Which is better value for money Tenergy 05 or Dignics 05?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
A
T05 generates more spin at lower impacts, but D05 is much better behaved on passive shots because of this and generates more spin at higher impacts. I am trying out D05 right now but it will be a while before I can decide whether I can use it or whether I should go back to Rakza Z.
As for me, I can strike off Dignics from my list of wants. With this I can also strike off any rubber above 47 degree hardness ( ESN scale ), its 45 on BH & FH or 47 on FH for me.

I will now be a little happy camper and stick with tensor / spring-sponge at 45 - 47 level; just the right condition for amateur with lazy footwork.

And folks! Yes! There is a saviour in town, you don't need to use LOL pips / antis when you have poor footwork when Tensor / Spring-Sponge is available. No more get ridiculed by serious TT players, not when you use real TT rubber like Tenergy.

• Haha
Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
A

As for me, I can strike off Dignics from my list of wants. With this I can also strike off any rubber above 47 degree hardness ( ESN scale ), its 45 on BH & FH or 47 on FH for me.

I will now be a little happy camper and stick with tensor / spring-sponge at 45 - 47 level; just the right condition for amateur with lazy footwork.

And folks! Yes! There is a saviour in town, you don't need to use LOL pips / antis when you have poor footwork when Tensor / Spring-Sponge is available. No more get ridiculed by serious TT players, not when you use real TT rubber like Tenergy.
It depends for sure, I would say people who prefer the medium sponge stuff are more into rallying and people who prefer the harder stuff are more into powerful attacking. With the new ball, T05 just doesn't have the same venom especially on the forehand. But for someone who wants to keep relooping with consistent spin, it is a great option.

Reactions: Gozo Aruna

NDH

says Spin to win!
One doesn't need to play at a high level or any level. Are you saying that someone like Steven Hawking couldn't figure out basic physics? You are spreading myths and showing your ignorance of the physics of TT. You can't explain how a paddle "Knows" what kind of impact the ball is making. You can't explain how a spinny rubber has a shallower arc given the same speed. Do you even know the formulas for this? I do. When you make it to a international hall of fame in some technical field or make a $1M at doing it then you might know enough to have a debate with me but until then you should keep your myths to yourself.

Now let hear your explanations. Does anybody want to back up NDH?
I know you want to believe that knowledge in physics somehow equals the same understanding and ability as a good player who has experience and skill……. But it doesn’t.

I’m not going to get into one of your back and forth arguments, because there’s no need.

Any forum member with half a brain cell can work out that I’m talking from experience and you are talking from theory.

Your theory might be solid from a physics point of view, but you simply don’t have the experience or ability to discuss these issues with any authority at all.

Feel free to continue down your path, no one will stop you and everyone will have a good chuckle at your posts.

Have a great Christmas when it arrives!

One doesn't need to play at a high level or any level. Are you saying that someone like Steven Hawking couldn't figure out basic physics? You are spreading myths and showing your ignorance of the physics of TT. You can't explain how a paddle "Knows" what kind of impact the ball is making. You can't explain how a spinny rubber has a shallower arc given the same speed. Do you even know the formulas for this? I do. When you make it to a international hall of fame in some technical field or make a $1M at doing it then you might know enough to have a debate with me but until then you should keep your myths to yourself.

Now let hear your explanations. Does anybody want to back up NDH?
When a rubber has higher spin and lower arc, it means that you need to hit harder to get to that high spin… Of course a ball with higher speed will have flatter trajectory given the same spin…

That it has access to higher spin doesn’t necessarily means it comes easy…

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
While I've only played through one sheet of D05, I've been through a bunch of T05 in my day and am surprised to hear the opinion that they have similar durability. To me D05 has 50% more or so. Could just be in my head, but it seems to keep its grip much much longer than tenergy does. So to me, this is really the thing that actually makes it worth buying - it's expensive up front but is one of the longest lasting rubbers I've tried which means better value in my book. Now if only I actually enjoyed it a little more, I would probably actually play it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
While I've only played through one sheet of D05, I've been through a bunch of T05 in my day and am surprised to hear the opinion that they have similar durability. To me D05 has 50% more or so. Could just be in my head, but it seems to keep its grip much much longer than tenergy does. So to me, this is really the thing that actually makes it worth buying - it's expensive up front but is one of the longest lasting rubbers I've tried which means better value in my book. Now if only I actually enjoyed it a little more, I would probably actually play it.
I think this is closer to the truth for most players and is why Butterfly raised the price.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
A

