Which of these three OSP Blades better suited for Medium Pimple?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
It's difficult to give some kind of more in-depth recommendation when it's unclear how you want to use your blade and medium pips combination. In general though, I think it is possible to give some direction.

IMHO, the most important properties to look at is stiffness and top ply hardness. The way I see it, they will have the most notable impact on the playing characteristics.

Here's a grossly simplified table of some very general outcomes.

Hitting & blockingA primarily stiff blade, or better yet a stiff and hard blade, will be preferable. Depending on the rubber, you may run into some control issues.
The medium pips will behave a bit more like short pips.
Control & defenseA somewhat flexy and soft blade will help. Soft also gives better control and a possibility to impart a bit more of your own spin, (but at the same time this causes it to lose a bit of reversal and funkiness).
Be careful, too flexy isn't great as it can make the pips feel mushy and not distinct enough.
Reversal/pimple effectA hard blade helps (and the thinner and harder the sponge also helps.)
The medium pips will behave a bit more like long pips.

Not sure which Ultimate and Expert blades you mean so I put all of them here. The values for these blades are:

BladeStiffnessHardness
Expert All1216
Expert CRWi1617
Ultimate OFF1814
Ultimate 3CRW2314
Musko1819

If I were you, I'd probably go for the Ultimate OFF or the Musko. It's a toss-up for me which one to go for. The Musko is a bit faster, which may be good if you're in it for the hitting, but the Ultimate is fast enough anyway, and it has the added bonus of being a bit more all-round capable and with better pips control than the Musko.

If you're in it for the looks, I'd definitively go for the Ultimate. :)

In the end you have to make the choice depending on what you want to achieve and how you want to play with your pips. I hope this helps a little bit :)
Good luck :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rokphish