Video Footage Safe Thread

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks Tony., s

To improve footwork: Would you recommend shadow stroke training for improving footwork? Or drills?
When you say, use more body to hit, do you mean using more body rotation? How can I achieve that in a meaningful way? Would it be useful to train abs for that? I do have access to a gym.
My answer - if you can, start with extremely slow Falkenberg with a focus on the lower body. In fact, I can't find any videos now, but a lot of my practice of footwork was built off just shadowing Pivot and Cross consecutively and repeatedly per the recommendation of my internet coach for about 15-30 mins a day, and helped a lot. The problem of course is that my knees refused to cooperate, but I began to understand what using the whole body to rotate brings to a shot even when you don't feel you are swinging hard. The main thing for you is build the ability to move towards the ball while preparing the backswing and hitting the ball, and only the right use of the legs and core allow you to do this and get a quality ball - the upper arm usage on your forehand and backhand to get power is too slow to recover from to sequence multiple relaxed and powerful shots.

That's the logic though and my proposal, the precise solution for you, I leave to your practice with the experts and others may have better proposals.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks Tony.

To improve footwork: Would you recommend shadow stroke training for improving footwork? Or drills?
When you say, use more body to hit, do you mean using more body rotation? How can I achieve that in a meaningful way? Would it be useful to train abs for that? I do have access to a gym.
You are welcome Jeff.
Shadow is good exercise, but it is still better to be on the table and with a ball.
because some times shadow you would look all pretty, but when the ball is coming at you, it becomes ugly.

body - because right now you are standing grounded into the floor. I like to call it, your foot is rooted into the ground.
Once you get the base/feet/foundation moving, then you can start moving your weight (weight transfer). Then when you hit the ball, the energy from your base/feet/foundation can be generated into your hip/waist, bought out by your abdomen and then using a back swing, and contact the ball and recover.
This whole part is 1 move.

Think like a javelin thrower, you not going to just stand there, rooted, and throw out.
you would want to have pre, actual and post movement, and the whole process is 1 move.

here are some drills/movement/shadow you can try

For now, just move like that. Don't worry too much about the hitting of the ball.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
To my humble and friendly opinion.....

My guess is, you did not read the first post of this thread. Please read the first post. Your post has been deleted because this thread is different than all others. You are not allowed to comment on other people's video footage unless you are on the list contained in the first post of this thread. I will include the first post of the thread below. But feel free to go back and read the first post of the thread for the reason for this thread and the reason only certain people are allowed to comment on video footage in this thread.

Also, why are you commenting on a post from 2 years ago?

First post quoted below:

This thread is for forum members to post footage of yourself. This is different than a regular thread. I will moderate this thread heavily. Anyone can post footage. But the only people who can comment on the footage are people who have been specifically selected because they are players who are able to give useful commentary.

These are the players who can give commentary on video footage:

1) Baal
2) Der_Echte
3) NDH
4) Richie
5) Lula
6) NextLevel
7) Brs
8) Takkyu_wa_inochi
9) Tinykin
10) pingpongpaddy
11) Tony's Table Tennis
12) Victor Moraga
13) cytivrat
14) ander999

Anyone can post footage. However, if anyone not on the list above tries to post commentary on footage, that commentary will be deleted. If someone presents commentary to me via PM for posting, and I deem it okay to post, I may make exceptions to this every so often. I also am reserving the right to edit the list and add if I decide someone is capable of making good, insightful commentary.

Hopefully, this will make it so people feel comfortable posting footage of themselves for people on the forum to see and get to know each other without feeling like the commentary that happens after posting footage is uncalled for. Also, if you wanted to post footage but would prefer nobody comments on the footage you present, you can ask that. I will help make that happen as well.

Again, comments from people who are not on the list above will get deleted.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My guess is, you did not read the first post of this thread. Please read the first post. Your post has been deleted because this thread is different than all others. You are not allowed to comment on other people's video footage unless you are on the list contained in the first post of this thread. I will include the first post of the thread below. But feel free to go back and read the first post of the thread for the reason for this thread and the reason only certain people are allowed to comment on video footage in this thread.

Also, why are you commenting on a post from 2 years ago?

