowly stretches to match the sponge expansion and thus the ball bounces faster due to the tension of the topsheet

Cool. That is what I thought but, I am glad to hear from someone who has done it. I don't like water based glue. :)

This user has no status.

Paraffin oil effect lasts much longer then one week and you can use it without peeling off latex (glue) too.
Try baby oil, it works just great and top players would still use it but for mini-rae control.
Can you please tell me if Dian Chi has some sort or fruity smell? tnx

I'm graduating in chemical-materials engineering and I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited: