Looking for a little bit more backhand power

This user has no status.
I’m currently using an OFF- blade (Xiom Fuga) with Xiom VEGA Europe DF (2.0mm) on both sides. The rubber was great for learning how to loop and I still like it on forehand, but I feel like it takes way too much effort to get decent power when hitting and looping backhand. I would describe myself as a developing player who is getting close to being intermediate level. I train with a coach once a week and I’ve finally gotten consistent with back hand looping.

I’d like more speed/power on backhand, but not too much. MX-P or even T05 would be too fast and too hard of a sponge for me.

I see three options:

A). Replace Euro DF 2.0mm with the thicker 2.2mm sponge. (Will this be a noticeable power difference?).

B). Use a different backhand rubber. Something like Rakza 7 soft, FX-S, Rasanter R42, T05 FX, VEGA Pro, etc... (please specify recommended rubber and thickness).

C). Use my spare blade with Euro DF in max thickness. (OFF rated Stiga Infinity VPS)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
If you post a video of your BH you will get much better advice as power is much easily to attain via technique and timing. I recently went through the same thing on the BH. I found out that I wasn't doing a full wrist & arm rotation in the backswing. I was also taking the BH too in front and centered so I started taking the ball towards my left hip. Waiting for a bit longer for the ball to get there and into my zone...huge difference.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
CroneOne's point is a very good one. If you are a FH dominant player with a relatively softer BH, you're not unlikely to obtain the power you are looking for by fixing your BH contact / weight transfer & timing.

Doing so is much easier with your current setup than if you had a faster carbon blade and fast rubber, because you will immediately FEEL a massive difference when doing the correct stroke. The timing issue usually resurfaces against short pimps, dead balls and slow spinny balls.

A fast carbon blade might give you a quality ball without good timing. You will pay later ;) Thicker rubber (2.1mm/2.2mm), in my opinion, changes the feel quite a lot, in a way that I generally dislike on my BH. To cut it short, I get poorer control out of it, despite that occasional good moment when looping far from the table.

So about your options:
A) If you have a stronger backhand and you trust your technique, why not. This is not how I read your post though? If you are just getting consistent with BH looping, maybe you'll needlessly mess with what you've just accomplished. But you could always give it a try and see for yourself.
B) There are plenty of popular choices in all brands, yes. Rakza 7, MX-S, Rhyzm in ~2mm, Vega Pro, Bluefire JP03/M3, etc. Or the softer-sponged variants you listed. Or keep your rubber, if you already like the overall feel and control.
C) Not sure it is a good idea to change both your blade and rubbers. We all have an EJ in us though, waiting to strike... it's not that bad (although 90% of the time it's just aggravating... a big waste of time and money)

Since you have a coach, why don't you ask for their opinion?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Xiom Fuga + Xiom Vega Euro is the racket fast enough to send bullets from your BH side if your technique is solid. Make sure that you use your body on the shot. On the back swing you have to bend your waist down bringing the racket backwards and downwards, and on the forward swing you unbend the waist bringing it forwards and upwards. Watch how ZJK moves his body, this is how to generate a lot of momentum, especially against backspin.

This user has no status.
Spoke to my coach today. He says that after hitting the first ball or two (during practice rally), my wrist and forearm get really tense and stiff when counter hitting. It did seem to help after I loosened up with the wrist and forearm.

As for looping backspin... the coach has always been emphasizing the importance of hip rotation during the backhand loop. I feel like I have decent rotation, but the power isn’t quite there yet. I might need to loosen up with that too.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You can get excelent pace with your equipment regardless, it is in the position, the crouch, the whip, the timing, the impact. Carl, NL, TT Monster and others can tell you I get pace out of an $8 rubber on BH. (The one from the Der_Echte special)... and it is a control class rubber.

You could go the route of a more dynamic and easier to create pace/spin kind of rubber, everyone makes several, like say Xiom Vega Pro, or Xiom V Tour... these rubbers have very elastic topsheet and dynamic sponges that allow you to play macho man table tennis easier...

BUT IS THIS WHAT YOU NEED?

Probably not. You can give a more dynamic rubber a try, and maybe like it and maybe play better, but until you get the timing and impact factors right, don't expect a lot.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you change equipment to make the BH seem faster when it is a technique issue, you will be less likely to fix the technique as a result of faster BH rubber making you think you don't have to fix the technique.

But it might be worth your while to make a video of your BH and see if you can see what you are doing. Seeing yourself can often help you improve your technique.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I had an issue with BH power and without changing the stroke too much i realized I was hitting the ball too far and my hit zone is a bit closer from my body now.

To make it work I make sure I take the backswing with my racket touching my body and with the elbow a bit more forward.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
If you can't generate backhand power then you don't want a harder sponge generally.

Have you tried T05 that you say it's too fast? Rakza 7 I think, is worth a shot to try.

Fuga is pretty flexible as I'm aware. I find flexibility to be quite punishing in passive play, so it can help develop strong attacking habits and mentality. That being said, I recently switched to an off blade and instantly felt a great increase in confidence in my bh, but sacrificed control in the fh. If you have an infinity, test it out in direct comparison to the fuga in one session, regluing the same rubbers. Your focus should be technique, but really enjoying the feeling and capability of your setup I believe can accelerate progress.

This user has no status.
Fuga is pretty flexible as I'm aware. I find flexibility to be quite punishing in passive play, so it can help develop strong attacking habits and mentality. That being said, I recently switched to an off blade and instantly felt a great increase in confidence in my bh, but sacrificed control in the fh. If you have an infinity, test it out in direct comparison to the fuga in one session, regluing the same rubbers. Your focus should be technique, but really enjoying the feeling and capability of your setup I believe can accelerate progress.

Yeah I originally bought the Fuga because I was using H3 Neo at the time and the Fuga is supposedly designed for using with Chinese style hard/tacky rubbber. (Thin and flexy with a hard koto outer layer).

But... then I got sick of H3 and put Vega Europe DF on it. (And it helped my development a lot).

So I wonder if the flexy Fuga blade is a poor match for the rubber. It’s always nice to have extra dwell time, but the soft Vega Euro rubber gives me dwell time also.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Dude have you seen the legs of any actual TT player?

The rubbers in this case don't mean much. Technique is very important, equipment helps too, but you can't have power without power

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
since you mentioned you have a coach, have you taken up your issue of your 'weak' backhand to your coach? what's are his thoughts on this topic?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Yeah. He said that my wrist and forearm are too stiff/tense.

I think once you fix your technique, you will have plenty of power. Getting a faster rubber will be a crutch and maybe slow down progress. Though maybe you will be happier overall... if you want a faster rubber, rakza 7 has the type of speed/kick you are looking for. Just keep in mind that as you loosen up your stroke, the rubber will shoot the ball out pretty fast. Control may become an issue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Crap! You are only hitting a tiny ping pong ball. Try playing tennis and hitting a BH. Watch tennis players. They can generate a lot of power and much more than is necessary for TT. They get their shoulder into it and rotate their waists. In TT this will generally result in far too much speed unless on is brushing the ball to trade some speed for top spin.
BH should not be a problem unless playing away from the table.