What's wrong with coach Ma Lin ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Chen Meng beaten by Bernie last year at the Macao Champions then Elisabeta Samara yesterday at the Grand Smash.

Wang Manyu beaten by Jianan Yuan at the Macao Champions, the WTT's HQ !

Those 3 defeats were in the decider, the 2nd and 3rd world best players beaten by womens ranked in the top 20-25 ranks; I mean... they've not been defeated by the japanese team. And those were not lower ranking tournaments, it's at the top of the list in the WTT ranking regulations !

The Wang Manyu defeat was VS a supposed to be young and inexperimented coach. Chen Meng had a face that was showing A LOT of her desperation in the decider time out.

Plus: all those defeats were versus women aged around 30, 32.6 years old on average, chinese women rarely plays that long in the CNT, they are put to retirement before ! the thing is: women in general get mentally stronger in their 30+, as they're also more experienced, Elisabeta Samara for instance has played for Romania, the best women's team in Europe with Germany, in the 2008, 2012, 2016 and 2020 Olympics !

Is Ma Lin becoming a burden for the CNT ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Chen Meng beaten by Bernie last year at the Macao Champions then Elisabeta Samara yesterday at the Grand Smash.

Wang Manyu beaten by Jianan Yuan at the Macao Champions, the WTT's HQ !

Those 3 defeats were in the decider, the 2nd and 3rd world best players beaten by womens ranked in the top 20-25 ranks; I mean... they've not been defeated by the japanese team. And those were not lower ranking tournaments, it's at the top of the list in the WTT ranking regulations !

The Wang Manyu defeat was VS a supposed to be young and inexperimented coach. Chen Meng had a face that was showing A LOT of her desperation in the decider time out.

Plus: all those defeats were versus women aged around 30, 32.6 years old on average, chinese women rarely plays that long in the CNT, they are put to retirement before ! the thing is: women in general get mentally stronger in their 30+, as they're also more experienced, Elisabeta Samara for instance has played for Romania, the best women's team in Europe with Germany, in the 2008, 2012, 2016 and 2020 Olympics !

Is Ma Lin becoming a burden for the CNT ?
Samara had a wicked serve.

Reactions: Dr Evil
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Samara had a wicked serve.
Elisabeta Samara also said in the after match interview that she couldn't handle Chen Meng's short receives, since the P ball era it's even easier to return supposed to be "wicked serves", I mean... Chen Meng's the reigning Olympic Champion, has been World Cup winner, already been ranked n°1, facing someone that has a wicked serve at that point is not a valid excuse. So what will be the excuse for the defeat vs bernie ? the excuse for Wang Manyu's defeat vs Jianan Yuan ?

There's clearly a wrong management of emotions here.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
This article is about biological aspects of the reproductive cycle in humans. For information specific to monthly periods, see menstruation and menstruation (mammal).

Poor, poor Cheng Meng.
Female athletes, citizens of PRC, have got to always retain competitive activities at any day, all the day. As an opposing example, some islamic countries, mainly in Asia , have enacted "menstrual leave" to provide women with either paid or unpaid leave of absence from their employment while they are menstruating. Countries of this policy include Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia, and South Korea. The practice is controversial due to concerns that it sustaines the perception of women as weak, inefficient workers, as well as concerns that it is unfair to male popules and that it breeds gender stereotypes and the medicalization of menstruation.

We feel deep compassion for Cheng Men. 😪😞
Or maybe she is a little bit depressed or has love-problems but she sure was not her dynamic self and one could see her self-doubts.

All this has nothing to do with MaLing who, to be frank, did not exactly look like he had the best of times.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Ma Lin is too intense IMO, he may be a good technical coach but I don't think he helps emotionally. Someone more even tempered like WH is probably better, and in the future I think ML might make a good coach if he's able to articulate his thoughts well.
The CNT can thank Ma Long for his coaching in the semi of the WTTTC in the decider match. That man is just pure gold, would really love to see him replace LGY, he has more of a global view of international TT than his boss.

Reactions: dingyibvs
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Well what do you know, another Ma Lin coached game and another upset loss by a CNT member.
Ok I was wondering who was coaching Chen Xingtong... and again, loosing VS a euro woman aged 39 !

Jianan Yuan has been defeated today by a CNT member though, after winning Fan Siqi, but it says a lot about :
1- you can be educated in TT in China and still be be bankable after 30
2- Europe definitely offers more opportunities for players who still want to compete at the highest level after 30, and specially for chinese pros. Like Xia Lan Ni...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Sun is solid, Wang Manyu has already proven to be beatable in a decider by a 35+ years old girl ranked in the 20 zone... remember... Jianan Yuan with Alexis Lebrun coaching her...
it was the first time though and very unusual. maybe she had a bad day. Yuan was very good too

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
it was the first time though and very unusual. maybe she had a bad day. Yuan was very good too
There are too much top CNT girls having too much bad days since 1 year, the only one that has not been defeated by any top 10/top 20/top30 women is Sun.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Not just Ma Lin, but generally speaking, i find that all CNT coaches seem to be angry and yell to their players when they are in a bad situation. i understand you want to shake up your player and reignite their instincts, but that can also undermine their confidence or give them extra stress.

I never see that we other country coaches.

and JNT women are often smiling when playing. i almost never see the CNT players smile. ok thats maybe their way of doing business. It's been working for them after all. But if it's not working anymore, perhaps its better to change, right ?

Reactions: Shifu
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Not just Ma Lin, but generally speaking, i find that all CNT coaches seem to be angry and yell to their players when they are in a bad situation. i understand you want to shake up your player and reignite their instincts, but that can also undermine their confidence or give them extra stress.

I never see that we other country coaches.

and JNT women are often smiling when playing. i almost never see the CNT players smile. ok thats maybe their way of doing business. It's been working for them after all. But if it's not working anymore, perhaps its better to change, right ?
Not all yell, WH doesn't. In fact only Ma Lin seems really tense, everyone else seems rather calm. Besides, all 4 semifinalists are Chinese, so IDK if I'd say it's not working.