The thing is that your skill level and tastes evolve as you compete and improve. So in 5 years time, the rubber you find unusable today is what you might need to improve.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Someone above mentioned that T05 has more spin on low impact shots and to me it only refers to the low impact top spin shots, but for pushes and serves D05 excels and it is spinnier in high impact/speed shots. It is way easier to smash and block and last but not least it's arc is lower, being a big advantage for my type of a top spin, which has an inherited high flight trajectory.

This user has no status.
+1 I have a sheet that is 2 yrs old and I can still spin the crap out of the ball with it, unlike many other rubbers....

That is what people say when they can't back up their statements.

I have both.

Physics is reality. You believe in myths and hear say,

I am discussing it now. It is you that doesn't have the ability to discuss this topic. Also, no one took my offer to explain your point of view. They either can't or know that it is wrong.

No one is laughing except may some that know better are laughing at you.
You and all of those that like your posts believe in myths. You haven't answered my simple questions. No one has. NO ONE! No one will back you up. I am waiting!!!
I answered as simple as possible how one can have higher spin potential and also a lower trajectory. This was your initial gripe.

Cheers
L-zr

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Ugh, another thread getting ruined.

All right. Here is the deal. Butterfly actually states that D05/D80/D64 have slightly higher and longer arcs than T05/T80/T64, respectively, but in actual play, many people say otherwise.

An article by Guoqiuhui on D05 and T05 and that the former produces a lower and thrusting arc when hit hard
https://www.sohu.com/a/375380905_555700

3 different persons on PTT saying that D05 has a lower arc than T05 on fast loops
https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/tabletennis/M.1568973482.A.785.html
https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/tabletennis/M.1562508429.A.DCF.html
https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/tabletennis/M.1554745445.A.C32.html

A Tieba comment saying that D05 produces a lower arc but higher quality shot than T05
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8225176299?pid=146629596449&cid=146631263593#146631263593

A rare post that is actually in agreement with what Butterfly states.
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7742242233

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ugh, another thread getting ruined.

All right. Here is the deal. Butterfly actually states that D05/D80/D64 have slightly higher and longer arcs than T05/T80/T64, respectively, but in actual play, many people say otherwise.

An article by Guoqiuhui on D05 and T05 and that the former produces a lower and thrusting arc when hit hard
https://www.sohu.com/a/375380905_555700

3 different persons on PTT saying that D05 has a lower arc than T05 on fast loops
https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/tabletennis/M.1568973482.A.785.html
https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/tabletennis/M.1562508429.A.DCF.html
https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/tabletennis/M.1554745445.A.C32.html

A Tieba comment saying that D05 produces a lower arc but higher quality shot than T05
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8225176299?pid=146629596449&cid=146631263593#146631263593

A rare post that is actually in agreement with what Butterfly states.
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7742242233
in practice, people who are not pros rarely push a rubber to its max and Dignics has a harder to access spin potential, but a higher one as well. People who play in the playing zone of professionals or closer to it will probably experience the Butterfly claims. But most mortals will not get there and the ball will ln just play the same but feel a bit safer.

In any case, it is a complete waste of time to argue that someone who is experiencing more spin on his shots based on the comments of his playing partners and his own match/point results is wrong just because he isn't speaking like a physicist. We have discussed such category errors in the past but sadly they will never die as long as trolls like to sound smart .

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I think it depends how much you can make (profit) from the sale.

I can’t imagine it would be THAT much surely? So if it were me, I’d use it as an opportunity to try D05 the next time you change rubbers.

I’m 50/50 on if I think you’ll like it.

For most people I’ve played with, it’s not “love at first hit”. It’s definitely a rubber that you appreciate the more you use it - especially in match play.

I don’t think ANYTHING beats the feeling of a fresh sheet of T05 - You feel like prime Ma Long!

Regarding speed/power. T05 gives you EASIER access to the speed because the catapult effect is stronger. So you don’t need to play a firm shot for it to be fast.