First post quoted below:

Being honest, since he responded to post #2 and did not seem to read post #1, I am inclined to think that TTBuddy may be a bot and I have been trying to test that theory in another thread. :)

I am not in a rush, but if he disappears, now you may know why. :)

• Haha
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Being honest, since he responded to post #2 and did not seem to read post #1, I am inclined to think that TTBuddy may be a bot and I have been trying to test that theory in another thread. :)

I am not in a rush, but if he disappears, now you may know why. :)
He is either a bot or a religious advertiser of his return board product. If he is a bot, it is a decent design for sure, I think he might also have one at mytt. Be sure to share your conclusions to inform mytt moderation :D.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Videos of me playing in one of local league tournaments. I have made some notes on areas to improve, but would be helpful if you could throw some pointers?

(the guy present in both videos is me ;)
Your game is very advanced, I won't have much insight as you are probably a better player than I am.

The things I would recommend may not even apply to your game. The biggest one I would try to add is a spin-orientation in addition to a speed orientation. You seem to me to be a physically strong guy but you also seem to be taking the ball early all the time which is going to limit the power you can bring to the ball. Your pace of play is fast once it gets going but I don't feel you varied the ball quality. It's almost like you take the ball where you are, there is no attempt to do anything differently or even sometimes take it a bit later so you can test whether the change in timing bothers your opponents. Top level coaches say this is the way to go, so please ignore me, at my lower level, I try to sometimes do thing to see whether the opponent doesn't like slower, spinnier balls. And when I play a lot like you, it is because my legs feel bad on that day so I am always trying to redirect. But I feel you should also use your low stance to sometimes play the third ball on backspin from below the table or to drive low and powerful topspins through the table.

On third ball kills of loose balls, you seem consistent and powerful, but I would also recommend you learn the windmill forehand approach. Also unless you are consistently hitting the middle or the elbow, take some risk with some placements closer to the lines. But I think some of these will be easier to implement if you sometimes practice taking the ball a bit later or playing a bit further back occasionally so you can play with a bit more quality on the ball.

Again you and your opponents played good matches.

Reactions: TischTenniser
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
He is either a bot or a religious advertiser of his return board product. If he is a bot, it is a decent design for sure, I think he might also have one at mytt. Be sure to share your conclusions to inform mytt moderation :D.

Yeah. I think it is a bot. I just didn't want to rush to the conclusion since I had no need to. Him not answering posts were I say I think he is a bot in two threads kind of pushes things more in that direction.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Your game is very advanced, I won't have much insight as you are probably a better player than I am.

The things I would recommend may not even apply to your game. The biggest one I would try to add is a spin-orientation in addition to a speed orientation. You seem to me to be a physically strong guy but you also seem to be taking the ball early all the time which is going to limit the power you can bring to the ball. Your pace of play is fast once it gets going but I don't feel you varied the ball quality. It's almost like you take the ball where you are, there is no attempt to do anything differently or even sometimes take it a bit later so you can test whether the change in timing bothers your opponents. Top level coaches say this is the way to go, so please ignore me, at my lower level, I try to sometimes do thing to see whether the opponent doesn't like slower, spinnier balls. And when I play a lot like you, it is because my legs feel bad on that day so I am always trying to redirect. But I feel you should also use your low stance to sometimes play the third ball on backspin from below the table or to drive low and powerful topspins through the table.

On third ball kills of loose balls, you seem consistent and powerful, but I would also recommend you learn the windmill forehand approach. Also unless you are consistently hitting the middle or the elbow, take some risk with some placements closer to the lines. But I think some of these will be easier to implement if you sometimes practice taking the ball a bit later or playing a bit further back occasionally so you can play with a bit more quality on the ball.

Again you and your opponents played good matches.
Thank you for your time and feedback.

You are absolutely right on the taking the ball early. I have realized this as well and try to keep this in mind. But those thoughts get lost in tournaments :D

IMHO, players at professional / highly skilled level get the above perfectly right. As one goes higher, timing and ball placements becomes crucial , IMO.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thank you for your time and feedback.

You are absolutely right on the taking the ball early. I have realized this as well and try to keep this in mind. But those thoughts get lost in tournaments :D

IMHO, players at professional / highly skilled level get the above perfectly right. As one goes higher, timing and ball placements becomes crucial , IMO.
It's usually as simple as varying playing distance depending on the results you are getting against the opponent. If you are doing really well, holding the table is not a problem. But if the opponent is sometimes faste than you, giving yourself a bit more time by taking a step back and putting much more on the ball with powerful swings and precise placement can make a difference. Not saying one should play 10 ft off the table but that sometimes one should find a playing distance 2 to 3 ft back where more power can be introduced if taking the ball early isn't winning the points consistently.

