Which physical exercises are the best for table tennis improvement?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Maybe avoid the crutches unless you have some sort of leg injury ;)

I'm assuming you meant crunches? :)

Yep, CRUNCHES. Truthfully they aren't really crunches. But it is easier to say that than detail all the different ab exercises I mix together.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I got to try the jumping up stairs in a squatting position while waiting for a train. That is from one of Suga D's German Team training videos.

It takes more coordination than I realized. It took me doing a few sets to keep my weight forward enough to go up the whole flight of 20 steps without a hitch in the rhythm.

At first I was losing the rhythm half way through and had to reset my balance for a moment.

That one is pretty fun.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I got to try the jumping up stairs in a squatting position while waiting for a train. That is from one of Suga D's German Team training videos.

It takes more coordination than I realized. It took me doing a few sets to keep my weight forward enough to go up the whole flight of 20 steps without a hitch in the rhythm.

At first I was losing the rhythm half way through and had to reset my balance for a moment.

That one is pretty fun.

Awesome challenge! Think i have to try that too. hope i don´t break my back...
[Emoji12]
Here are two more multiball drills. This time Kilian Ort and Sabine Winter. In the second vid they change positions.
[Emoji6]

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Awesome challenge! Think i have to try that too. hope i don´t break my back...
[Emoji12]
Here are two more multiball drills. This time Kilian Ort and Sabine Winter. In the second vid they change positions.
[Emoji6]

It is cool to see how the feeder is mixing the speed a little to force them to read the timing on the ball rather than just having everything one pace. Good stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
One of the best lessons i've seen was two benches placed parallel about 2 meters from each other. Each participant had to sit down on one bench then get up, make two to three sidesteps to the other bench, sit down, get back up quickly and make two to three sidesteps to the other bench. And so on... Certainly as fast as possible.

Steffen Mengel was so fast doing this, my jaw dropped to the floor when i saw that.
Too bad i can't find that vid anymore.

Maybe a little belated.
But I just found the vid.
[Emoji2]

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Maybe a little belated.
But I just found the vid.
[Emoji2]

Good video.

This is also a good thread to reawaken based on some of the recent threads and posts.

Thanks.

the best drill for footwork would be random fh-bh multiball drills. not only it improves your reflex, response and timing, it forces you to have the proper footwork. do it in a slower pace at first and then gradually increase the speed over time.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Good video.

This is also a good thread to reawaken based on some of the recent threads and posts.

Thanks.

Thanks. Didn't mean to play the necromancer, but i just bumped into that vid yesterday.
[Emoji2]

the best drill for footwork would be random fh-bh multiball drills. not only it improves your reflex, response and timing, it forces you to have the proper footwork. do it in a slower pace at first and then gradually increase the speed over time.

I'm not sure if there is any "THE BEST" footwork drill. Some are better some less, but each posted drill helps to reach certain goals, and I would say it depends on what one is working on.

But you're right. The random Multiball helps to work on quickness and decrease reaction time which is pretty helpful in tabletennis in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I have discovered recently that nothing cures table tennis-induced minor back pain quite as well as a 30 km bicycle ride.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews

You have to learn to walk before you can run. Quite a few people amazingly (or not) do not actually know HOW to efficiently move in one direction or another, so if you force them immediately to incorporate randomness into a drill, all you will do is reinforce bad habits. And that is part of the reason even top professional players do a lot of footwork drilling that is not random (Falkenberg, 2-2, etc.). It turns out that a lot of people have to learn how to keep their weight evenly on both legs.

So like other's have said, different drills have different purposes, and also, different players may need to work on different things. Can't make hard and fast rules like this.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
One good routine that you will find particularly beneficial is to work on your squat while you squat. Whenever you find yourself in a public restroom going #2, hover your *** just a few inches about the toilet while you shed your load. Be careful not to make contact!. Hold this position for the duration of your ****. You will feel your quads burn and your abs tighten. (Though the tightening of the abs may also be due to you trying to push out a coiler.)

You will find this method beneficial in two ways - not only will you strengthen your quads, glutes, and core, you will also significantly reduce your chances of contracting the following:

* streptococcus
* staphylococcus
* E. coli
* Shigella bacteria
* Hepatitis A
* Influenza

Good luck, and watch out for splashbacks!

says what [IMG]
One good routine that you will find particularly beneficial is to work on your squat while you squat. Whenever you find yourself in a public restroom going #2, hover your *** just a few inches about the toilet while you shed your load. Be careful not to make contact!. Hold this position for the duration of your ****. You will feel your quads burn and your abs tighten. (Though the tightening of the abs may also be due to you trying to push out a coiler.)

You will find this method beneficial in two ways - not only will you strengthen your quads, glutes, and core, you will also significantly reduce your chances of contracting the following:

* streptococcus
* staphylococcus
* E. coli
* Shigella bacteria
* Hepatitis A
* Influenza

Good luck, and watch out for splashbacks!

You know, there's actually a lot of benefits to the ancient, prehistoric technique of squat-artillery. For one, less chance of a hernia.

Video related. No table tennis forum post would be complete without technique discussion. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
You know, there's actually a lot of benefits to the ancient, prehistoric technique of squat-artillery. For one, less chance of a hernia.

Video related. No table tennis forum post would be complete without technique discussion. :rolleyes:

This is very good. However, for table tennis you must go lower.

You have to learn to walk before you can run. Quite a few people amazingly (or not) do not actually know HOW to efficiently move in one direction or another, so if you force them immediately to incorporate randomness into a drill, all you will do is reinforce bad habits. And that is part of the reason even top professional players do a lot of footwork drilling that is not random (Falkenberg, 2-2, etc.). It turns out that a lot of people have to learn how to keep their weight evenly on both legs.

So like other's have said, different drills have different purposes, and also, different players may need to work on different things. Can't make hard and fast rules like this.

that is why you can start the with a slow pace and tempo with beginners. random drills can be done in all levels. they just differ in speed, placement and tempo. with beginners it can be just be feeding 1 ball every 2-3 seconds and the speed of feeding is uniform and not erratic like in advanced levels.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yogi, I like random elements in drills too and spend a lot of time on them. But there is a place for very structured ones also, which is why even pros do them. It all depends on what you are trying to fix or improve! There is no ONE absolute best drill for footwork. There are lots of good ones.

But enough about this. Now i have to master Slav squat!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Since we started talking about squatting slavs, here are some videos from that region of the World :)

Leg exercises:

Drills with a medical rubber band (not sure what is the right term for it in English):

Shadowplay with a dumbbell:

It should be obvious from the videos what is going on. One important detail about leg drills: always land on your toes first, not on heels.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl