Zhang Jike CONFIRMED and will play singles at Rio Olympics 2016!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Tony , I don't agree with the view that restricting the number of medals is going to help improve the sport in other countries. Neither do I agree with you when you keep saying that China is doing a lot for the sport .

I will explain my POV. Restricting the number of medals is like implementing reservation or what you call "affirmative action" in the United States.We have seen the effects of caste based reservation in India. Ultimately it has become a tool in the hands of the politicians to garner more votes, and there are financially well off families who belong to the so called backward classes who keep taking advantage of the situation and get easier jobs etc. and increase their wealth even when they practically they don't deserve or qualify for those jobs, they don't need reservation and even they don't give back anything to their community from the hubris they accumulate using the system.

Now if we are going to implement similar country based affirmative action in Olympics , ultimately people are either going to shoot for easy bronze or going to clamor that China should have only have one participant going forward so that we have more "democracy" for the silver ... the moment you give people and easy way out by nature people will take it.
The fact that in some countries the funding is reduced because there is no medal prospect should be handled directly with the sports establishment in those countries and ITTF should . The revenue sharing model should be improved and ITTF should step in and prevent countries implementing moronic laws like they do in NewZealand where deserving players don't get into Olympics. And if the argument is that ITTF does not generate enough revenue, then they need to wake up and start figuring that out first instead of discussing the height of the net and size of the ball ...

Now coming to the constant drum beating on how much China is doing for the sport , I completely disagree with you Tony. They are doing what they need to do the improve the quality of the players in their country and improve their medal prospects. When was the last time did you hear that somebody authorized from the CNT is doing workshop with international coaches ? When did you hear CNT going on a trip to Africa and playing exhibition matches in Nigeria to improve the profile and popularity of the sport. They would rather do that on top of Burz Khalifa when there is enough oil money and endorsements !!

Both ITTF and the leading countries in the sport , China , Germany , Japan, South Korea, Chinese Taipei or Taiwan included have a lot left to do to help grow the sports ....

So from the 2 you listed, that did nothing for the national sport.
In fact, how is Austria?
Sweden sure isn't so well
Taipei also didn't benefit.
So I think it is safe to say that a medal will not do "total wonders" for your country.
The fundamentals of helping table tennis is more than medals - ie life after the olympics.

NZ and RSA for example all had players qualified and NOC decided they are not medal hopes, so did not enter the player - this is reality.

China can loose all medals - I find it only a slight benefit to world table tennis.
If China pulls out of table tennis, I see this is a greater damage than other countries getting medals
This seesaw is not a balance one and ITTF needs to understand the real problem. It is not China winning too much, it is the other countries loosing too much.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I love it when you say China is not doing much.
Especially Africa, and especially the amount of info I can share with you.
But sadly, I am busy at the moment. So let me just list a quick few

China in Africa project - http://ittf.com/stories/Stories_detail_juniors.asp?ID=36928&General_Catigory=&
China giving equipment to Africa (many countries) - link - no time to find
China send free coaches - i'm sure about 15 countries benefit - CTTA pays for the coach salary, local national body just covered accommodation and meals.
China offering free bursary/training for African players in China - if young and still student, they will put them in a school too - all funded by China

I'm sure I can list over 20 different type of instance about China in Africa.
Oh wait, there are tons of exhibition matches - just south africa alone, there is 2 the past 4 years,
Is this enough for you?

sadly your other top countries don't really care too much.
If each top 10 country can look after 10 countries, then we are going somewhere

Last edited:
Reactions: TurboZ
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks for the information, it does provide some evidence on what China is doing in Africa and I am ready to change my mind. But do you have evidence of similar initiatives in other countries ? It also seems a very current initiative after the ITTF dream intiative.

But it does not change the POV that the top countries are not doing enough ?

Why do you need to know which country I belong to ? How does it add any value to this discussion ? That is the particular mindset that is a bit revolting to me :)

I love it when you say China is not doing much.
Especially Africa, and especially the amount of info I can share with you.
But sadly, I am busy at the moment. So let me just list a quick few

China in Africa project - http://ittf.com/stories/Stories_detail_juniors.asp?ID=36928&General_Catigory=&
China giving equipment to Africa (many countries) - link - no time to find
China send free coaches - i'm sure about 15 countries benefit - CTTA pays for the coach salary, local national body just covered accommodation and meals.
China offering free bursary/training for African players in China - if young and still student, they will put them in a school too - all funded by China

I'm sure I can list over 20 different type of instance about China in Africa.
Oh wait, there are tons of exhibition matches - just south africa alone, there is 2 the past 4 years,

Good luck with your pov and not agreeing with me. You don't need to :)
Tell me, what did your country do?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for the information, it does provide some evidence on what China is doing in Africa and I am ready to change my mind. But do you have evidence of similar initiatives in other countries ? It also seems a very current initiative after the ITTF dream intiative.

But it does not change the POV that the top countries are not doing enough ?

Why do you need to know which country I belong to ? How does it add any value to this discussion ? That is the particular mindset that is a bit revolting to me :)

I don't need to waste my time.
You can choose to believe China is doing nothing.
Imo China is pretty much a silent hero in Table Tennis.
China should just pull the plug as the west will always be the same, no matter how much they do for the west.
Knowing your nationality can just give me a better idea on how clueless you could be if China is very involved in your country and confirming that your country not involved in any other

Go and google Chinese training centres in the world, I think 3 or 4 should come up and soon be in action