WTT Finals Men Doha 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
What happened in Frankfurt with Lin Yun Ju was unexpected and even incredible for many. It also incredible looks now Tomokazu's victory in this tournament. If he does this, then I will take off my hat and will never again be indignant about his heart-rending screams!
Apparently I’ll have to continue to wear my hat and constantly express dissatisfaction with the game and Tomokazu’s loud screams....

• Haha
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
thought uda played ok despite not playing internationally in a while, but overall a disappointing showing from togami/uda pair. will be interesting to see togami/matsushima in the next tournament in a few days. i wonder what doubles pairing they will select for Paris
Uda did fine this time though, but Togami handed Xiang/Yuan the win. Forehand counter was unstable, his backhand was all over the place but he didn't even bother to pivot to improve the situation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
WCQ just executed better than Harimoto. All his shots have "purpose", to try to win the point or setup the point.

Harimoto's shots are more "rally" shots, just to keep the rally going.

Reminds me of Pete Sampras vs Agassi. Agassi really never stood a chance when Sampras was on his game. Sampras was so efficient, needed just a serve and simple volley to win his points. Agassi needed to "work" hard to win points, with long rallies.

Reactions: karupinkun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
WCQ just executed better than Harimoto. All his shots have "purpose", to try to win the point or setup the point.

Reminds me of Pete Sampras vs Agassi. Agassi really never stood a chance when Sampras was on his game. Sampras was so efficient, needed just a serve and simple volley to win his points. Agassi needed to "work" hard to win points, with long rallies.
man Wang is a great player....maybe the best in the world right now at this moment, but i really cant stand how freakishly long he keeps his fingernails LOL. Makes me never want to cheer for him.

This user has no status.

In TT quality is related to how certain you are of the incoming shot (spin, placement, speed). Harimoto is forced to play safer otherwise he wouldn't even get any shots on the table. WCQ was serving insane this whole match - those hook serves were deadly af and almost downright unreadable. Harimoto struggled with the receive all match long while WCQ was reading his serves like a book. Can't win a match like that.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
In TT quality is related to how certain you are of the incoming shot (spin, placement, speed). Harimoto is forced to play safer otherwise he wouldn't even get any shots on the table. WCQ was serving insane this whole match - those hook serves were deadly af and almost downright unreadable. Harimoto struggled with the receive all match long while WCQ was reading his serves like a book. Can't win a match like that.
Nice. What's so special about hook serve? Isn't it just sidespin?

This user has no status.
No way it's so simple. It can go from extreme sideunderspin and sidetopspin to no spin to even pure topspin or pure backspin to reverse direction sidespin, not to mention all the direction changes. It all depends how the ball is being brushed. And at the higher levels its all being controlled by tiny wrist and finger movements plus a single or double fake movements. You can watch a few of Craig Bryant's videos on it to get a feel of how insane it can be. There was a guy on Fang Bo's stream (Sun Ting) who had such baffling hook serves that he forced Ma Lin to change to long pips on the RPB side back then. Even Fang Bo (former WTTC silver medalist) couldn't control the serve properly.

Imo WCQ definitely has one of the best hook serves on the circuit now. Ito also has pretty crazy hook serves too but unfortunately the rest of her game hasn't kept up.

I posted quite a bit on hook serves and its one of my favs too when I need a point. Way better than reverse pendulum or tomahawk serves imo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
The hook can be very hard to read. Fang Bo had a hook serve master come teach his service on his show, and he said when he went to the CNT to demonstrate his service, LGL gave it a try receiving it and he failed 10 service receives in a row.

You see Craig Bryant using it very effectively as well, flummoxing a lot of pros with it. Neither he nor the Chinese guy hides the service, so it's not about that either.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.

See if you would be able to read it lol. I earn a crazy amount of points using this serve in my games - the only thing that really works reliably against it (what I really hate) is a LP receive (all that beautiful effort to disguise like a magician and they just blindly push it with LP and somehow it is a good quality receive!).

I can bet that if Tom Lodziak (a relative beginner compared to Craig) had some LP on his BH he would be able to return most of Craig's beautiful serves without any issues and make Craig look like a fool when all the heavy sidespin is returned to him in a weird way. So to counter it Craig would have to resort to other serves for eg heavy underspin /no spin serves to try to avoid this mechanism. And to me, this is a stupid thing in TT where equipment really compensates for lack of skill in serve return.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
What imo Craig and also WCQ doesn't do (imo it is a missed opportunity), is to have the exact same preparation movement between the hook and the pendulum serve - so the opponent basically has no idea if he has to prepare for a pendulum or a hook.

So basically you pretend to prepare for a hook serve with the full grip (which imo is necessary for the hook serve) - but after you backswing the bat to behind your body (perfectly legal to hide the bat, just not the ball) - you relax your 4th and 5th fingers to transform it to a Waldner serve grip and then use it to serve the FH pendulum (which can also be disguised very well if you work on it).

This user has no status.
The hook can be very hard to read. Fang Bo had a hook serve master come teach his service on his show, and he said when he went to the CNT to demonstrate his service, LGL gave it a try receiving it and he failed 10 service receives in a row.

You see Craig Bryant using it very effectively as well, flummoxing a lot of pros with it. Neither he nor the Chinese guy hides the service, so it's not about that either.
That guy (Sun Ting) has some insanely fast racket movement like a cat - I pretty much only understood the serve in slowmo haha. The really annoying thing is that he is intentionally not showing his secrets on the Fang Bo channel, saying some crap like hit the ball on top of racket for topspin and bottom of racket for backspin - if you look at the slowmos that ain't how he is disguising it - it's all in the wrist and finger movements. Also reports are that he actually taught WCQ quite a lot of his serve secrets (which we will never know).

I only got to understand some secrets on the WRM channel and also from Fang Yinchi, but that's already enough to really cause big problems for my inverted opponents.