Viscaria FL (ZJK Blade)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
some comments on Viscaria and its many cousins

I've used Viscaria for many years and agree with most of the comments. It is a great blade, fast, huge sweet spot, soft feel, great for spinning. I would personally prefer a slightly larger handle, but most people will like this blade. Some Viscarias can be a bit on the heavy side, and you will be hard pressed to find one less than 88 g. Compared to the newer Zhang Jike blade, I was surprised at the differences, since I expected the ZJK to be nothing more than a repackaged version. Not so. ZJK blade as noted has different shaped wings, the standard Butterfly flared handle, and is a little harder in feel (consistently with several different copies of the ZJK blade). It is also a bit faster and quite a bit lighter. Overall, the Viscaria has a better feel, although that could also be from greater familiarity. I think its weight balance is better. For sure, though, they are different.

Somebody above mentioned that the Taksim is a penhold version of Viscaria. Actually, if you compare them side to side, they are quite different. Both blades have arylate/carbon, both are soft, and the handles are made of similar materials. However, the middle ply of Taksim is quite a bit thicker, the Taksim is stiffer and maybe a bit faster. I don't think Butterfly has a shakehand blade that was ever quite like Taksim, although in some respects the old Moonbeam was similar (except had arylate instead of carbon-arylate).

I think the TB-ALC is much more similar to Viscaria in terms of how it plays than ZJK. TBS maybe even more so because handle shape is more similar.

This user has no status.
Viscaria is a good blade. Decently fast. Good feeling. Decent control. Loops nicely. At least the one I have does. :)
Carl
I am planning to buy a new blade. But I dont know which one to buy between the viscaria and the alc.
Could you tell me why would I go for one or the other?Thanks