Why do people say LP's should be banned?

This user has no status.
There is nothing wrong with playing pips.

Personally, I quite enjoy the challenge of playing someone that has a backhand long pip chopping game combined with dangerous forehand attack.
Having been recently introduced to Deng Yaping I found the following video. What a beast. Huge respect.

But, some ways of playing can make the game less enjoyable. I may have struggled to enjoy playing her opposition in the match shown. And there is a correlation between playing style and equipment. IMO the real cause of people's frustration is often mis-identified.

As a spectator my feelings are the same. I once watched a provincial final between two defenders, one a pure defender and the other barely attacking at all. It was like watching paint dry. Eventually the expedite rule was invoked and it became obvious that the pure defender had no chance of winning. It was somewhat farcical and embarrassing imo.
In other sports, Judo for example, passivity results in a penalty point to the opposition, and if passivity continues a disqualification is given. Losing in that manner is not going to earn you respect.
When I play, I want the match to involve some amount of vigorous play from both sides; that makes for an interesting match, both for players and spectators. I enjoy a mix of fast action and slow spinny tactical rallies and think table tennis at its best involves a level of athleticism. I like colorful and creative exchanges, hence my username, Loop Lob Smash.

Love this:

There are for the most part no rights or wrongs here*. I have given you some background to show why I feel the way I do.

* If people leave the game because they are not enjoying it, that would not be a good thing. If spectators become bored, that is not a good thing either.

1712525964353.png

Last edited:
This user has no status.
There is nothing wrong with playing pips.

Personally, I quite enjoy the challenge of playing someone that has a backhand long pip chopping game combined with dangerous forehand attack.
Having been recently introduced to Deng Yaping I found the following video. What a beast. Huge respect.

But, some ways of playing can make the game less enjoyable. I may have struggled to enjoy playing her opposition in the match shown. And there is a correlation between playing style and equipment. IMO the real cause of people's frustration is often mis-identified.

As a spectator my feelings are the same. I once watched a provincial final between two defenders, one a pure defender and the other barely attacking at all. It was like watching paint dry. Eventually the expedite rule was invoked and it became obvious that the pure defender had no chance of winning. It was somewhat farcical and embarrassing imo.
In other sports, Judo for example, passivity results in a penalty point to the opposition, and if passivity continues a disqualification is given. Losing in that manner is not going to earn you respect.
When I play, I want the match to involve some amount of vigorous play from both sides; that makes for an interesting match, both for players and spectators. I enjoy a mix of fast action and slow spinny tactical rallies and think table tennis at its best involves a level of athleticism. I like colorful and creative exchanges, hence my username, Loop Lob Smash.

Love this:

There are for the most part no rights or wrongs here*. I have given you some background to show why I feel the way I do.

* If people leave the game because they are not enjoying it, that would not be a good thing. If spectators become bored, that is not a good thing either.

View attachment 29258
Doubt WTT will do that otherwise all the old ppl will be leaving the sport - and they are probably much richer than the young ppl in today's world. A lot of old ppl in the sport just can't compete with younger players if everyone played similar equipment and a lot have massive egos. It's the only sport where some old guy can beat a young player with good technique with just all sorts of disruptive strokes using pips/anti.

If you looked at the average age of ppl on this forum - I would be guessing it's 50 yrs old...

This user has no status.
Doubt WTT will do that otherwise all the old ppl will be leaving the sport - and they are probably much richer than the young ppl in today's world. A lot of old ppl in the sport just can't compete with younger players if everyone played similar equipment and a lot have massive egos. It's the only sport where some old guy can beat a young player with good technique with just all sorts of disruptive strokes using pips/anti.

If you looked at the average age of ppl on this forum - I would be guessing it's 50 yrs old...
No worries. Was not advocating for a rule change. I'm mid-fifties and still eat green berets for breakfast, with my loop drives, lobs and smashes ;)

Reactions: blahness
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Blahness, I bet you $500 USD that 2x inverted wierd stroking 60 yr old not so thin R. Dewitt will defeat you so badly that it may make you regret ever deciding to pursue TT as a sport.

He will do it with 2x inverted all the way.

This user has no status.
Blahness, I bet you $500 USD that 2x inverted wierd stroking 60 yr old not so thin R. Dewitt will defeat you so badly that it may make you regret ever deciding to pursue TT as a sport.

Nah, he's not even getting past my serves and serve receives with his age and level, especially if he's not using pips or anti to receive. He doesnt seem to serve very spinny or deceptive even. Also hes way too slow. The only way he wins is if his dead balls cause ppl to wanna wait to loop it and thus get pushed to mid distance where he can bully them positionally. Sorry but I don't play that game.

My practice partner is quite a bit stronger than him with even more weird shit (like what you would expect with LP/inverted penhold, and I still go even with him often. He has gone even and beaten quite a few top state players here.

