Viscaria FL (ZJK Blade)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Hey guys,

I want to buy a new blade the next days.
Can anyone tell me something about the Viscaria FL? Or can anybody give me a little review about this blade?
Zhang Jike plays with this blade and it looks really powerful.
It would be great if you can tell me a bit about it. :)

Viscaria FL Photo
sam3064bfileminimizer.jpg
2010051453034549.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
Come on, Giangt, don't let us in the dark here... Give us a review to drewl upon...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey guys! Sorry for not keeping you updated... initially my first impressions are very good about the Viscaria, but I want to have a training session more before writing a small review of it :) Stay tuned guys!!! :)

:) We will. It is smart to wait until you are really able to feel what the blade can do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Alright guys so here goes! :)

First impressions while unpacking my new Viscaria blade, were that it had a high end finish as Butterfly blades always have. The Koto outer ply has a rough surface sealed with a thin layer. I was told that the blade still was hot when they received it at q-sports.asia, so it was send right after it popped out of production. I have been playing 3 times since I got it and here are my thoughts...

I've decided that I would put a black sheet Hurricane 3 BS 2.15mm on FH and a red Tenergy 05 Max on BH, because those rubbers were my previous setup. While driving with the blade I could feel this setup was fast. i didn't have to put much force in to produce speed. Hitting the ball hard the H3 BS and Viscaria had a crispy sound that most of us like to hear. Playing BH drive I didn't have to move my underarm a lot to produce speed and instead I could focus on using my wrist to make topspin balls.

Looping: FH looping with the Viscaria FL was like a dream. Everything I had expected of the blade was real. So powerful with spin and fast! Because of the Aryate-Carbon layer I did't have to put so much bodyweight into the ball, like I was used to. Good feeling, no vibrations (because of the Arylate-Carbon layer), very good control and a large sweet spot. Instead I could use my underarm more to produce spin making my deadly as! :) BH looping with the T05 were a bit more difficult than I been used to because the of the decrease of dwell time, but after I got a hang of it BH topspins were quite decent than I've been used to.

Blocking: Wow is all I can say! This blade is a blocking machine!!! Because of the large sweet spot and good control I could do almost everything with the ball. Now I understand how ZJK can do so offensive blocks in his game.

Short game: With the H3 in FH it was that difficult to play short because of the tacky surface, but it is a bit difficult with the T05 on BH maybe max isn't preferable on the Viscaria.

This blade isn't for beginners or intermediate players. I would recommend this blade to players that have play for some years and are advanced or pro's.
I you like the feeling and playing characteristics of a composite blade you should definitely get one of these :)

I switched to Tenergy 64 BH meanwhile because I had a bit trouble in my opening game and this have helped me a lot!! Now it is a ZJK copy ;) haha

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Cheers mate! It was indeed worth waiting for. Haven't played so well with another blade. Just got hold on a Butterfly ZJK blade and will do a comparison as soon as possible :)

That comparison will be fun to hear. I have felt the ZJK blade and it feels pretty similar to the Viscaria, but the one I felt was faster and lighter than my Viscaria. In the end, if you keep playing, the short game will come around. That blade has a lot of dwell time for a blade that fast. It is a very good blade.

The balsa core feels interesting with the Koto top ply and the Arylate/Carbon layer that gives you that dwell time, crisp feeling and pop so the ball goes in spite of good dwell time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
P1040143.jpg
P1040144.jpg

A quick comparison of the Viscaria FL and Zhang Jike blades.

P1040147.jpg

(LS: Viscaria FL and RS: Zhang Jike)

Comparing physical properties: Without a caliper it isn't difficult to see the difference between the plies of the blades. The balsa core in the ZJK blade is thinner and the two outer plies are thicker compared to the Viscaria. Furthermore, the handles aren't the same on these two blades. Viscaria has a bit smaller handle than the ZJK blade.

P1040145.jpg

The wings on the ZJK is higher than on the Vicaria making it difficult to have a tight grip around the if you have a small hand. I prefer the Viscaria.

Playing characteristics: In my opinnion the playing characteristics of the blades are pretty similar. The ZJK is a bit faster than the Viscaria and has a harder feel. I would rate it medium on the ZJK and soft on the Viscaria. They don't have any vibrations when hitting the ball, thanks to the Arylate-Carbon layer. As Carl pointed these two blades have good dwell time in aspect they're fast composite blades making it a bit easier in the opening game, but you still have to have your technique in order.