This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I was at the final today - Yeah, the matches were one sided, but to see FzD and ML in their prime was amazing!
Although one of the hightlighrs for me was catching up with Adam Bobrow in the commentary box next to where I was sitting.
What a genuinely super nice guy he is! His commentary should be standard at all events!

I can confirm NDH it is a great experience to be there at the arena and hear Adam's commentary at the same time. Happen to me during Czech Open last year. Although Adam sometimes commented points so loud, it was almost distracting for audience and players - but funny at the same time. It's just that the hall was to small.

Adam it the most enthusiastic commentator I ever heard.

Adam is a great commentator but LGL may be the greatest. [...]

Team Adam Bobrow and Richard Prause worked for me the best so far.
Can we find translation of LGL's comments anywhere?

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
From TTDaily instagram

thumbnail.jpg

It seems the guy on the right is checking for boosters :)
interesting what equipment is he using and how accurate it is?

This user has no status.
There is a video, you can find it on YouTube in which the guy checking Simon Gauzy's racket is even explaining what he is doing.
the equipment for measuring rubber thickness and flatness is from DHS and can be bought by everyone. You can find it on tabletennis11.com
about the equipment used for measuring the gas evaporating from the racket i do not know much. Only that it is standard for international ittf tournaments. They lay the sensor down on the rubber and measuring for 20 seconds. Is the gas coming out is 5ppm or lower it is ok.
If you are more curious search for ittf racket Control on youtube or so.

i was curious myself and searched for the video, here it is.

https://youtu.be/fTCbpWmPzTY

the Control guy says the device is lighter version of one for military use ittf adopted.

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
On my phone, so apologies for not quoting.

I wasnt in a blue tracksuit - But that guy sounds cool! Haha

In regards to commentary, I actually don’t think having someone speak in a really technical way is the best thing for the game.

LGL would be great to analyse the match afterwards (I can’t think of anyone better), and it would be really insightful for those of us who cared about that aspect of the sport.

if you want to grow the sport, and be entertained during a match, I haven’t heard anyone better than Bobrow!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
In fact, LGL is very entertaining, at least for Chinese-speaking people. On one hand, he made funny analogies to explain things (though it may be difficult for people if they don't know Chinese culture, for example, he said ML usually traps his opponent as if he ties a crab before steaming it - it is a Chinese cooking style for crab and I bet if you haven't seen a picture, you cannot get what he meant). In the live streaming you can see him on the screen and see his gestures and facial expressions. On the other hand, he shared insider stories of the players and himself, made fun of them, which brings close those stars to viewers (that's one reason I like Adam as he knows many players in person and wants to share who they really are off the court).

Technical wise, he could detect some difficult spins without seeing replays, or during a rally before the CNT player hit the ball, he shouted "Yes. This point is got." and it did happen because he knew it was at sweet spot. But what impressed me most is that he predicted what the CNT player would do, like serve long/short, or return with flip or push (he would explained the reasons), and when you saw the player did just what LGL said, you feel you outsmart the CNT player with the help of LGL :p

Here is a piece of news quoting many of his comments on men's final. You can try google translation, but I would say it is quite difficult without knowing Chinese culture and internet slang. It also says, there was 20 million viewership during men's first SF and two finals that he commentated.
http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2018-02-26/doc-ifyrvaxf0699719.shtml

On my phone, so apologies for not quoting.

I wasnt in a blue tracksuit - But that guy sounds cool! Haha

In regards to commentary, I actually don’t think having someone speak in a really technical way is the best thing for the game.

LGL would be great to analyse the match afterwards (I can’t think of anyone better), and it would be really insightful for those of us who cared about that aspect of the sport.

if you want to grow the sport, and be entertained during a match, I haven’t heard anyone better than Bobrow!

NDH

says Spin to win!
In fact, LGL is very entertaining, at least for Chinese-speaking people. On one hand, he made funny analogies to explain things (though it may be difficult for people if they don't know Chinese culture, for example, he said ML usually traps his opponent as if he ties a crab before steaming it - it is a Chinese cooking style for crab and I bet if you haven't seen a picture, you cannot get what he meant). In the live streaming you can see him on the screen and see his gestures and facial expressions. On the other hand, he shared insider stories of the players and himself, made fun of them, which brings close those stars to viewers (that's one reason I like Adam as he knows many players in person and wants to share who they really are off the court).

Technical wise, he could detect some difficult spins without seeing replays, or during a rally before the CNT player hit the ball, he shouted "Yes. This point is got." and it did happen because he knew it was at sweet spot. But what impressed me most is that he predicted what the CNT player would do, like serve long/short, or return with flip or push (he would explained the reasons), and when you saw the player did just what LGL said, you feel you outsmart the CNT player with the help of LGL :p

Here is a piece of news quoting many of his comments on men's final. You can try google translation, but I would say it is quite difficult without knowing Chinese culture and internet slang. It also says, there was 20 million viewership during men's first SF and two finals that he commentated.
http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2018-02-26/doc-ifyrvaxf0699719.shtml

ok, that makes sense. I guess from a Chinese point of view he’s amazing to have (a bit like Tony Romo commentating on the NFL).

