what type of backhand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Dear All
can anyone explain this you tube video recording,
what backhand is this?

Backhand countertopspin. Basically, when your opponent plays a heavy topspin opener and you want to take the ball early and with speed and spin to put pressure on them.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Dear All
can anyone explain this you tube video recording,
what backhand is this?

If you go to the thread Zeio posted, there is some translation.

And if you read the thread, NextLevel notes that if you use closed caption and select in the settings "auto-generate translation" and whatever language you choose (for example: English), it will give you a translation that is acceptable.....not great....but you can understand it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BH duraibo ( バックハンドドライブ )
Google Translate gives a translation of this as Backhand Drive. But to me, it looks like they are spinning the ball with a very compact stroke. So, I am not sure backhand drive sums this up so well even if they use the term.

But those are wildly good backhands with a very compact stroke and I am sure both can make a variety of contacts without substantially changing the stroke but changing the spin on the ball (more....less....more side....more top/less side....hook, fade) and the trajectory.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Google Translate gives a translation of this as Backhand Drive. But to me, it looks like they are spinning the ball with a very compact stroke. So, I am not sure backhand drive sums this up so well even if they use the term.

But those are wildly good backhands with a very compact stroke and I am sure both can make a variety of contacts without substantially changing the stroke but changing the spin on the ball (more....less....more side....more top/less side....hook, fade) and the trajectory.
反 手 前 衝 = Backhand drive. The movement is forward going, there is spin involved due to wrist flicking motion like throwing a frisbee.

挑 球 / Tiao qiu = the google translate as pick the ball but it is such a wrong translation. What I want to mean is slow and spinny topspin aka open-ups. The wrist is rotating upwards as oppose to forward in a drive.

To my understanding the Harimoto siblings are still doing 反 手 前 衝 = Backhand drive as per my above understanding and definition. They are not doing 挑 球 / Tiao qiu.

OK, this is mainly for technical reference and the also what my club-mates uses in our local lingo. Just some linguistic sharing. That's all folks.

This Youtuber shows visually what I meant by 挑 球 / Tiao qiu.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Agreed. I think it will become something special when used against a strong backspin push or backspin serve.
Yes when used against strong backspin push or backspin serve, then the wrist has trouble going forward and then it becomes a flip really.

I think table tennis is simple and is hard, It is simple in that everything is the variation of the same strokes. Once you get the strokes down, you can pretty much perform anything you want to do. For example, the Harimoto siblings perform a backhand punch with top spin on it. Someone else can do a backhand punch flat and straight. Another person can do a backhand punch with slight back spin on it (which is basically what short pips do anyway). So all variation of the same thing.

Now banana flip and strawberry flip, I would consider those two things to be recent renovation in terms of strokes.

Outside of the that, the ball got bigger and become plastic so overall less spin. Instead of speed glue, factories from ESN and Butterfly just pre-tune the sponges before shipping those sponges out. Not much difference there!

Reactions: lodro