Reactions: TischTenniser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
It's usually as simple as varying playing distance depending on the results you are getting against the opponent. If you are doing really well, holding the table is not a problem. But if the opponent is sometimes faste than you, giving yourself a bit more time by taking a step back and putting much more on the ball with powerful swings and precise placement can make a difference. Not saying one should play 10 ft off the table but that sometimes one should find a playing distance 2 to 3 ft back where more power can be introduced if taking the ball early isn't winning the points consistently.
For me personally, playing a couple of steps back gives a more relaxed feeling. This technique i am yet to implement in matches, but otherwise in training I do have felt this.

As you have mentioned, it depends on what point of time during the game you take a step back. I am referring in the context when playing with advanced players.

When you serve, its a bit easier as you set the pace initially, but challenging otherwise.

I plan to incorporate these drills in my training with few modifications:

This user has no status.
So if I dare say here is what I see:

(+) you are always well balanced so there is a lot of control in your game. I don’t often see you lose your balance or play a ball without being solidly in position

(++) serve looks low, not slow , and rather spinny. I never saw your opponents attack it easily. YG was very effective

(+) opening loop is overall safe especially on the BH side

(-) OTOH while often it looks like it’s your point you miss the 2nd or 3rd attack.

(-) you are very stable but I feel like you want to prioritize this and don’t risk moving too much. As such there are little footsteps missing.

(-) also there are many pushes or not so difficult balls coming that i think you could attack if you were putting the effort to move more and you don’t try.

(-) I didn’t like your FH push . Timing seemed a bit off and/or not quick enough on your ball.

Both of your opponents didn’t give you trouble in serve/receive so the vids show your stability in rally and blocking id like to see a match where your short game is more being tested and against a player who throws more long fast backspin pushes to you.

This user has no status.

Any comments on how I could improve my stroke mechanics? I mainly was focusing on generating quite a bit of spin and developing kind of a safe backhand against backspin. At the end I have copied some of the shots I thought were the best looking, the timestamp is in the description. Thank you for any input :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

Any comments on how I could improve my stroke mechanics? I mainly was focusing on generating quite a bit of spin and developing kind of a safe backhand against backspin. At the end I have copied some of the shots I thought were the best looking, the timestamp is in the description. Thank you for any input :)
Looks pretty good to me. You're bending down to the ball, which is good. I think you can bend lower.

You're acceleration and whip through the ball looks good to me.

Can't see your racket head angle, but it looks somewhat horizontal to me. Try to get more vertical at the start of your bh loop.

Other than that, I feel your "stroke" is not the problem. You are just not consistent yet because you don't have the timing and feel for this stroke yet. You need to hit thousands of this shot before you get really comfortable.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Looks pretty good to me. You're bending down to the ball, which is good. I think you can bend lower.

You're acceleration and whip through the ball looks good to me.

Can't see your racket head angle, but it looks somewhat horizontal to me. Try to get more vertical at the start of your bh loop.

Other than that, I feel your "stroke" is not the problem. You are just not consistent yet because you don't have the timing and feel for this stroke yet. You need to hit thousands of this shot before you get really comfortable.

The comment is fine so I will leave it. But you do remember how this thread works, right?

Do you want to be added to the list? If the comments are constructive like the one above, it would be fine for you to be on the list. I also have a feeling they will be since you are a player who has posted plenty of footage.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

your body balance is way to high up, so high up that you can bounce backwards on your lift of arm for the shot.
anchor those weights down.

open your stance more, when ball is moving more to back hand side, step out towards it, don't just tilt your body.
get your weight down and hit over the ball, don't let the ball push your weight upwards.
Your stroke can be smaller and focus on the contact point - focus on the triangle and anything out of it, is a waste of energy and time.

• Love
Reactions: Sankhma
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
The comment is fine so I will leave it. But you do remember how this thread works, right?

Do you want to be added to the list? If the comments are constructive like the one above, it would be fine for you to be on the list. I also have a feeling they will be since you are a player who has posted plenty of footage.
I dont know the thread rules or list.