Which is better value for money Tenergy 05 or Dignics 05?

NDH

says Spin to win!
Better value? That's difficult because I think they both last a similar amount of time, and D05 is more expensive than T05....

But for me, D05 is an upgrade to T05 in every possible way.

You can get more spin despite the arc not being as high (which is much more deceptive to opponents).

It's LESS spin reactive on incoming shots, so it's easier to block and serve return.

It just feels like a safer rubber and more explosive rubber (when needed) all in one.

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
Tenergy and Dignics are ridiculously expensive for what they are. If you want value for money, go with a brand like Joola.

But Butterfly is kinda the best;if you can afford it you get it, and if you can't you still get it.

Now on a serious note, there are many tenergy like rubbers out there, as maximum catapult is easy to recreate, but the speed yet control dignics gives you is unmatched against other rubbers. What the previous posts have said is right, Dignics 05 is just better than Tenergy in almost all circumstances(exeptions being sponge hardness and catapult effect), so i would recommend getting Dignics.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Better value? That's difficult because I think they both last a similar amount of time, and D05 is more expensive than T05....

But for me, D05 is an upgrade to T05 in every possible way.

You can get more spin despite the arc not being as high (which is much more deceptive to opponents).

It's LESS spin reactive on incoming shots, so it's easier to block and serve return.

It just feels like a safer rubber and more explosive rubber (when needed) all in one.
NDH,
I bought a piece of D05 on 11.11 during Shopee / Lazada sales. It was unbelievable good deal especially with the loyalty coupons / vouchers et al.

Now I am in two minds whether to use D05 or sell it. I am luvin' the T05 as of now ( BH & FH ). If I am to use D05, it will be for FH use. Help pls O'wise NDH.

This user has no status.
I cant believe you said Joola for value for money. Their stuff is unbelievably pricy and it lasts the same as every other rubber.

Dignics 05 though.
Its cheaper than butterfly though, and it lasts longer than brands like Tibhar. All ESN rubbers are overpriced, just Joola have some of the best rubbers. Thats just my opinion though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
NDH,
I bought a piece of D05 on 11.11 during Shopee / Lazada sales. It was unbelievable good deal especially with the loyalty coupons / vouchers et al.

Now I am in two minds whether to use D05 or sell it. I am luvin' the T05 as of now ( BH & FH ). If I am to use D05, it will be for FH use. Help pls O'wise NDH.
I am also a big fan of D05 and I share the NHD opinion. Meanwhile for me it is easier to play with D05 than the T05
Do you mean 11.11 on AliExpress?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I’m wondering if it is as you all described just hypothetically.
It is obvious that:
D05 is harder, has more grip, might be spinner is less reactive to opponent spin of course in terms of serve receive but is it really faster than T05? It depends for whom.
If you are pro or very skilled amateur who uses your hip rotation, weight transfer during FH loop than yes D05 will be faster as you can active the rubber to achieve it but for most amateurs like we are which might be 40+ yo I bet that T05 can give you more because of the lack in some aspects like stamina, good footwork, more hitting from arm rather than using weight transfer and hip rotation etc. T05 is more bouncy, springy and if you are short in some aspects it probably can give more than d05.
D05 based on the reviews can be excellent rubber on BH side due to serve receive etc but on FH T05 might be better.
Like Dan described in his videos when compared D05 vs T05 than on FH side he will keep still t05 on bh might change to d05 due to above mentioned advantages.
These are just only my amateur thoughts.
For whom it will be and if can use both rubbers potential.

My thoughts came after reflection from yesterday training, I was starting using h3 Prov both sides. And only when all puzzles when FH loops fit each other I noticed how fast, how good, how difficult these shots were for the opponent but such shots was only 50/50 which made me sad yesterday.
And I know that I will not become younger. I can train more but at my age I have to consider what will make me happier during playing table tennis. I wish I was 20 years younger now…. 🥲

Reactions: jammmail and H3R0
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
i'll be honest, i bought D05 and D80 for cheap a month ish ago. I dislike it. The things you lose are just in match play too significant. Only in open game i feel like i get a lot of out it but it isn't worth it. T05 is very easy but also slightly too bouncy for my liking. Rozena has too little spin but the speed/ bounce is perfect. I'd say if money didn't matter D05 is the best. Overall value D05 is better than T05. Rozena is €35 and i prefer it.