This user has no status.
Do you have a rating on rating central ?
If not may be you can name some of your recent wins against at least few of the the highest players in a league or something & their ratings.
Thanks
I have wins and losses against ~RC 1500-1600 level players... so I would guess roughly 2000-2100 if you were talking in terms of USATT. But because I play a lot against pips ppl I actually have an advantage over weird style players which is why . It's the consistent af double inverted players who are a nightmare to face.

But tbh, I really prefer losing against quality inverted players rather than winning against pips. It's just a more enjoyable game, sorry...

This user has no status.
You had this wins & losses where ?
So this is your estimated rating or you have played in actual tournaments or leagues ?

So a 1500 Rating Central player is 2000 USATT ? Really ? Maybe David Marcus or someone else can confirm

Anyway here is Richard Dewitt's data
https://usatt.simplycompete.com/userAccount/up/1714

Maybe der_echte arrange this match. You can place the bet money in an escrow & maybe you can fly to USA or DeWitt fly there & loser can reimburse travel costs
Something like that .
What do you think?
TTD members can place their bets
Yet another member with stupidly low amount of posts decides to troll me... OK you're on the ignore list now. My time is too precious for this shit.

Ah, it's actually all quite simple. And much of what is written here does not matter at all. The people who reach for technical equipment do so in 98% of cases because they cannot execute stipulated strokes properly and thereby score their intended points. They look for a solution to this which may or may not be offered to them by a coach and the ITTF. It is their full right of course (the equipment is legal) but why not improve their skills for a non-controllable stroke than revert to something they can score easy points with. Once they have mastered the technical material, it takes many hours of training. They could have spent those hours on their shortcomings but chose the easiest solution in the first place.
Players who later get on well with their technical equipment deserve only respect of course but must also realise that there are limits to their ability there too. More than likely, those limits will be no higher than if they would have opted for thorough training of their lesser technical strokes.
Of course, you can arm yourself against these gentlemen with 2 x inverted rubbers but that will be trial and error for most.

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
Ah, it's actually all quite simple. And much of what is written here does not matter at all. The people who reach for technical equipment do so in 98% of cases because they cannot execute stipulated strokes properly and thereby score their intended points. They look for a solution to this which may or may not be offered to them by a coach and the ITTF. It is their full right of course (the equipment is legal) but why not improve their skills for a non-controllable stroke than revert to something they can score easy points with. Once they have mastered the technical material, it takes many hours of training. They could have spent those hours on their shortcomings but chose the easiest solution in the first place.
Players who later get on well with their technical equipment deserve only respect of course but must also realise that there are limits to their ability there too. More than likely, those limits will be no higher than if they would have opted for thorough training of their lesser technical strokes.
Of course, you can arm yourself against these gentlemen with 2 x inverted rubbers but that will be trial and error for most.

You don't understand people might choice to use pips not because they cannot execute stroke properly but simply because they love to play with pips

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011

There's my $500 USD to add to that one. Also the higher rated league player at almost 2200 from the link or matching from tournaments. Not sure how that 2 rating works from USATT?. He's also been around that rating for.... oh wow a LONG time as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2023
You don't understand people might choice to use pips not because they cannot execute stroke properly but simply because they love to play with pips

And there is probably a small percentage of pips players out there than have never used anything else. I myself was first introduced to the sport with what would be described as a "modern defensive" set up (inverted on FH and LP's on BH). I spent the first couple of years of my table tennis journey as a LP chopper and blocker, having never played a backhand topspin stroke before. My first introduction to backhand topspin with inverted rubber was when I started to learn to twiddle my bat. Then I realised that I actually preferred topspin on both wings and switched to double inverted. So I actually went in the opposite direction to most players that use pips; I started out with pips and then moved away from them, rather than starting with inverted and moving to pip for whatever reason.

Strong that you write that I don't understand that, you don't even know me. :D
Maybe you are an exception? So you also mastered all strokes with normal 2x inverted rubbers? You started playing table tennis right away with LP/SP or anti, without using inverted = 0,01%? Very good of you!💪

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
Strong that you write that I don't understand that, you don't even know me. :D
Maybe you are an exception? So you also mastered all strokes with normal 2x inverted rubbers? You started playing table tennis right away with LP/SP or anti, without using inverted = 0,01%? Very good of you!💪

Started to play with 2 inverted. Never had problem with BH. My BH even better then FH. Year ago changed to LP, now playing with SP. I just like it. Maybe I am exception but I sure there is many like me.

Reactions: Metaxa
Started to play with 2 inverted. Never had problem with BH. My BH even better then FH. Year ago changed to LP, now playing with SP. I just like it. Maybe I am exception but I sure there is many like me.
What was the main decision to switch to pips? Not because you liked it because you didn't know it at the time (maybe only from others), you just experienced that first in retrospect that you liked it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
What was the main decision to switch to pips? Not because you liked it because you didn't know it at the time (maybe only from others), you just experienced that first in retrospect that you liked it.

Always liked to watch choppers and wanted to try myself