Why haven't SEA countries had many strong TT players?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Southeast Asia is really strong in badminton. Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and to a lesser degree Vietnam have produced many strong badminton players. But how come we haven't seen many TT players from these countries break through into the top 10?

Are their TT programs just underfunded? I tend to see a lot of SEA TT players on youtube, so the sport seems fairly popular over there. I know Singapore has had success on the women's side, but I think a lot of their players are former CNT players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2023
I can only speak for Vietnam. TT is the second most popular racket sport, but the popularity is nothing compared to football and basketball, which is one of the reason why it's underfund. Talent programmes are undermined by bureaucracy, plus the talent pool is not very big given the aforementioned reason.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Thailand women got bronze at the most recent Asian Games and are probably the strongest in the region now. Can't speak for other nations but today's state of table tennis in Singapore is the result of decision makers at STTA prioritising short term results over long term development for more than a decade.

I can only speak for Vietnam. TT is the second most popular racket sport, but the popularity is nothing compared to football and basketball, which is one of the reason why it's underfund. Talent programmes are undermined by bureaucracy, plus the talent pool is not very big given the aforementioned reason.
I've been living in Vietnam for about 7 years. In Saigon, I would argue that table tennis is much more popular than basketball. I know of at least 30 or 35 table tennis clubs around the city. I've tried to play basketball here. There is hardly anyplace you can play indoors and very few outdoor basketball courts. I'm 44 years old and rarely play basketball anymore, but I can still dominate most of the pick up games here.

My official USATT rating is about 1830, but I haven't played a rated tournament in over 6 years. I'm probably around USATT 2000, but I'm probably in the bottom 1/3 of the playing level at most of the good clubs. There are thousands of table tennis players in Saigon, But it's hard to find people that play basketball on a regular basis. Soccer is by far the most popular sport as far as I know.

Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I've been living in Vietnam for about 7 years. In Saigon, I would argue that table tennis is much more popular than basketball. I know of at least 30 or 35 table tennis clubs around the city. I've tried to play basketball here. There is hardly anyplace you can play indoors and very few outdoor basketball courts. I'm 44 years old and rarely play basketball anymore, but I can still dominate most of the pick up games here.

My official USATT rating is about 1830, but I haven't played a rated tournament in over 6 years. I'm probably around USATT 2000, but I'm probably in the bottom 1/3 of the playing level at most of the good clubs. There are thousands of table tennis players in Saigon, But it's hard to find people that play basketball on a regular basis. Soccer is by far the most popular sport as far as I know.
Yeah, TT seems very popular in Vietnam. They seem like they have good coaching and good TT theory and understanding. And there seems to be a lot of Vietnamese on TTD as well.

But how come they don't have any pro players on the level of Korea, Japan, France, Germany, etc. I mean, even Iran and Kazakhstan have stronger players.

When I look at the top 100 ranking, I see a lot of small countries where TT doesn't even seem that popular. But I don't see any SEA countries.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

btw have you tried Pho Phu Vuong in Saigon? Crazy good

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Because ethnic Chinese don't play for them in table tennis like they did in badminton (and got discriminated like shit that there is an official term for it - 排華/Chinese exclusion, which makes Ethnocide of Uyghurs so laughable) that laid the foundation for their own future home-grown players.

https://www.quora.com/How-did-badminton-become-so-popular-in-Indonesia
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-all-Malaysian-badminton-players-so-extraordinarily-Chinese
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-South-East-Asian-countries-good-in-badminton

Reactions: blahness
says former JPEN, now CPEN
says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
my country's players r pretty talented, pretty sure gozo shared one of my country's players whom also faced off against ma long once and won a set off of him

i heard that it has much to do with politics within the association that is stifling the performance of our country's TT but this is just a rumour

also yeahhhhhhhhh table tennis is not a popular sport here, there are many players but it is not up there when compared to badminton and soccer

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
From what I heard, Vietnam doesn't have funds for players - both junior and seniors to play international.
If they wish to, they can self fund.

It is a pity, as from what I heard, Vietnam does have a decent development system and domestic structure.
But you just don't see many playing international.
which is a shame

Thailand women's team have always been decent over the past 10 to 15 years, and on a good day, could give some top players a run for their money

Reactions: longle
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Southeast Asia is really strong in badminton. Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and to a lesser degree Vietnam have produced many strong badminton players. But how come we haven't seen many TT players from these countries break through into the top 10?

Are their TT programs just underfunded? I tend to see a lot of SEA TT players on youtube, so the sport seems fairly popular over there. I know Singapore has had success on the women's side, but I think a lot of their players are former CNT players.
TBH,

You are an American and why are you interested in my lil'backyard. Just massively curious. Not condensing, just genuinely curious.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Not sure of other ASEAN members but in my country it only need a breakout player and the funding will come through.

Take Nicol David the former world No. 1 in squash ( racquet ball ). When she won some major title, the funding came into squash.

It is the same for ten-pin bowling.
IMG_7352.jpeg

It is the same for diving.
IMG_7345.jpeg
IMG_7346.jpeg

IMG_7347.jpeg

Above is Leong Mun Yee. Our diving star.

