Who do you think will win the World Championships?

• Ma Long

Votes: 65 37.6%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 67 38.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Timo Boll

• Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
unbelievable outcome. A bit disappointed to see him go early.

I dont think he only focused on chinese , most of the times these losses are mental/psychological. The kid is a beast though he is not afraid of mistakes which is extremely important, it was also nice to see Jun acknowledging harimoto's value with a smile at the end

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
It's amazing that just a 13 year old can reach this level. In what other sport could we see a 13 year old beat the nr 4 in the world or a similar accomplishment? Snooker maybe?

Absolutely amazing. I find it strange that so many people dislike him just for his choing and can't seem to see past that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's amazing that just a 13 year old can reach this level. In what other sport could we see a 13 year old beat the nr 4 in the world or a similar accomplishment? Snooker maybe?

Absolutely amazing. I find it strange that so many people dislike him just for his choing and can't seem to see past that.

Because his choing is part of the reason he plays as well as he does - he uses it to throw off opponents not used to it.

I have played kids that choed like that before - it was a particularly bad experience losing to them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Because his choing is part of the reason he plays as well as he does - he uses it to throw off opponents not used to it.

I have played kids that choed like that before - it was a particularly bad experience losing to them.

I think we all get trapped into the "kid" stereotype most of the times especially if we havent faced a specific "kid" in previous matches. A well trained and talented kid , is definitely not a "kid" anymore but a formidable opponent, same thing goes for "old fat guys" . Harimoto is definitely not a kid when it comes to table tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews

Yes it is off putting I agree, and I don't like it or approve of it at all! I am the complete opposite personally and try to adopt Niwas strategy. But if you're a pro player or want to be a pro player and you're losing because of his choing, then that's something you'll have to adapt to as long as it is allowed. I doubt Mizutani lost because Harimoto was choing (I don't know, I missed the game unfortunately), but you have to respect the level that he's at, it's astonishing.

You can dislike his behaviour without disliking him and respect his skill. And again, he's still a kid.. kids are kids, does this justify it? Of course not, but if you're an adult and you know this it's understandable. No need to throw out abuse or "jokes" which some people have done. I don't mean you, by the way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think we all get trapped into the "kid" stereotype most of the times especially if we havent faced a specific "kid" in previous matches. A well trained and talented kid , is definitely not a "kid" anymore but a formidable opponent, same thing goes for "old fat guys" . Harimoto is definitely not a kid when it comes to table tennis

Agreed. If an adult choed like that, on basically every point, would Richie be asking us to look past his screaming?

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Agreed. If an adult choed like that, on basically every point, would Richie be asking us to look past his screaming?

But there are plenty of adults that do scream like that and that's horrible too - and no I'm not asking you to look past it. I never said that. His skill can be respected without condoning his screaming, which is what I'm saying.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes it is off putting I agree, and I don't like it or approve of it at all! I am the complete opposite personally and try to adopt Niwas strategy. But if you're a pro player or want to be a pro player and you're losing because of his choing, then that's something you'll have to adapt to as long as it is allowed. I doubt Mizutani lost because Harimoto was choing (I don't know, I missed the game unfortunately), but you have to respect the level that he's at, it's astonishing.

You can dislike his behaviour without disliking him and respect his skill. And again, he's still a kid.. kids are kids, does this justify it? Of course not, but if you're an adult and you know this it's understandable. No need to throw out abuse or "jokes" which some people have done. I don't mean you, by the way.

It's obviously something you have to adapt to. I am just explaining that people know he is talented, they dislike the strategy he uses to get under the skin of his opponents since self-motivation is not the only thing in play. Once or twice a match or on big points is socially acceptable. Every single point is a different level. I know what you mean and you know what I mean, the devil is in the details and the perspectives.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Question about coaching between games. I have always wondered a bit what coaches actually say between games, but am more curious about why it appears the player never says anything. It seems like it is just nodding and drinking, and they rarely seem to offer an opinion. Does anything really sink in, or is it more just a time to rest.
And in other sports, coaches have a clipboard to draw on. You'd think that might be helpful in TT, as they could diagram patterns and tactics, rather than just talk at the player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Question about coaching between games. I have always wondered a bit what coaches actually say between games, but am more curious about why it appears the player never says anything. It seems like it is just nodding and drinking, and they rarely seem to offer an opinion. Does anything really sink in, or is it more just a time to rest.
And in other sports, coaches have a clipboard to draw on. You'd think that might be helpful in TT, as they could diagram patterns and tactics, rather than just talk at the player.

Coaching is not one size fits all. Many coaches do what their coaches did, some coaches look for ways to innovate. Since coaching is really about getting your player to play their best table tennis (which may or may not be a function of specific match strategy), the coach may or may not find diagramming superfluous, depending on the player. I assure you that if the CNT did it, everyone would.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
But there are plenty of adults that do scream like that and that's horrible too - and no I'm not asking you to look past it. I never said that. His skill can be respected without condoning his screaming, which is what I'm saying.

Sure, I can respect his skill. It's very high, and interesting due to his age.

But...

You can dislike his behaviour without disliking him.

No way. I dislike him because of his behaviour, and would rather he bombed out early in tournaments so I don't have to listen to his ridiculous roaring. As much as he beats opponents due to skill, it will always be tainted to a degree in my mind because of his intentional distraction. He gets little respect from me because he shows his opponent little respect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

Choing in every point is definitely annoying, especially in amateur play most of the choers do it to annoy you, that's why it is annoying in the first place :p Its not the act that irritates me but the intention because the stakes are pointless win or lose our lives wont change after a big win or a big loss in amateur play.

Now for the spectacle, choing your lungs out after a push exchange or opponent making a stupid mistake is definitely not enjoyable, nobody hates that kid imho we just like to watch good table tennis and harimoto can deliver that, its the screaming contest that bothers me

p.s. did anyone see niwa vs gao ning? My impression is that niwa had a very firm grip on the match but loses focus easily, especially when he is ahead , he could have finished gao of 4-2 convincingly in the 6th but he was forced to a decider

p.s.2 chess is another sport where little kids demolish established world class grandmasters, especially in the past 30 years

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

I dont think there is a need to draw anything but I will agree with NL abouth the chinese (it would be interesting to see if LGL starts drawing basement tactics and stuff how many other coaches will copy him). TT is not as complicated as basketball when it comes to tactics/strategy and it doesnt have other players to interact with

A coach can just say play extreme BH, then to his/her elbow, then BH and then extreme FH and you just do it because it is a pattern you have done zillion times in training, the difficult thing is to actually remember all these different patterns , my guess is that is the reason that we have seen LSW and hirano looking at their notes, who knows

This user has no status.
Mima Ito's coach has a clipboard.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TTFrenzy