Who do you think will win the 2015 Men's World Cup?

• Ma Long

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tang Peng

• Gao Ning

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
That's what i'm trying to work out. I generally think Ma Long just doesn't let Dima play. He plays so tactically well whilst being incredibly shot efficient and making no unforced errors!

Yes I also think Ma Long made Dima bad. He did not gave away any easy points and his placement of the ball shows why is the best. So impressive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
One more thing to note. The reason the Continental Qualification Events happen up till April 2016 is that April 2016 is before May 2016 and the people who qualify through the events qualify before the World Ranking is used. Just saying.

But, hopefully, when the Asian Continental Qualification events start happening, we will all see how things unfold.

But if you read the rules, LGL and the CNT powers that be do not have too many ways to mess with who wins these qualification events.

Carl thanks a lot for the clarification, but I cant understand how many players are eligible to participate in the qualification events, I didnt see anything written in the rules. What Im asking is can China for example send their top 5 players (zjk fang bo ml fzd xx)? Or is it maximum 2 per country in the qualifications also, and if one or both them fail they will qualify through ranking list, as stated.

This paragraph gives a clue

" The ITTF and its Continental Federations will plan the qualification events (dates, placesand number of athletes to qualify in each tournament) before 31 December 2014, as wellas announce the names of the qualified athletes after each qualifying event according tothe following quota and according to the established timelines. "

But I dont see any specific numbers, maybe the number of athletes per country allowed to play in the qualifiers are already announced in the asian TT federation ?

p.s. one last thing guys :p Im not a conspiracy theorist , Its just that LGL gives me the impression of a "dictator" , of course no one is perfect but whenever a chinese player does not deliver results, his career ends up as a sparring or doubles partner. If he didnt like or was not impressed by ZJK's personality I dont think ZJK would be the player he is today. Its a great thing though that he admits his mistakes immediately, he stated that he was impressed by Fang bo and that before the suzhou wttc they didnt think much of him and destined him to be a sparring partner mostly

There is also a video I dont remember the link, and he admitted that Chen Qi didnt get the training attention he deserved, Wu Jingping was also regretful that the coaching staff and himself didnt gave him more chances.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Carl thanks a lot for the clarification, but I cant understand how many players are eligible to participate in the qualification events, I didnt see anything written in the rules. What Im asking is can China for example send their top 5 players (zjk fang bo ml fzd xx)? Or is it maximum 2 per country in the qualifications also, and if one or both them fail they will qualify through ranking list, as stated.

This paragraph gives a clue

" The ITTF and its Continental Federations will plan the qualification events (dates, placesand number of athletes to qualify in each tournament) before 31 December 2014, as wellas announce the names of the qualified athletes after each qualifying event according tothe following quota and according to the established timelines. "

But I dont see any specific numbers, maybe the number of athletes per country allowed to play in the qualifiers are already announced in the asian TT federation ?

p.s. one last thing guys :p Im not a conspiracy theorist , Its just that LGL gives me the impression of a "dictator" , of course no one is perfect but whenever a chinese player does not deliver results, his career ends up as a sparring or doubles partner. If he didnt like or was not impressed by ZJK's personality I dont think ZJK would be the player he is today. Its a great thing though that he admits his mistakes immediately, he stated that he was impressed by Fang bo and that before the suzhou wttc they didnt think much of him and destined him to be a sparring partner mostly

There is also a video I dont remember the link, and he admitted that Chen Qi didnt get the training attention he deserved, Wu Jingping was also regretful that the coaching staff and himself didnt gave him more chances.

Chen Qi had a lot of training attention and opportunities - in fact, some people felt that Liu Guoliang liked him too much and that he got too many relative to his results. Zeio, the Hong Kong contributor on MyTT, translated an article in a post that (I think Li Xiaodan) says that Chen Qi's talent for adjusting to the ball was just behind his peers and that kept him underperforming relative to them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Chen Qi had a lot of training attention and opportunities - in fact, some people felt that Liu Guoliang liked him too much and that he got too many relative to his results. Zeio, the Hong Kong contributor on MyTT, translated an article in a post that (I think Li Xiaodan) says that Chen Qi's talent for adjusting to the ball was just behind his peers and that kept him underperforming relative to them.

That's interesting can u please give me the article if u remember it ? Im sorry for my english, by "Training attention
" I didnt mean training hours or dedicated training but somehow Wu jingping stated that the training they gave him was not efficient and the staff persisted too much on training methods that didnt improve chen qi's results. He also stated that his regrets was were about convincing the coaching staff that they have to change the way of approach towards chen. Talking about the new ball I suppose you mean the transition between 38 to 40 right?

one thing is for sure, when you have a team with so many great talents its extremely difficult to choose and you will always favor some players against others

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
That's interesting can u please give me the article if u remember it ? Im sorry for my english, by "Training attention
" I didnt mean training hours or dedicated training but somehow Wu jingping stated that the training they gave him was not efficient and the staff persisted too much on training methods that didnt improve chen qi's results. He also stated that his regrets was were about convincing the coaching staff that they have to change the way of approach towards chen. Talking about the new ball I suppose you mean the transition between 38 to 40 right?

one thing is for sure, when you have a team with so many great talents its extremely difficult to choose and you will always favor some players against others

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...tting-to-offense-vs-playing-recklessly#885932

Reactions: TTFrenzy
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl thanks a lot for the clarification, but I cant understand how many players are eligible to participate in the qualification events.....

