The 2010 Asian Games Warm-up...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
for the chinese women's national team will take place on 11/4 (this thursday) and 11/5 (friday) in Guangzhou, China.

Guangdong Sports will televise it starting @ 3:15 pm and 7:30 pm local time on thursday and 11:15 am and 7:25 pm local time on friday. CCTV5 will also show something (i'm not sure what it is) starting at 3:30 pm local time on thursday.

i'm not sure when the men's team will have their warmup. i'm also not sure where to get access to guangdong sports. it used to be one of the channels available via the SOPCAST player which is available at http://sopcast.org/.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Hey Guys,

for those who want longer versions of the videos Dan has put up, try going to this person's account. He puts a ton of different sports including swimming, badminton and whatnot, but most importantly he puts table tennis. And all his videos are 8-10 minutes long, which are nice

http://www.youtube.com/user/cctv7military

like this video for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u14twIhL-1g

Anyway, what are you thoughts on the tournament thus far? I know it kind of unfortunate that people like Boll can't participate since he is one of the few people who actually have a chance to beat Chinese players. But players like Jun Mizutani are getting up there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
To be honest, I am really not sure how much Kenta has improved.... I mean yes he did pretty well in this game, but frankly I think that's more because Ma Long's play style fits his playstyle better than a lot of other players. Kenta ultimately is a blocker, so he prefers someone who pushes the speed of their game, which Ma Long definitely does. I often actually think that he does so a little too much. He just tries to loop and attack everything, which against most players is super devastating, but against people who are decently able to block it back, the point is going too fast that even Ma Long doesn't always have the time to react accordingly. If anyone saw the recent match between Ma Long vs. that Chinese player who plays on the Japanese team, Chan Kizihro or something, I think you will notice that. Plus, Ma Long isn't always going to be that fast to play to the style he currently does. I would much rather him mix it up a little, instead of just convert every point to fast looping like he does. I think its that little portion of his game that is lacking that makes it why he still loses to Boll more often than Ma Lin and Wang Hao.

Anyway, getting back to the Kenta improvement issue, I think Kenta showed in the World championship match against Ma Lin that he is good at playing players who push the pace, its just that after that game, we saw him lose to a ton of "scrubs" in the European league, and thus called him a disappointment. It's more because those other people who beat him just didn't play the style that matched up the best with him, since god knows, most if not any people can push the game's pace as fast as Ma Long. Look at what happened in the last game of their match, Ma Long finally slowed it down a little, instead of just attacking everything and doing repetitive loop attacks to the wings, shots that Kenta could block back easily, he chose to play with more variety, and simply started hitting it where it was less expected, though slower. He absolutely crushed Kenta that last game because of it. So ultimately I don't think Kenta has really improved that much, because against other styles of play, he still is pretty weak. He really needs to vary up his game a lot more.