Who do you think will win the World Championships?

• Ma Long

Votes: 65 37.6%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 67 38.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Timo Boll

• Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
Seriously I could watch Koki Niwa play for days, so interesting

NIWA playstyle is really unique... he has many flaws in his games, but he's got truly unique world-class skills that even the best Chinese don't possess

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
That previous set was the clincher, even if Koki wins this one he'd need nerves of steel and be the clutchiest guy around to come out on top...

Decent tournament for him though, beating Ovtcharov

Also chinese commentary just said that 200 Zhang Jike fans came to this tournament!

Reactions: samsara
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Why Niwa insists on his backhand serve? At least, do it short if you don't want to get killed by a third rocket ball...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
NIWA playstyle is really unique... he has many flaws in his games, but he's got truly unique world-class skills that even the best Chinese don't possess

Top players except Ma Long and Fan Zhendong have flaws in their game, they just do things so well that it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews

Reminds Lin Gaoyuan. Ridiculously close to the table, hit everything hard. Except that LGY seems to have better backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Why Niwa insists on his backhand serve? At least, do it short if you don't want to get killed by a third rocket ball...

By the fourth game, he just decided to start trying anything be could think of. He usually loses 4-0 or 4-1 to FZD, he cannot muster serious belief playing Fan. I remember the Asian champs where ZJK played FZD, he ended up admitting that he just could not control the power. If Niwa and FZDwere on the same national team, I suspect that Niwa would figure something out.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've gotta say, I would love to see that noisy little "Japanese" kid take care of Xu Xin. I like XX. I like him better than Ma Long or ZJK. I definitely like him more than Harimoto. But, it would be really fun to see the kid come through anyway.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
gg wp. Fan too strong for Koki. Harimoto is going to throw everything he has at XX, but he shouldn't really stand a chance. Anything else would be insane

FZD was FAN-tastic as usual...
I hope this tournament will give more confidence to NIWA. I feel he has lacked this confidence in major competitions for many years after his major wins (WJTTC or National Championships). He is only 22. He cannot rival the power of the Chinese, but if he gets even better in serve/receive ...

He's being interviewed by the Japanese TV. He says he was totally defeated and he could not express his normal game based on chiquita receive and 3rd ball attacks because his serve was not good enough today. He says still he managed to lose some sets only 9-11 so if he could manage to deal with FZD chiquita receives, he could have done much better in the match. Best 8 though is his best finish and he has to be happy with just that.

Lan

says ahh that sucks, thamks for writing back though:)

Lan

says ahh that sucks, thamks for writing back though:)
Jan 2011
So who is playing who in the semis?