You need to give D05 a little more (not much; and no where near as much as D09C), but this might put some people off, especially newer players still developing their all around attacking game.

Although for the record…. I think D05 would be better for virtually everyone. Pros and amateurs alike.

I just don’t see an area where T05 is better other than price!
Hi NDH,

I took the D05 for a real play yesterday. I fare poorly. The ball just would not listen to me & had decided instead to move here and there as though it has a mind of its own. I reckon, could it be because I am off-form. To double check, I went back to my regular blade immediately and voila, my stroke is back to normal. D05 is just not for me. I prefer softer rubber: T05 seems the most ideal. T05 seems to give that warm fuzzy feeling on one's stroke that is missing in D05, at least for me though.

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hi NDH,

I took the D05 for a real play yesterday. I fare poorly. The ball just would not listen to me & had decided instead to move here and there as though it has a mind of its own. I reckon, could it be because I am off-form. To double check, I went back to my regular blade immediately and voila, my stroke is back to normal. D05 is just not for me. I prefer softer rubber: T05 seems the most ideal. T05 seems to give that warm fuzzy feeling on one's stroke that is missing in D05, at least for me though.
That's fair, at least you've tried it.

Like most "top end" rubbers, D05 works best when you can get a fast powerful swing on the ball.

T05 is unmatched when it comes to half swings, 80% shots and out of position shots - It just has that massive catapult effect which gives you a really good quality (and fast) shot, even when everything else isn't ideal.

Doing the same with D05 won't give you the same results (as you've seen), and then doing the same again with D09C will give you even worse results!

The downside to T05 for most people is going to be the lack of control, touch and feeling. You like to live on the edge and lust after those YouTube worthy finishes...... But those shots are very much in the minority.

When I first knocked with D09C, it felt like a rubber you'd get from a supermarket - Compared with 6 years of playing with T05, it was HORRIBLE!

2 years later and I'd not change it for the world - In matchplay, it's just so much better if you can take advantage of it.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
That's fair, at least you've tried it.

Like most "top end" rubbers, D05 works best when you can get a fast powerful swing on the ball.

T05 is unmatched when it comes to half swings, 80% shots and out of position shots - It just has that massive catapult effect which gives you a really good quality (and fast) shot, even when everything else isn't ideal.

Doing the same with D05 won't give you the same results (as you've seen), and then doing the same again with D09C will give you even worse results!

The downside to T05 for most people is going to be the lack of control, touch and feeling. You like to live on the edge and lust after those YouTube worthy finishes...... But those shots are very much in the minority.

When I first knocked with D09C, it felt like a rubber you'd get from a supermarket - Compared with 6 years of playing with T05, it was HORRIBLE!

2 years later and I'd not change it for the world - In matchplay, it's just so much better if you can take advantage of it.
To each his own and I have always enjoyed our wee TT tete-a-tete.

Reactions: NDH
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If you can handle the hard sponge, t05 can’t compete with d05. More spin, more grip, better for counter.
If you can’t (which honestly most amateurs can’t…), t05 will be better for you. Easier to spin, more catapult, better when out of position
I have always been very public that Der_Echte is not good enough to use modern T05 on 98 percent of blades, and absolutely does not have the impact to properly use any Diginiski rubber.

If OP wants a rubber with gears that lasts forever, has ease of making spin or hit... a clear choice is Tibhar Aurus. You will not be lacking pace on power shots with this rubber and it is as old as (meaning been on market as long as) T05 itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I have always been very public that Der_Echte is not good enough to use modern T05 on 98 percent of blades, and absolutely does not have the impact to properly use any Diginiski rubber.

If OP wants a rubber with gears that lasts forever, has ease of making spin or hit... a clear choice is Tibhar Aurus. You will not be lacking pace on power shots with this rubber and it is as old as (meaning been on market as long as) T05 itself.
Der ( Tibhar fan-boi ) is like a Man U fan decked from head to tow in Man U paraphernalia coming into an Arsenal fan's gathering. Go away Der! Go play with your own kind.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I am an equal opportunity dude. The last year my FH rubber has been a Donic rubber and 80 percent of my match uniforms professionally lettered have been Donic.

Aurus actually performs and lasts in the manner I describe, That is shytty for anyone selling equipment as such want short lived rubbers to get frequent sales.