table tennis tips "Increase Spin in table tennis by Chinese coaching"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
exactly ... my point ...
Well ... because I've seen the therm "tt engineer" so many times from the same "scientist" guy. Also NL's arthritis has nothing to do with me and why should I say something when NL loves to label "trolling" to anyone who differs his opinions?

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
NL is notorious in blaming someone "trolling" while he does it better than anyone here.

Do trolls normally send out hundreds of dollars (or more) of free equipment to other forum members at Christmas time? Just got my fresh sheet of Tenergy 80 and Karis M a few days ago.

NL can call me a troll anytime he wants if I'm spouting nonsense. In the end, I'll get over it. Really generous guy.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
....NL loves to label "trolling" to anyone who differs his opinions?

Actually trolling is a specific thing.

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional ..."

So, when a comment is posted purely for the purpose of eliciting an angry response, that could be called trolling. I try to avoid the term when I can because I know that when you tell someone who posts an inflammatory comment simply for the purpose of creating friction, it does not seem to help much. But the comment NL was referring to may just have been posted for no other reason than to elicit an angry response. Perhaps Tenergy05 didn't know of NL's condition in spite of the information having been presented already. But I doubt it, since the comment was:

How does that prevent a lower stance? Arthritis/inflammation takes most effect when you move a joint. Keep slightly crouched instead of bobbing up and down.

Someone who says that, clearly does not understand RA or is actually trying to cause trouble.

But NL has reason to believe that T05 just may be an infamous internet troll who has been banned from a few TT forums before. Is he right? I am not sure. But if he is correct, this person has done things like this to NL before. If he is wrong, the person's writing style and post content is very similar.

Someone trained in movement analysis can tell almost instantly when watching NL move that he has some form of joint condition that is more than average joint stiffness. Someone watching who has a little common sense can also figure it out if they are paying attention when they watch. In light of the fact that the conversation was about NL's disability, the comment certainly could come off as inflammatory.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Someone who says that, clearly does not understand RA or is actually trying to cause trouble.

My mom has psoriatic arthitis (another autoimmune disorder), and she can be in lots of pain even whilst remaining perfectly still. She switched to a Paleo diet and completely eliminated grains and nightshades from her diet and now she's feeling much better.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, tropical, since I know you have already expressed that Baal and NextLevel do seem to get on your nerves, there is a feature on the website where if someone seems to get under your skin consistently, you can put them on your ignore list. Perhaps that feature would be useful for you.

All you need to do to place a user on your ignore list is to go to their profile and choose the option "add to ignore list" that has a red circle with a slash through it as an icon. Kind of like a no left turn sign would have. :)

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
My mom has psoriatic arthitis (another autoimmune disorder), and she can be in lots of pain even whilst remaining perfectly still. She switched to a Paleo diet and completely eliminated grains and nightshades from her diet and now she's feeling much better.

My laboratory studies autoimmune kidney diseases related to psoriatic arthritis. There is a subset of them that are associated with connective tissue and joint disease. Ironically, one of the best graduate students I ever had actually has a disease in this category, and didn't know it until he began working on them. (He more or less diagnosed himself but then then clinical tests confirmed it). Skin lesions, some renal damage, and really debilitating chronic joint and connective tissue pain so severe that eventually he couldn't actually work in the lab. RA can be horrific. So no, someone will not find it easy to get low on shots, and connective tissue all over is inflamed.

Reactions: Suga D and SchemeSC
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
For the underspin ball, you should attack it by using your forehand. Don't practice your backhand topspin against this ball.

Well maybe -- if you are in your 20s. Although I wouldn't tell that to Ovtcharov. Or Kong Linghui. Or FZD.

Once you reach past your mid 30s, and especially in middle age, unless you are some kind of athletically preserved freak, like the NBA player Vince Carter, this is really bad advice. Watch Zoran Primorac. He was able to maintain a pretty high level for an unusually long time by being very balanced and able to open effectively from either side. Consequently he stayed in balance.