NDH

says Spin to win!
NDH,

I think it depends how much you can make (profit) from the sale.

I can’t imagine it would be THAT much surely? So if it were me, I’d use it as an opportunity to try D05 the next time you change rubbers.

I’m 50/50 on if I think you’ll like it.

For most people I’ve played with, it’s not “love at first hit”. It’s definitely a rubber that you appreciate the more you use it - especially in match play.

I don’t think ANYTHING beats the feeling of a fresh sheet of T05 - You feel like prime Ma Long!

Regarding speed/power. T05 gives you EASIER access to the speed because the catapult effect is stronger. So you don’t need to play a firm shot for it to be fast.

You need to give D05 a little more (not much; and no where near as much as D09C), but this might put some people off, especially newer players still developing their all around attacking game.

Although for the record…. I think D05 would be better for virtually everyone. Pros and amateurs alike.

I just don’t see an area where T05 is better other than price!

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Now that I have used both ( T05 & D05 ) I can write something for posterity.

Some background: I have been using T05 for months now on a 10mm one ply hinoki which is a very good pairing and has been my go to set-up for the last few months.

During 11.11.23, Shopee gave me an offer I can't refuse on Dignics 05. I get a 20% loyalty discount voucher.

So, in Dec23 I unpacked the D05 and placed it on my Gozo(tm) Avenger Mark 1 aka the 10.5mm one ply hinoki and played with it for a two hour session at my club. It was near unplayable as the set-up was very unwieldy and my ball flew here and there.

Today I placed it on a more sensible blade: The Darker Speed 90, a 9mm one ply hinoki blade.

My comment on D05:

1. During stroking, while using the D05 on the FH side, I do find that I need to do more work to get the ball going. This is most likely due to the harder sponge. I cannot be my usual lazy self which is why I find Tenergy is such a wonderful rubber to play with.

2. I need to get a good arm speed to get the ball going with D05 which can be tiring for amateur player like me who does not train regularly.

3. The ball trajectory is lower or nearer to the net and lands longer, i.e., nearer to the baseline. This forces my partner to back up more than usual which can be a good thing.

4. T05 is easier and more forgiving as I find that even when I am out of position or caught flat-footed, I can still somehow put the ball over but not D05. You need to be in good ready position to get the ball over or else it will meet the net.

Summary:

D05 for more advance player.
T05 for more casual player.
I still prefer Tenergy 05.

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
In terms of game play:

I do not find any major advantage between D05 and T05. To me it feels they play the same with D05 having a harder sponge you need to use more work to get the same effect as T05. For me as a casual recreational player, I do not see any extra benefit D05 brings to me that T05 can do already.

To put it in perspective: Buying D05 is like buying the VW Golf R and using it plainly for city driving.

I drive mainly in the city and I am more than happy with the regular Tenergy05, errr.... I mean regular VW Golf.

Reactions: NextLevel

NDH

says Spin to win!
This post doesn't make sense. If you get more spin, the Magnus effect will be greater given the same speed. This means the trajectory will not be as flat.

How does a rubber now if the impact is blocking , hitting or looping? The coefficient of restitution does not change depending on whether it is hitting or blocking. Only the speed, spin and angle of impact determine how the ball reacts.
I can appreciate that it doesn't make sense to someone who doesn't play at a high level and who struggles to spin the ball.

But that's OK - My comment was aimed at those people who can make the most of T05 and D05.

If you can't make the most of the rubbers, you should be looking at something else - Especially if you want "value" from your rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
In terms of game play:

I do not find any major advantage between D05 and T05. To me it feels they play the same with D05 having a harder sponge you need to use more work to get the same effect as T05. For me as a casual recreational player, I do not see any extra benefit D05 brings to me that T05 can do already.

To put it in perspective: Buying D05 is like buying the VW Golf R and using it plainly for city driving.

I drive mainly in the city and I am more than happy with the regular Tenergy05, errr.... I mean regular VW Golf.
T05 generates more spin at lower impacts, but D05 is much better behaved on passive shots because of this and generates more spin at higher impacts. I am trying out D05 right now but it will be a while before I can decide whether I can use it or whether I should go back to Rakza Z. It is just what happens with harder sponge/tipsheet combinations. Players who put in more effort consistently tend to be able to get more out of harder sponge consistently as spin players..

Last edited: