Which poly ball should you choose?

This user has no status.
I played with Yasaka 40+ i have only one ball and it broke after few times of play, now i play with XSF and still not broken, will see how long it will last. Later i will try another 40+ balls, not sure if i should buy Nitakku, in my city club they play with Tibhar 40+ and i didn't ask them about durability or performance yet, but i tested 5 balls and i have 2, and all of them i saw not bad in playing and if i didn't know they are 40+ then i won't tell apart from celluloid.

When i play with those balls i try to hit hard and fast to see if it can be any good handling the power or the speed, my friend who i play with also said he couldn't see much difference, and sometimes we swap between cellu and plastic during the game and we can't feel each ball is different, all the balls we play with are 3-stars only.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
More ball news, but pretty slim pickings.

729 - With Seam - Made in China - White
Komann - With Seam - Made in China - White

A few balls are on the brink of dropping off the list (adidas, gambler, stag, TSP) and shouldn't be used after 30th June 2016 (note that this includes some plastic balls). Here is the updated list:

http://www.ittf.com/stories/Pictures/Balls_01_2016.pdf

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Read 4 reviews

On a scale of 0-10 where celluloid balls are represented by an “8”, this is how the poly balls appear to compare on average.

SEAMED
DHS/DF
SEAMED
Nittaku
SEAMLESS
XSF clones
Durability4-578-9
Roundness688-9
Spin677
Bounce consistencyInconsistentConsistentConsistent
Bounce heightLowerSameSame/slightly higher
WeightHeavier (until 2016)SameSame
SpeedSlowerSlowerSlower
FeelingFurthest from celluloidClosest to celluloidAlmost like celluloid

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hi.

I'm desagree with that comparative. Or, at least, I have to say that it's not properly actualyzed cause, since june of this year, the seamed DHS/DF balls have improve a lot. They have more consistence, still have problems with this but much better than the firts balls of september 2014. And they are considerably more spinny than anyone other poly-ball.

What I'm desagree is:

- Spin: DHS/DF seamed balls are, with no doubt trough my point of view, the ones that alow more spin in the game. After this I think Butterfly G40+ ball followed by Xushaofa are clearly less spinny, and at last Nittaku Japan are the one with less spin.

- Bounce: DHS/DF it's a little bit lower than celluloid balls, but closest than Nittaku and Xushaofa. I think (I'm not 100% sure) that Nittaku has a higger bounce than Xushaofa.

- Speed: DHS/DF are a little bit slower than celuloid. The others are faster since the bounce of the ball are higger. All of them are slower when you make topspin cause all of them are less grippy than celluloid but when you hit, Nittaku, BTF G40+ and XSF are faster than the old cell balls.

- Feeling: Today the closest ball in feeling to the cell balls are, from far, the DHS/DH. The other balls are more hard and have a poor ability to generate spin which, in my opinion, are the most distintive factor of our sport.

Conclusion over all:

DHS/DH have still a problem with consistence and specially with roundness. They have to improve to achieve a better quality but they have in my opinion the better ball. Allways considering the better ball the one that is closest to the old celluloid balls.

The other balls are harder than the cell balls and considerably less spinny but have much more consistence and roundness and more predictable bounce.

I can understand that most people prefer the second ones. The choice is still hard, but in my opinion the DHS is the closest one to the old cell balls. You have the prove of this in the most used ball in ITTF competitions. Almost all the competitions was played with DHS (all the protours, Xina league), Butterfly Xina (Suzhou world champs) or similar, some competitions like Teams World Cup or European Champs was with nittaku japan. Xushaofa I think are not allowed for ITTF competitions.

I personally prefer to play with a DHS (previously selecting a rounded one) or with Butterfly G40+ cause I think it's the one consistent ball with more spin. I also like Nittaku despite they have a poor spin but they are so predictable and have more real bounce. I hate Xushaofa cause the game seems unreal, the bounce is so high, it's like playing the arcade version of a videogame... xD

Regards

says Aging is a killer
My opinionhas changed. All plastic balls are craaap

I have a mixture of about 50 seamed and seamless balls (no Nittaku) that I use for practice. They have also gone through my robot a few times. Lately I noticed that the bounce was inconsistent. Sometimes they shoot forward and sometimes they stand up. I then did a spin test to check on roundness.
The result, almost every ball was a wobbler.
At an average price of about 1GBP each, that's a lot of money now wasted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Hi :)
Thanks for your input. My original comparison was compiled from lots of sources and now we can add your input as well. Thank you for contributing :)

I agree that the quality of DHS balls have increased somewhat, but I don't agree with them being the highest quality ball available right now. However, that's just my personal opinion. :)

I can understand that most people prefer the second ones. The choice is still hard, but in my opinion the DHS is the closest one to the old cell balls. You have the prove of this in the most used ball in ITTF competitions. Almost all the competitions was played with DHS (all the protours, Xina league), Butterfly Xina (Suzhou world champs) or similar, some competitions like Teams World Cup or European Champs was with nittaku japan. Xushaofa I think are not allowed for ITTF competitions.
I'm afraid you are wrong here. Which ball to use in the competitions isn't based on which ball is the best, but which company pays the most to be the official sponsor. So it doesn't prove that DHS balls are the best ones, it just proves that DHS paid to be the official ball of the official ITTF tournaments.

