Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
As many of you may know TableTennisdaily member and two-time Olympian table tennis professional William Henzell is preparing for his third Olympic campaign. In the videos below William talks about how his training is going and how tough it actually is for him. William quit and office job of 3 years to play table tennis full time to achieve his ambitions! :)

Any questions you would like to ask William, leave a comment below and he will get back to you. Enjoy!

559107-william-henzell.jpg

Image Courtesy of Adelaide Now

Be sure to Subscribe to Williams Henzells youtube channel

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Thanks Dan. I'm making this up as I go - so if you guys have any requests for topics you'd like me to speak about in the Journey entries, just let me know.

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Oh and of course William - thank you for sharing and letting us see a bit into the life of a pro's training!! its truly awesome to be able to see this.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Get ur questions in fast he's finding the training a bit tougher these days ;)

Hehe

I think more videos in the training hall of you and your new bros training. That would be cool. N maybe another video of that players serve. Perhaps a video of the coaches when they are talking.to you. What exercises they give the group ect

Maybe do 60 second videos on a daily basis of quick fire questions and bigger videos every 3 days or something.

Anyways Will your doing a great job.. Keep focussing on the training and we can use this thread for all your updates :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Great stuff Will. I really enjoyed watching these and the insight into the life of a full time player they give.

Afew of the hundreds of questions I'd like to ask are : How many people are in your training group? Where are they from? What age range are they?

Do you know how most people fund this training? Is it by their association? is it privately funded? with sponsorship etc?

This user has no status.
I'm really enjoying the videos. Especially interesting seeing how they do warms up and physical training ect. I'm just wondering how do these places work financially/as a business? Who runs them/pays for them? Do the players have to pay to train there? Clearly we need a couple of these in the UK if we are ever going to compete.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I'm really enjoying the videos. Especially interesting seeing how they do warms up and physical training ect. I'm just wondering how do these places work financially/as a business? Who runs them/pays for them? Do the players have to pay to train there? Clearly we need a couple of these in the UK if we are ever going to compete.

That's an interesting question indeed. The national association of Austria probably helps, and they probably made money off the Austria Open. Maybe they host more events since it's a good hall I guess. But there is no club that plays there as far as I know so they can't get the money from spectators and sponsors like normal clubs do I think.

says Aging is a killer
Any mention of injuries and how do the pros train whilst injured? That is, older pros are usually carrying some kind of injury such as a weak arm or knee due to pass damage. What do the coaches recommend as a training regime for say a weak knee and/or shoulder?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
4th Video of Williams Journey.

The issue William is talking about with the crossover point and switching to the forehand at the beginning is one of the more important things that I have to work on as well. I am so comfortable with my backhand that I cover more of the table with my backhand in matches than I should and the crossover point is more awkward as a result since my reflexes and my body does not seem to want to turn to the forehand. In training, I know I can turn to my forehand and then in matches I get stuck on the backhand and when the ball goes to that switching point I keep with my backhand instead of turning open to my forehand the way I should. I also do not get my body turned open enough when I am switching.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
5th installement of Williams Journey.

This time we get to look at how tough compeition is in elite table tennis.

Remember any questions you would like to ask William, leave them here and he will get back to you as soon as possible :)