WTT Finals Women Nagoya 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
World Table Tennis Pte. Ltd. (UEN ID 201908249E) is listed as having 7 officers as of 2023.

After crawling through the WTT official site and news, I get the following list:
Liu Guoliang, ITTF Deputy President, WTT Board Chair
Khalil Al-Mohannadi, WTT Director/WTT Managing Director
Steve (Stephen) Dainton, ITTF Group Chief Executive Officer, WTT Board Director
Stephen Duckitt, Chief Events Officer/WTT Event Strategy Director
Melissa Soobratty, Broadcast Director/WTT Senior Media Director
Joachim Davy, Content & Creative Director
Kimberly Koh Yu Han, Partnerships Director
Michael Brown, Chief Financial Officer
Srivatsan Ramasubramanian, IT Director
Blythe Fitzwiliam, Business Development Director

Matt Pound, WTT Managing Director

Oh, I see so many light-skinned Chinese and dark-skinned Chinese. My bad, they could identify themselves as Taiwanese.

https://directory.ittf.com/#/officials
https://directory.ittf.com/#/professional_staff
https://worldtabletennis.com/executiveprofiles
https://worldtabletennis.com/teamarticle?article_no=team_council
https://worldtabletennis.com/staffprofiles
tell me, which money is not from China?
and easy, China vs the world in hosting "major" events (compared to pre WTT)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Thank you for stating what I've known for years. Butterfly's biggest market is China. ESN's biggest market is China. Stiga's biggest market is China. The market has been flooded with Chinese money for years. China is the elephant in the room, has always been historically. Deal with it.

China connection key to global growth, says ITTF chief
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202305/30/WS64756342a310b6054fad5c79.html
"It's really important that we work very closely with the Chinese table tennis community, and also the Chinese Table Tennis Association (CTTA) to ensure that together we help grow the game of table tennis," ITTF Group CEO Steve Dainton told China Daily in an exclusive video interview.

"The Tokyo Olympics helped the Japanese market quite a lot, and they had some good results with an Olympic gold medal (in mixed doubles). So they are obviously one of the biggest challengers for the Chinese team in recent years," said Dainton.

"We are looking at different markets. I think in the coming years, we will see India as a market that can start to develop some players. We have Manika Batra, who has had some good successes in recent years. If we can get a couple more Indian players doing as well as her, I think we can see big growth in India."

"We have many stories of great friendships between players, not only in Asia, but also internationally. There's a really fun recent story of Sun Yingsha and Adriana Diaz from Puerto Rico. Adriana is trying to learn some Chinese and Sun is also trying to learn some more English, and they connected very well together," Dainton said.

Steve Dainton's interview at World Cup 2019
International and China, China is the strongest market
The majority of market comes from China
China, Asia
And the ITTF also has the international market
Grand slam level
You want to build a new, higher, and more professional tournament with the CTTA
We're talking right now...many details to work out
but the main thing is how we will work together for the future of the table tennis market
We're having a great discussion
The executive committee had a meeting today
We talked about how to work with the CTTA
Discussion went very well. The executive committee knows we have to work with China

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I'm not really me who is the one alleging it, its pretty much industry knowledge or saying by now.
CTTA people also hold high positions in ITTF/WTT and all major sponsors are Chinese companies.
Its not only Asian federations people talking about this, but also other continents.
I've been saying it on this platform for a mere 2 years already, so this is new to this platform.

Another thing I've been saying is, its very expensive to host a WTT today and it is also more costly for players to take part. You have big TT countries late to WTT, but you can't blame covid, since they hosted other events/sporting etc in 2022 already. WTT need more countries to buy in. Its scheduling (or lack of) is a sign that it is struggling to complete the event calendar. Most national federation does a better job that WTT with scheduling so it is obvious WTT is struggling on this part.
Not to mention events just shows up or get changed/cancelled. Most of the "majors" are held in China or in Singapore (filled with Chinese vips)

WTT is a business arm of ITTF, is not just a marketing arm, but also a sales/revenue arm.
So Japan cost $2.2m, prize money is under 16%, It would be nice to see where the other 84% went exactly.

I once said, TT should alternate countries more, and China should not host any more tournaments, but hey, mixed team world cup, they only get it 5 years in a row.
What countries comes second in hosting, and by how much distance in terms of hosting WTT/ITTF events today?
From a glass half full perspective, Chinese companies doing the bulk of the sponsorship even when events are hosted in other countries to the glory of these countries is laying a stepping stone for them to pitch in and eventually manage their home events themself. Chinese money won't last forever, so if WTT is willing to bear the costs of organization and others, and JTTA is completely uninterested.... Exactly when is the sport going to get holistic alternate countries??

What exactly is the big difference between hosting an event under WTT & hosting an event under ITTF?? WTT is merely an arm as you said. Or is that players are getting bigger prize money now, as compared to before 2019??

Btw, was the budget of Japan really 2.2m or for both world cups?
Anyone with the figure for Doha??
I suppose organizational & management fees may be part of that, but even that shouldn't be 84% of the entire budget.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
From a glass half full perspective, Chinese companies doing the bulk of the sponsorship even when events are hosted in other countries to the glory of these countries is laying a stepping stone for them to pitch in and eventually manage their home events themself. Chinese money won't last forever, so if WTT is willing to bear the costs of organization and others, and JTTA is completely uninterested.... Exactly when is the sport going to get holistic alternate countries??