The Xushaofa ball is allowed for any ITTF competitions anywhere in the world, (including Pro Tour and championships).
All balls in this list are allowed to be used in any ITTF competition anywhere in the world:

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel and Baal
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I am not in agreement with Josep Anton Velazquez on some of the points in his post. I did not find the newer DHS balls to be more spinny, although they are definitely rounder than before. They still bounce substantially lower than celluloid and all of the other plastic balls and for that reason are not easy to play with, at least for people who play standard offensive table tennis. I think the closet to celluloid is still Nittaku Japan, it has almost identical bounce height among other things. I think the fastest and straightest ball is G40+. The XSF ball bounces highest but feels like it plays the slowest. They all have less spin than celluloid. They are all slower than celluloid. I am pretty sure that as they leave your racket, they all spin similarly, but they differ from each other in terms of how the spin makes the ball behave -- whether it has a larger effect on flight through the air, bounce off the table, or reaction with opponent's racket. To some extent, which one you like best depends on how you play, but there has been a consensus for a long time that the seamed Chinese balls are poor in terms of quality and playing property. DHS has more recently improved the quality, that is clear, but the playing property has not changed very much.

The one thing for sure is that in the celluloid days, we never had to cope with this much variation in playing properties based on what brand of ball we used.

And yes, ball decisions were made based on ITTF sponsorship (money), not whether the ball is the best. However, Nittaku was used in some recent major events.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Read 4 reviews
I agree that the quality of DHS balls have increased somewhat, but I don't agree with them being the highest quality ball available right now. However, that's just my personal opinion. :)

Hi brabhamista :)

Yes, DHS is not the highest quality, as I said in my previous coment they still have some problems with consistence and roundness. I'm also agree woth you in that, sorry if my text seems to say something diferent my expresion in english is so limited... :rolleyes:

What I try to say is that in my opinion is the most similar ball to the celluloid balls. And I'm specialy not agree with the spin values of the comparative table.

I am not in agreement with Josep Anton Velazquez on some of the points in his post. I did not find the newer DHS balls to be more spinny, although they are definitely rounder than before. They still bounce substantially lower than celluloid and all of the other plastic balls and for that reason are not easy to play with, at least for people who play standard offensive table tennis. I think the closet to celluloid is still Nittaku Japan, it has almost identical bounce height among other things. I think the fastest and straightest ball is G40+. The XSF ball bounces highest but feels like it plays the slowest. They all have less spin than celluloid. They are all slower than celluloid. I am pretty sure that as they leave your racket, they all spin similarly, but they differ from each other in terms of how the spin makes the ball behave -- whether it has a larger effect on flight through the air, bounce off the table, or reaction with opponent's racket. To some extent, which one you like best depends on how you play, but there has been a consensus for a long time that the seamed Chinese balls are poor in terms of quality and playing property. DHS has more recently improved the quality, that is clear, but the playing property has not changed very much.

mmm front my own experience I feel the new DHS much more spinny than the others poly balls. My service has more quality and I can play fast topspins even when the ball is at low point, or play spinny topspins that make dificult to block for my rival. With the other poly balls I feel all this aspects much more dificult.

As I said before, this not means that the quality of the DHS balls are the best one. From my opinion still are poor quality, but the most similar feel to the old ones.

Nittaku are so consistent and predictable but so expensive and, from my point of view, the one with less grip. If I buy the same amounth of money of DHS and Nittaku I can buy more DHS. If then I choose the best ones of DHS the quality increases near to the Nittaku. I hope I explain it well :-D anyway the Nittaku quality is realy a premium quality, no doubt about this!

Reactions: brabhamista
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Read 4 reviews
The Xushaofa ball is allowed for any ITTF competitions anywhere in the world, (including Pro Tour and championships).
All balls in this list are allowed to be used in any ITTF competition anywhere in the world:

Ups! Sorry about that, some friend told me that this brand is not allowed for ITTF competitions... he told me that when I make this afirmation "you never see and ITTF event played with Xushaofa" based on my experience with this ball and my personal point of view that makes the game so diferent to what we are used to know.

I have some profesional player and most of them are in agreement with this. They also dislike the way that Xushaofa plays in game.

