Who do you think will win the Qatar Open 2017?

• Ma Long

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jeoung Youngsik

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 3 reviews
If you are watching the finals Ma long was too soft to FAN in 4th and 5th sets and now 6th set he is back in the game .. I think

Exactly my thought,he seems to slow the game down purposely/strategically just to put the final gear to finish the match in the 6th set...Maybe Ma Long knows that the will never going to beat FZD 4 straight game from now on (FZD is improving after 2015 World Cup of coz) or just to give some face to FZD..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
difficult for us amateurs to know why a set is going this or that way, and so differently than the previous one...

That is why we need Prause so much. I also watched the match between Freitas and Ma Long, and it was like he could predict the game. For example, in the beginning of the match Freitas falls back to play counterlooping rallies away from the table, and loses. Prause: "no, he cannot win like that, he has to stay close to the table". In a little while Freitas plays a few winners right off the bounce. Then Prause points out that Freitas steps around with his backhand flick too much and is too slow to return back for a backhand. Freitas plays a few strong forehand flips. That was amazing.

This user has no status.
That is why we need Prause so much. I also watched the match between Freitas and Ma Long, and it was like he could predict the game. For example, in the beginning of the match Freitas falls back to play counterlooping rallies away from the table, and loses. Prause: "no, he cannot win like that, he has to stay close to the table". In a little while Freitas plays a few winners right off the bounce. Then Prause points out that Freitas steps around with his backhand flick too much and is too slow to return back for a backhand. Freitas plays a few strong forehand flips. That was amazing.

ok maybe i should watch this match.
but if i had had to comment this match for ITTF, i would have said "No, he cannot win like this or even like that, Its MA Long against him... " LOL

says Do you change your rubber in your same blade (infinity...
says Do you change your rubber in your same blade (infinity...
Jun 2016
Read 6 reviews
fang bo tenergy.jpg fang bo backhand rubber in semi final , is it look like tenergy 64 ??

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It was simply not FZD's day. But one thing that stood out was the fact that FZD is becoming very one dimensional (just attack or counter attack). Ma Long can play the mental game way better. May be its the experience and the confidence.

FZD's knee was clearly bothering him. I think after trying to win playing a complete game, he realized he needed to take more risks. Ma Long was surprised and then adapted to take advantage in the 6th game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
ok maybe i should watch this match.
but if i had had to comment this match for ITTF, i would have said "No, he cannot win like this or even like that, Its MA Long against him... " LOL

Surprisingly Freitas fought very bravely and games were quite close. Moreover, he was able to adapt and change to cause more nuisance for Ma Long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Exactly my thought,he seems to slow the game down purposely/strategically just to put the final gear to finish the match in the 6th set...Maybe Ma Long knows that the will never going to beat FZD 4 straight game from now on (FZD is improving after 2015 World Cup of coz) or just to give some face to FZD..

Losing games is not a strategy. He just changed his approach towards FZD in the 6th. ML is not playing on his own, he has some formidable opponents against him who also try to outthink him, trap him and bring him to their own gamestyle.

What happened in the losing sets is that FZD prevailed and imposed his will and ML didnt adapt thats all. No secret strategy there whatsoever, ML is a problem solver and he realised what to do in the 6th

p.s. sorry but its hilarious to think that slowing the game down and not imposing ur will just to press the pedal on the 6th is a good game plan. It makes sense only for 2-3 points in a set just to keep the opponent guessing. We are talking about ML he always wants to play an immaculate performance.

To get a better picture :
There are countless times that ML has a comfortable lead against opponents (8-3 for example) makes an unforced error and he slaps himself

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
FZD is a great player with unmatched brutal backhand and forehand to everyone. However, he was not a great strategist and mentally a bit weak. It may take couple more years for FZD to mature enough to handle huge pressure from big international tournaments. This mental blockage did happen to Ma Long even when he was #1 in the world he couldn't win the WTTC until 2015.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Surprisingly Freitas fought very bravely and games were quite close. Moreover, he was able to adapt and change to cause more nuisance for Ma Long.

And sometimes it might be just random. If you use a coin toss to simulate a TT match, you get scores not that different from what you see in an actual 6 or 7 game match, including some that look like amazing comebacks. I think it was NL who first pointed that out, at least that is the post I remember. We like to put stories to our matches. Maybe there isnt always one, instead it is 2 guys essentially the same level and only one can win.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
FZD doesn't seem nervous to me. Bobrow also said on air that he didn't see any signs of nervousness. Ma Long's serve and receive game is just second to none. He also always seems to know what placements to play and what will trip his opponent up. His backhand is maybe not that powerful but pretty effective. Kind of like a modern day Waldner. He can redirect and block pretty safely and has a mean counter-topspin even if his opening loop is not as powerful as say that from Ovtcharov, ZJK or FZD.

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
The new balls have made the rallies longer, but also way less diverse it seems to me. Now it's all just about hitting hard. FZD shows that almost every ball is counterable.

Matches like these demonstrate that experience is a very big factor which is why I think Harimoto won't go to a world championship final untilhe is at least 21, quote me on this. I think FZD was definitely nervous, at least subconcious wise. Against Fang Bo he had a lot of missed opportunities in the end where he was a bit too indeceisive and missed flicks in the 6th set, then in set 7 he starts hitting them again.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping fun