Either we we all need to learn Chinese, or LGL needs to become fluent in English

Reactions: NextLevel
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
China would've lost if they fielded him. They're saving him for the WTTC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
China would've lost if they fielded him. They're saving him for the WTTC.
Sarrrrcastic ... ; )

So guys ... yet another tournament with one of those scores (just the main draw):

CNT Men - Rest of the World 9 : 0
CNT Women - RotW 9 : 0

As Stewie Griffin would put it: "I don't like it, I don't!"

RotW ... where are you guys ...
: )

Last edited:
Reactions: huaweip9
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Rest of the world need to practice better. China leaves nothing to chance.

Sarrrrcastic ... ; )

So guys ... yet another tournament with one of those scores (just the main draw):

CNT Men - Rest of the World 9 : 0
CNT Women - RotW 9 : 0

As Stewie Griffin would put it: "I don't like it, I don't!"

RotW ... where are you guys ...
: )

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Anyone know why Yuya Oshima didnt play?

Doesn't his relative ranking within the team speak for itself? Ueda or Oshima is not a difference maker and I suspect that Oshima doesn't pair well with Niwa in doubles which is what he really needs to do. Ueda is the more sophisticated singles player.

Reactions: huaweip9 and zeio
Jan 2018
Ueda is the more sophisticated singles player.
That. Ueda has been playing really well domestically in the 2nd half of 2017. I understand people would find it awkward unless they have been following the Japanese news.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
I can confirm NDH it is a great experience to be there at the arena and hear Adam's commentary at the same time. Happen to me during Czech Open last year. Although Adam sometimes commented points so loud, it was almost distracting for audience and players - but funny at the same time. It's just that the hall was to small.

Adam it the most enthusiastic commentator I ever heard.

Team Adam Bobrow and Richard Prause worked for me the best so far.
Can we find translation of LGL's comments anywhere?
Enjoyment-wise, Bobrow is actually better than LGL.

The problem I feel with LGL is that his commentary is too insightful, and it takes away my attention from what's really happening in the game. I'm sitting there listening to what he thinks rather than enjoying the matches. My mind is like blank. Ok, I'll just wait for LGL to fill me in on what's happening, what should've happened instead, what's gonna happen, and more often than not, it's gonna happen. There's no suspense. The excitement is gone.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Enjoyment-wise, Bobrow is actually better than LGL.

The problem I feel with LGL is that his commentary is too insightful, and it takes away my attention from what's really happening in the game. I'm sitting there listening to what he thinks rather than enjoying the matches. My mind is like blank. Ok, I'll just wait for LGL to fill me in on what's happening, what should've happened instead, what's gonna happen, and more often than not, it's gonna happen. There's no suspense. The excitement is gone.

Have you watch UFC (ultimate fighting championships) or similar mixed martial arts events? Without a technical commentator the match is very Uninteresting. Listen to technical folks then you will understand why and see how exciting the match is. I guess everyone is different but it is how the MMA events getting better and better and more interesting with time. TT should have learned from other sports.

Jan 2018
UFC? Many times, but even with color commentary it is boring if you don't follow the sport.

In fact, any sport would be uninteresting to watch for the average Joe without commentary, if that person does not play or follow the sport. Take this Pyeongchang Olympics for example, I watched curling the most, which is more technique-oriented not unlike table tennis, and quite a few of the streams don't have any commentary, but by reading up the rules I have a general idea of the objectives of the game. Commentary would help at times when I can't see what the players are going to do, but overall I could figure out what they need to do and the overall direction of the game. But either way, it is interesting as long as one feels interested in following the sport. So, the key lies in the person.

[rant]Back to table tennis, Jiang Jialiang has been commentating at every Olympics for TVB since Barcelona. And mamma mia, he sucks big time as a commentator. The folks on HKTTF would be more than willing to back up that claim. He focuses on anything but the game. You want his insights on the technical stuff? Sorry, try a different guy. You know the phrase he uses the most? 精神面貌, or mental expression in English. The problem is that this term is mostly used in mainland China but in Hong Kong? You get dirty looks. What bloody hell is that dude talking about? Another thing is his cocky attitude. He talks about his glory past at every chance he gets. I can endure all that, but not when he can't even tell the strokes right. He was away(now he is back at the T2APAC) for so long, he didn't even know about chiquita.[/rant] That's when no commentary is better than any commentary. Li Ching is so much better.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Here is the translation of Liu GuoLiang's commentating live on FZD vs. Harimoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUfx9ZuZ3CU
This video is wonderful. I hope we can get Adam's commentary for enjoyment, and GuoLiangs's commentary for learning what he teaches the top players. Wow. CNT would be insane to turn away from GuoLiang. I have never heard any coach do this this well.