A key word here to look at in the language of the document is: Events. That means more than one event!

The next thing to look at is that it says the number of people who can qualify in each specific event was determined in December 2014. (It actually says that number "will be determined December 2014" but it was written before that date).

Here is a hypothetical situation to help understand what that means: Say the first event, is an event in which, the top 4 finishers will qualify. And only 2 players per NOC (read country) can qualify. Suppose that China sends its top 5 to that event and they place as the top 5. Then the first and 2nd finishers earn their ticket to the Olympic Singles Event and none of the others from China count. Which would mean that the 1st and 2nd finishers and the 6th and 7th finishers earn a spot in the Olympic Singles Event and China can no longer send players to Asian Qualification Events.

Does that make sense? And since it does not list any limit to the number of players an NOC can send, I would assume that there is no limit.

Then the question is, will China send their top 4? Will they send their top 2? Will they choose two specific players regardless of recent performance and current world ranking?

And for that, WE CAN ONLY WAIT AND SEE.

But rest assured, the whole Table Tennis World will know who got sent. And I suspect that the two slots that China can win will be decided in the first Qualification event they can attend, or, by the second at latest. But that would probably mean some form of uncanny upset. Unless the first event only qualifies one player. And I doubt that will happen.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

This user has no status.
a3fdb4b1gw1ex6ws7zybcj20qo0zktd6.jpg

Any better gift for the 27's birthday than the World Cup title?

Happy birthday, Captain Long!

Ma Long's weibo: http://www.weibo.com/u/2751313073?topnav=1&wvr=6&topsug=1#1445313393627

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I seriously doubt that. It should not be possible to keep that focus thru a whole match, especially against a player as Fan Zhendong...

Naturally the technique was not as advanced back (every generation builds on the next and so on) then but in terms of focus and placement, this match could be a contender. Waldner didn't lose a set in the entire WTTC.

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One thing I would say with Ma Long's playing: it looks like he has been really focusing on using those flips as a third ball to open on. And his return of those flips is pretty crazy. It looks like he is content to push and let Fan Zhendong open over the table so that he can get a massive counter loop of those flips. interesting tactics. And man he is ready for the flips wide to the FH. He is just crushing those.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
One thing I would say with Ma Long's playing: it looks like he has been really focusing on using those flips as a third ball to open on. And his return of those flips is pretty crazy. It looks like he is content to push and let Fan Zhendong open over the table so that he can get a massive counter loop of those flips. interesting tactics. And man he is ready for the flips wide to the FH. He is just crushing those.

Now that everyone and their grandma is banana flipping, the question becomes: Who is the best in the world at dealing with banana flips? And I think Ma Long's ability to a step around and rip those bananas with the FH is one of the reasons why he's winning right now. The switch to the plastic ball (which has less spin) seems to have made his pivot FH even more dangerous.

I'm not sure there's anyone in the world that plays this shot right here better than Ma Long:

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=1qXv5LCylSk&p=n#/142;146

And the scary part is that one was only of average quality.

Reactions: NextLevel
Ma Long lost the final of the World Cup against ZJK last year because of ZJK BH flicks...........now he is able to deal with those flicks very well. If you wanna go for the banana flick against ML, you really have to take huge risks, else you will get punished by Ma Long.

Ma Long is still improving, it's amazing.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The main things that worked against FZD were nervousness and a lack of experience. I watched the match again and concluded that Fan is still too tactically and psychologically immature to coach himself through a match like this. I don't believe that XX or ZJK would have failed to find ways of avoiding some of the traps that FZD continually fell into. I mean, Fan didn't even go for fast long pushes. And both Fan and Ma are front-running brethren. They need to be level or ahead to play their best table tennis. So what began as a small gap in the first game just grew wider and wider as the match went on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Now that everyone and their grandma is banana flipping, the question becomes: Who is the best in the world at dealing with banana flips? And I think Ma Long's ability to a step around and rip those bananas with the FH is one of the reasons why he's winning right now. The switch to the plastic ball (which has less spin) seems to have made his pivot FH even more dangerous.

I'm not sure there's anyone in the world that plays this shot right here better than Ma Long:

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=1qXv5LCylSk&p=n#/142;146

And the scary part is that one was only of average quality.

I have always felt that the Banana flick would lose its "importance" over time. The real issue initially was that most people were used to being safe when serving short heavy backspin. So the original issue was that they were not trained to attack the fast topspin or side-topspin ball after the banana flick. I am not either, but I do have training partners who I can practice with if I want to get into it. In the end, it will simply be another way to force a topspin rally against someone who likes to push short.

The one thing I will say is that there is an easy way to deal with what Ma Long is doing, but the problem is that at that level, you can only do what you train. Dima stood at the table in a way that made his going down the line too risky. With the right footwork, he can shut down that serve by giving himself the crosscourt and down the line option. This is what I suspect ZJK would have done or at least have done something to give himself a fourth ball opportunity.

Reactions: SchemeSC