Trying to imitate Ma Long is about the worst thing you can try to do if you don't have the physical capability to move that way. If you try to step around and unload like that, what will probably happen instead is you may get there, but you won't move far enough to your left, so if you make the forehand it will be pretty weak, you will be off balance, and opponent calmly counters the ball to the other counter, and you are screwed. In the worst case, all you do is injure yourself.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Well maybe -- if you are in your 20s. Although I wouldn't tell that to Ovtcharov. Or Kong Linghui. Or FZD.

Once you reach past your mid 30s, and especially in middle age, unless you are some kind of athletically preserved freak, like the NBA player Vince Carter, this is really bad advice. Watch Zoran Primorac. He was able to maintain a pretty high level for an unusually long time by being very balanced and able to open effectively from either side. Consequently he stayed in balance.

Trying to imitate Ma Long is about the worst thing you can try to do if you don't have the physical capability to move that way. If you try to step around and unload like that, what will probably happen instead is you may get there, but you won't move far enough to your left, so if you make the forehand it will be pretty weak, you will be off balance, and opponent calmly counters the ball to the other counter, and you are screwed. In the worst case, all you do is injure yourself.

Good point, especially with the new poly ball, you can counter-attack every ball. Yes, the advice should be applicable only to a specific level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I practice backhand topspin against chop all the time. One of my best strokes. There is a sense on which ERT is right but he didn't fully discuss it. I also find at the lower levels vs chop and definitely at all levels if power is not an issue that the backhand topspin is a harder stroke to read in terms of how spinny it is. I can win whole matches against opponents unfamiliar with my game just off my backhand topspins. Hitting powerful forehand is not as special to them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Good video. I can't loop heavy chop with my backhand even I have a decent one (if I use inverted both sides) unless I open my racket more. But doing that will invite the looper to easily attack my back hand loop or simply return it with another chop. Same thing to forehand if it is a weak loop. But at least with forehand with all waist, leg, forearm, wrist motions I can overcome the heavy back spin and make my loop a lot harder and stronger than back hand. Of course I have to be in good position to attack the heavy chop. Fortunately most chop is slow enough so I can move to my left to attack it.

Reactions: Suga D
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Something Coach Li Kewei sometimes tells me, "who do you think you are, Ma Long?". Then he shakes his head.

It is good to imitate top pros in some things. I think, though, you need to be careful which pros you pick to copy, and what things they do. If you are 6'2", maybe you don't want to pick FZD as your model. No matter what your skill level, if you are 45 years old, maybe trying to routinely do a WLQ step around on a third ball is folly. Obviously, some underspin balls it is not hard. But as a routine for a third ball attack? :eek:

The track great Carl Lewis lives part of the time in Houston and coaches sprinters and long jumpers on the track team of the university where I teach. We were both at the gym waiting for a machine and I commented that he still looks incredibly fit, like he could still long jump 24 feet. He replied to me, "maybe, but I know better than to ever try it".

But I liked the video anyway. I love watching the weight transfer.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I like the third ball attack video a lot. Something Li Kewei has emphasized to me a lot is that how you move and reset immediately after the serve is so important that it has to be considered part of the service motion itself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I practice backhand topspin against chop all the time. One of my best strokes. There is a sense on which ERT is right but he didn't fully discuss it. I also find at the lower levels vs chop and definitely at all levels if power is not an issue that the backhand topspin is a harder stroke to read in terms of how spinny it is. I can win whole matches against opponents unfamiliar with my game just off my backhand topspins. Hitting powerful forehand is not as special to them.

Yes, you are right. (I have explained at the world class level, they can't finish the point with the BH against backspin).

Reactions: tropical
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes, you are right. (I have explained at the world class level, they can't finish the point with the BH against backspin).

It's probably language but you need to distinguish between "backhand vs backspin" and "backhand vs heavy backspin or chop".

The players who can play choppers with their backhand use a slightly more shoulder driven technique vs chop so it makes it easier for them to adjust. Ma Long has a powerful backhand, but it is not used to get larger in response to the incoming ball. I think this video is more to practice his technique if he had actually play points to win with his backhand he would use more shoulder.