What exactly is the big difference between hosting an event under WTT & hosting an event under ITTF?? WTT is merely an arm as you said. Or is that players are getting bigger prize money now, as compared to before 2019??

Btw, was the budget of Japan really 2.2m or for both world cups?
Anyone with the figure for Doha??
I suppose organizational & management fees may be part of that, but even that shouldn't be 84% of the entire budget.
Many Japanese and German companies have left table tennis on world level a long time ago.
Chinese company have taken over for quite a while.

You know, even when you drink the bottled water there (all WTT events), the water is imported from China, imported only for the event.
I wonder how it can pass the FDA (which water is part of) so quickly. Well, I won't challenge the legality, but Chinese companies have just so much money (I wonder why) and they are flooding everything.

Yes, maybe one day it will run dry, but since other countries/companies are no longer interested in internationals, and only interested in domestic, this is actually unhealthy in a way.
China domination in projects all over the world is unhealthy, but it is "healthy for them".
people already say, its a China vs China competition, crowd is all Chinese, sponsors is all Chinese.
maybe one day it will run dry or end, will see.

Since WTT emerged, the weight is a lot heavier on Asia and countries with China's influence, especially China. Just look at all those "flagship" events.
Middle East actually lost some grounds too (Qatar Open used to be one of the big ones to aim for) and someone was just saying, Sweden Open is now a Feeder event. Well, its better than the Japan or Korea Open which doesn't exist any more. China in the past would have 2 opens, and a grand final+one world cup. Now there are star contenders, champions, finals, world cups.

For TT to do well, you need every continent to have a major event. But if money is in/from China, you gotta follow the money and listen to your money source and not your customers and that is basically what is happening now.
Eggs all in one basket

2.2m is for Japan only.
figures for Doha, ask Zeio. he spends at least 10 folds the times on the internet than I do.
I'm sure there will be local costs. But if prize money is a mere 15%.... that is a very high overhead, or high profit?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
World Table Tennis Pte. Ltd. (UEN ID 201908249E) is listed as having 7 officers as of 2023.

After crawling through the WTT official site and news, I get the following list:
Liu Guoliang, ITTF Deputy President, WTT Board Chair
Khalil Al-Mohannadi, WTT Director/WTT Managing Director
Steve (Stephen) Dainton, ITTF Group Chief Executive Officer, WTT Board Director
Stephen Duckitt, Chief Events Officer/WTT Event Strategy Director
Melissa Soobratty, Broadcast Director/WTT Senior Media Director
Joachim Davy, Content & Creative Director
Kimberly Koh Yu Han, Partnerships Director
Michael Brown, Chief Financial Officer
Srivatsan Ramasubramanian, IT Director
Blythe Fitzwiliam, Business Development Director

Matt Pound, WTT Managing Director

Oh, I see so many light-skinned Chinese and dark-skinned Chinese. My bad, they could identify themselves as Taiwanese.

https://directory.ittf.com/#/officials
https://directory.ittf.com/#/professional_staff
https://worldtabletennis.com/executiveprofiles
https://worldtabletennis.com/teamarticle?article_no=team_council
https://worldtabletennis.com/staffprofiles
LGL being the chair isn't really a good look even on a surface level, and far more on an in-depth investigation.

This is simply giving detractors fuel.

Jan 2018
I don't see a problem with that. Dainton said he had a very good time with LGL and made it very clear ITTF needed to work closely with CTTA back in 2019. It's only a problem (COI) if they colluded together and CTTA was pulling strings in the background without public knowledge, like what Adham Sharara did (ITTF president, TTCAN president and the owner of TMS International that handled the ITTF commercial and marketing rights).

Jan 2018
That's the thing, their techniques don't change. If anything, they might increase spin. For example, Fang Bo asked the audience what they think matters during these critical junctures while commentating on the LJK vs Togami match, and his answer was mistakes. The Chinese players play as usual, the opponent makes mistakes. Togami lost that last set because he couldn't make routine BH opening loops against LJK's pushes.

In other words, the Chinese just fall back on their training and technique, while the opponent makes mistakes. The Chinese don't step it up, the opponents step it down.
In the latest episode of Takkyu Japan, Mizutani goes over how Togami was just one step away from beating LJK and he made an unforced error. He can't help but asks "what was he doing?" He further states that in the end the difference between win and lose came down to a mistake and it is important for a table tennis player to work hard every day in order not to make that mistake.

【公式】激動の2023年 平野美宇 中国選手を3タテで優勝!未来を担う新勢力も躍動!卓球界総まとめSP後編|卓球ジャパン!
https://youtu.be/j6_cpYrV8II (Japan's IP needed)
Kdy5vzI.jpg

bm9vgGL.jpg

UTh1adr.jpg

pnV6RMd.jpg

1n85CYq.jpg

gXQiTMk.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
He further states that in the end the difference between win and lose came down to a mistake and it is important for a table tennis player to work hard every day in order not to make that mistake.
Tbh, I'm curious if JNT devises some practice matches where the game starts at key points like what we've seen CNT did pre-Tokyo Olympics. Togami often fights hard from early to mid-game then suddenly makes consecutive mistakes so these kind of real match simulation training will benefit him a lot