Today on the 21st June the number 1 seed of the 2013 Japan Open ITTF World Tour stumbled out of the Men's Singles first round to host nation's Masato Shiono. More unexpected wins took place throughout the first 2 rounds of the main draw.

chuangjapan20131.jpg

Chuang Chih Yuan - Photo by: ITTF Facebook Page

The man of the moment Masato Shiono a defensive player from Japan caused the upset against the no.1 seed from Chinese Taipei Chuang Chih Yuan. Chuang has struggled against defensive players however in Dortmund at the World Team Championships Chuang defeated Joo See Hyuk twice. After the match Chunag spoke in an ITTF interview:

"I arrived late to the Championships, only a day before the first round as I was representing my club in the Chiense Super League. I managed to study my opponent as he is a good defender and he players very well. I started poorly trailing by two sets to nil and I was not able to recover. I will now give my all in the doubles event."

Chuang Chih Yuan was beaten by Masato Shiono in 6 sets with scores 11-7, 11-8, 11-13, 11-7, 4-11, 11-7.

Elsewhere, other upsets took place in the draw, no.23 seed Alexey Liventsov was eliminated by Japan’s Hidetoshi Oya, Korea's Kang Dongsoo lost to Jonathan Groth in 6 sets.

Videos from the Main Draw

For all the latest news, results and videos from the Japan Open click here. To catch up on all the latest highlighted matches from the Japan Open visit our Media Library.

Like and tweet our articles to the World. Lets spread the word of Table Tennis.
Source: ITTF
Written by: Dan Ives
TableTennisDaily