We just need a breakthrough star in TT.
IMG_7344.jpeg
IMG_7343.jpeg
IMG_7342.jpeg

Nicol David: Awesome Megawatt smile. Great Personality. Awesome sportswoman.

Last edited:
Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Not sure of other ASEAN members but in my country it only need a breakout player and the funding will come through.

Take Nicol David the former world No. 1 in squash ( racquet ball ). When she won some major title, the funding came into squash.

It is the same for ten-pin bowling.

It is the same for diving.

We just need a breakthrough star in TT.
The problem with TT is that it is expensive fo build a player that breaks through, especially with the dominance of some other countries. So the funding may never come if that is the case.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
The problem with TT is that it is expensive fo build a player that breaks through, especially with the dominance of some other countries. So the funding may never come if that is the case.
Sigh.... looking at Joola Pickleball webpage now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2021
Yeah, TT seems very popular in Vietnam. They seem like they have good coaching and good TT theory and understanding. And there seems to be a lot of Vietnamese on TTD as well.

But how come they don't have any pro players on the level of Korea, Japan, France, Germany, etc. I mean, even Iran and Kazakhstan have stronger players.

When I look at the top 100 ranking, I see a lot of small countries where TT doesn't even seem that popular. But I don't see any SEA countries.
Isaac Quek from Singapore is at 52. He is only 17 and won the under 15 boy championship if I recall

Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
bingo

Lin's family paid USD4500+ (nett) per month to hire a coach to coach Lin. Including accommodation, travel etc. costs, this is a huge amount for an "unknown".
This was a huge gamble.

What kind of gamble?
From all the high level coaches I chatted to, they feel Lin is 1 in a 100 if not 500 or 1000.
so that means, 99 or 499 or 999 other kids having such rich resource to hire a top international, will not be as successful as Lin.

How I know? because Lin isn't the only one using private funding to burn $55k min a year on hiring coaches (which equates to maybe $100k~$300k a year expense on table tennis - as a 13~15 year old kid).

Lin's era is still lucky, since there is now a lot more money in Taiwan, both from private sector and public.
In Chuang's era, where he was also top 10 in the world, I would say his funding is maybe 10 folds less than what Lin has today.
Chuang's mom had to sell 1 house per year to fund Chuang training in China. 3 year training in China, Chuang's mom sold 3 houses.
I'm not sure if the return is there, since property price has sky rocketed, but the investment did help Chuang become a top player. But as I said, wrong era. He would been a lot more wealthy if he was 10 to 15 years younger.

We only hear of the success stories. But we don't hear of those 99% that has failed.
It isn't easy, and there isn't enough "pro" TT circuit to keep "Asians" from going pro.
IE. Taiwan doesn't have a professional league and for one to play overseas - does require world ranking to help with getting in.
I would believe the same applies for many SEA countries - where they could be good enough for league in Europe, but they don't have WR status to justify a good income.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
bingo

Lin's family paid USD4500+ (nett) per month to hire a coach to coach Lin. Including accommodation, travel etc. costs, this is a huge amount for an "unknown".
This was a huge gamble.

What kind of gamble?
From all the high level coaches I chatted to, they feel Lin is 1 in a 100 if not 500 or 1000.
so that means, 99 or 499 or 999 other kids having such rich resource to hire a top international, will not be as successful as Lin.

How I know? because Lin isn't the only one using private funding to burn $55k min a year on hiring coaches (which equates to maybe $100k~$300k a year expense on table tennis - as a 13~15 year old kid).

Lin's era is still lucky, since there is now a lot more money in Taiwan, both from private sector and public.
In Chuang's era, where he was also top 10 in the world, I would say his funding is maybe 10 folds less than what Lin has today.
Chuang's mom had to sell 1 house per year to fund Chuang training in China. 3 year training in China, Chuang's mom sold 3 houses.
I'm not sure if the return is there, since property price has sky rocketed, but the investment did help Chuang become a top player. But as I said, wrong era. He would been a lot more wealthy if he was 10 to 15 years younger.

We only hear of the success stories. But we don't hear of those 99% that has failed.
It isn't easy, and there isn't enough "pro" TT circuit to keep "Asians" from going pro.
IE. Taiwan doesn't have a professional league and for one to play overseas - does require world ranking to help with getting in.
I would believe the same applies for many SEA countries - where they could be good enough for league in Europe, but they don't have WR status to justify a good income.
Bottom line: Kids just listen to your pop and mom and study accountancy / medicine / law / engineering.

Following your passion is how you become homeless - Asian Dad's words of wisdom.

This user has no status.
Bottom line: Kids just listen to your pop and mom and study accountancy / medicine / law / engineering.

Following your passion is how you become homeless - Asian Dad's words of wisdom.
Unless your mom and pop are rich af and you can afford to do anything you want....

Pretty sad but it's too much of a financial gamble in pro sports or music, even if the kid is really good.

Reactions: TT Lover