Anyway I think that we never see a major tournament played with XSF... but will see.

The one thing for sure is that in the celluloid days, we never had to cope with this much variation in playing properties based on what brand of ball we used..

Totally agree.

I hope to see a consensus in the near future, it's not serious to play avery week with a ball with a diferent propieties...

Regards

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Yes, DHS is not the highest quality, as I said in my previous coment they still have some problems with consistence and roundness. I'm also agree woth you in that, sorry if my text seems to say something diferent my expresion in english is so limited... :rolleyes:

What I try to say is that in my opinion is the most similar ball to the celluloid balls. And I'm specialy not agree with the spin values of the comparative table.

mmm front my own experience I feel the new DHS much more spinny than the others poly balls. My service has more quality and I can play fast topspins even when the ball is at low point, or play spinny topspins that make dificult to block for my rival. With the other poly balls I feel all this aspects much more dificult.

As I said before, this not means that the quality of the DHS balls are the best one. From my opinion still are poor quality, but the most similar feel to the old ones.

Nittaku are so consistent and predictable but so expensive and, from my point of view, the one with less grip. If I buy the same amounth of money of DHS and Nittaku I can buy more DHS. If then I choose the best ones of DHS the quality increases near to the Nittaku. I hope I explain it well :-D anyway the Nittaku quality is realy a premium quality, no doubt about this!

This is because you like "seamed" ball behavior, and there is nothing wrong with that. But the DHS balls fail the bounce height test so badly that I cannot stand them. After playing shortly too, they start going out of round and start wobbling in the air.

Ever since we went to plastic, I decided to forget about the old ball and focus on bounce height. In terms of similarity to old ball, it is between Nittaku Premium 40+ and Butterfly G3 40+, but only because they have seams. My guess is that if XuShaofa had a seam too, it would be just like the old ball as well. The bounce of the DHS ball is too low for me to even take it seriously. If I play with it for a while, I can adapt, but I think that it is because of the low bounce and seam players think it has more spin. Even Ovtcharov said that the ball is crappy.

The main reasons some pros (many I know prefer it in some ways) don't like XSF is because the lack of seam means it takes spin differently. But the bounce height is preferred by many pros to that of DHS. So it depends on who you talk to. But the pros like Nitttaku and Butterfly the best, but Nittaku especially.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014

Hi Josep Antón :)
Sorry, my mistake. Your English is fine, I just did't read your post properly. I'll do better in the future. :)

I've updated the first post to reflect the improvements in quality for the DHS ball, but so far your opinion about the feeling of DHS isn't supported by a lot of people, so I'll leave it as it was for now. :)

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
I've added a column for the Weener/Butterfly G40+ to the table in order to make it more up-to-date.
Personal
ly I haven't played with it, so I'm disqualified to comment.

But those of you who have, please try to comment on the durability, roundness, spin, etc. to complete the table.
Remember that celluloid balls are represented by an 8.

SEAMED
DHS/DF
SEAMED
Nittaku
SEAMLESS
XSF clones
SEAMED
Weener
G40+
Durability5-678-9
Roundness688-9
Spin7777
Bounce consistencyInconsistentConsistentConsistent
Bounce height788-9
Weight8888
Speed777
FeelingCloseClosestCloser

<tbody>
</tbody>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The Weener ball is fastest. It is 8-9 on your scale for speed. Th ball is durable but it is liable to getting dented and is smoother. The roundness is pretty good, and I would give it 7 or 6.75 for durability only because it goes out of round if dented on a hard hit, while I would personally prefer a crack. I would also list it as closest. Bounce height is 8-9. Consistent bounce to me, but Baal complained about that.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews

It is possible that your serve is staying nice and low with this DHS ball. Assessing spin of balls is very difficult since different people are cued into different effects of the spin on ball behavior, and that varies with different brands of plastic ball.

My personal assessment remains that the world would be a better place if all Chinese seamed balls, including the newest DHS, were re-purposed to make other plastic objects, like buckets to hold balls, or objects unrelated to table tennis.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The Weener ball is fastest. It is 8-9 on your scale for speed. Th ball is durable but it is liable to getting dented and is smoother. The roundness is pretty good, and I would give it 7 or 6.75 for durability only because it goes out of round if dented on a hard hit, while I would personally prefer a crack. I would also list it as closest. Bounce height is 8-9. Consistent bounce to me, but Baal complained about that.

I only found the bounce inconsistent after they were somewhat worn.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My personal assessment remains that the world would be a better place if all Chinese seamed balls, including the newest DHS, were re-purposed to make other plastic objects, like buckets to hold balls, or objects unrelated to table tennis.

I think we all would benefit from the ITTF deciding to implement this plan.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews