TT Ball change after 2012 Olympics!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
I think it does not affect my TT practice in daily life. maybe after the new decision, the only change is my ball, which can not change my skill in TT.
I am just waiting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
problem is this new ball cannot be seen AT ALL as an upgrading!!! It is a FAILURE...

I cannot make any technical comment about this issue. But I believe, let's give this thing a chance. We don't know this one might be better than the ball that we are using at present. If the blades and rubbers are upgrading, why not with the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Great comment. However, those plastic balls are technically a joke! As much as rubbers,blades,and tables have improved over the years, those new balls are a failure (and I have given them a fair trial). They are good for table tennis sets for kids :)

Agree with you Carl on the part "fear of the unknown " . Also having been a student of Statistics and looking at the press release the new conformation parameters look like nothing more than a more precise description of the "tolerance limit" . Infact , just calling it 40 mm today does not mean that it does not have variability in size. Just that we are not able to make it out with our sense.If prices go high and the overall $/no of hits does not change or if it changes and makes up for the quality of the ball it is all good. However , the reason I put some dirt on the "motive" is because I love table tennis and believe it should be a more popular game than it is today. Normally a game becomes more democratic once you reduce the base price of the equipment else it will stay "elite" , the case in point being "tennis" ... ( think of less richer coutries than US ) . Soccer is the most popular because 1. it is cheap and 2. the quality of television coverage is good . I believe ITTF has a lot left to do in this regard yet , and has displayed a consistent lack of will .
Recent example , reflex media taking down highlight videos in youtube and the live transmission left a lot to be desired in terms of no. of camera and camera angles.
So my point is ... instead of focussing on the equipment , try to make the sport more "view-er friendly" , popular and rewarding for the players. The rest will follow suite .

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
They break way too easily and that part really does suck and shows they need to work on the quality of the production. Before the pros were playing with them I was definitely thinking this would be BAD in a big way for the game and the sport. In the first few tournaments with the plastic ball I saw a noticeable drop in the quality of pro level play. But, now, it seems like they are having better rallies and points and they are having more trouble ending the point.

Longer, better rallies are good for the game.

Defensive players who like to lob like Jun Mizutani are having more success and are able to play better because it is easier to return the power shots from other high ranked players.

Even though I do dislike how bad the quality and "durability" (if you can even call it that, more like breakability) of most of the Poly balls is, if it makes the quality of play in matches better and more enjoyable to watch then I am all for it.

I have been surprised to start seeing rallies, play and matches get more interesting. But it is actually starting to happen. So, perhaps there will be something good about this.

We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
They break way too easily and that part really does suck and shows they need to work on the quality of the production. Before the pros were playing with them I was definitely thinking this would be BAD in a big way for the game and the sport. In the first few tournaments with the plastic ball I saw a noticeable drop in the quality of pro level play. But, now, it seems like they are having better rallies and points and they are having more trouble ending the point.

Longer, better rallies are good for the game.

Defensive players who like to lob like Jun Mizutani are having more success and are able to play better because it is easier to return the power shots from other high ranked players.

Even though I do dislike how bad the quality and "durability" (if you can even call it that, more like breakability) of most of the Poly balls is, if it makes the quality of play in matches better and more enjoyable to watch then I am all for it.

I have been surprised to start seeing rallies, play and matches get more interesting. But it is actually starting to happen. So, perhaps there will be something good about this.

We shall see.

very good comment from you. When u watch the first matches with the plastic balls almost every player complained by the ref cause of the ball. But now its seems like they developed it to the Max, ok lets say not max but pretty high.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl